Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

routed IP problems have I got a DNS problem ?

brit-dub

« on: June 04, 2006, 12:21:23 PM »
Hi

I’m running SME Server 7.0rc2 I used a conexant modem router with NAT setup. But now I have 5 static IP’s I have setup a voyager 205 in a routed ip mode as per the instructions given on my isp http://www.zensupport.co.uk/KnowledgeBase/article.aspx?id=10514

I have setup a two radius servers (using fedora c5) which are connected directly to the modem via a switch. These work perfectly with never a problem.

The SME on the other hand is not working very with the routed ip setup, from the network internet connectivity is very sporadic, when there I cant get to a web page I’m also unable to ping the modem from the network or from the server, but no problem from the other servers connected to the modem.

The only thing I can think of is it’s a DNS problem as this is the only thing I don’t setup on the SME server. But I’m not 100% sure how to check this or how to change it.

Any advice would be very welcome.

TIA

brit

brit-dub

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 02:39:39 PM »
Ok can anyone tell me how to set the DNS ip for sme 7 please

TIA

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:42:30 PM »
brit-dub

There is a button called "Modify corporate DNS settings" on the "Domains" tab that will allow you to set a DNS server address for your SME 7 box.

This entry is intended for use only if you have custom internal/external DNS servers - that is, internal servers serving different numbers than would be returned from a public DNS server, or serving informaiton that is simply not available publicly.  For example, your SME box might need to know that "mail.yourdomain.com" is 192.168.3.55 instead of 202.123.45.44 which the rest of the world uses...

Other than that, the SME box is doing DNS by itself - starting with the root servers and working back, and so doesn't need to be pointed to any off-site DNS server.

Can you access the internet by IP address when it isn't working by name?  If not, the problem is not in the DNS...