Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Can't Connect

$ilent Troopa

Can't Connect
« on: January 02, 2002, 05:58:37 PM »
Hi I have been running e-smith 4.1 for a couple of months and as far as I know none of the settings have been change on e-smith or the other computers connected to e-smith but for some reason one of the computers connected to e-smith can't find the machine in the network.

The computer that is having problems finding the e-smith box is running Win2k, it can connect to the web for browsing etc but I can't find the server when I look in Computers Near Me?

The win2k box can see the other computers and they can all see the e-smith box and the other Win2k box....

Any ideas?

Thank you!

mark harris

Re: Can't Connect
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2002, 11:03:40 AM »
did you check your gateway and the dns server on your win2k box make the dns server on the win2k box same as the ip address on your server
do you use DHCP or static ip address

$ilent Troopa

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2002, 08:30:15 PM »
Hi Mark and thanks for your help

I have the Win2k comp setup with a static IP (I've tried it with DHCP but that never helped) I have the DNS IP set as my e-smith gateway (192.168.1.100) When I type this IP into my web browser it takes me direct to the web site that is on the server and I can still access the web just not browse the files?

$T2002

mark

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2002, 04:17:56 AM »
try mapping the network from the run line ie
\servername\share dont do it through the network places