Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

qmail forwarding, please please help

sarel

« on: March 05, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
I'm writing this in despiration after literally trying everything I can get my hands and eyes on. Let me try and explain.

First of all , one hell of a learning curve from windows to linux, feels like the good old days where you actually had to know what you are doing.

SME is fantastic!!!! except for this little issue I can't seem to resolve.

I have a domain name called home.com with fixed mailboxes hosted externally. SME get's this, no problem(fetchmail).

I have a sme boxed called home.com at location1. Also a box called home.com at location2, both behind adsl routers

I need both boxes to send all email to unknown users, from the lan side, for home.com to my isp's smtp server for distrobution.

Looking at solutions like winroute, vpop etc, on windows no problem, but I insist on using sme(too much time and effort invested to give up now).

any, any help will be appreciated

S

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:03:17 AM »
If your ISP requires smpt authorization, then you won't be able to do this with SME 6X.  You will have to upgrade to 7X as it provides smtp auth.

Paul
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

sarel

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:16:17 AM »
Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply.

My ISP does not require authorisation. I had a look at sme7, ran into the same problem as discribed above. I've also tried the forwarding option while creating the user, just get a message to admin it's looping the message, which I can understand, same domain.

Does it have something to do with the smtproutes?

What's the possibility of running postfix on a sme box, I've searched for it, and havn't found a contrib thus far.

S

Offline pfloor

• +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:43:19 AM »
I guess I am unclear of what exactly you are trying to do.  Do you have your clients using SME as pop3/smtp and/or imap?

If so and you want SME to send all outgoing email through your ISP's smtp server then on the email panel in the server-manager under "Address of Internet provider's mail server" put your ISP's smtp server name.

Paul
In life, you must either "Push, Pull or Get out of the way!"

sarel

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 07:26:48 AM »
Hi Paul

Let me explain it this way, I've got john, nancy and sam at home.com.
Nancy and Sam get their emails on-site, from the SME box, which get's it from the isp using fetchmail. John is using a laptop and get's his email directly from the isp, because of travel etc.

nancy and sam can send internal emails to each other, but when they try to send to john, which is not a user on the sme box, they get unkown user error.(domain is the same ie home.com)

I need the SME box to send all unkown users to the isp's smtp server for processing.

I've created a user john on the sme box, and told it to forward to john@home.com and the message understandably loops on the box, notifying admin.

I'm have also been using as you suggested the smtp function in the SM panel. The box works like a charm, just this same domain name problem.

If I had two sme boxes with the same domain on the same site I could set it up by extending the domain names to server1.home.com and server2.home.com, change the aliases and smtproutes, which should work, but I need this box to send unknown users for the same domain as the sme box, for processing at my isp's smtp server.

The solution I've got currently running is setting up the clients to smtp directly to the isp's smtp server. This comes with concerns, more bandwith used and no virus and spam control and also logging as the clients sends out directly.

I hope this is more descriptive?

Thanks again for the interest and help on this.

Sarel