Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Email Delivery

roballen

Email Delivery
« on: March 01, 2006, 01:30:48 PM »
Hi everyone

I have installed several sme servers, and they work fine for their intended use.

One site however has a problem. If they have an email, perhaps 3Mb and send or 'cc' it to perhaps 20 people, the server then sends the 3Mb email out 20 times. On an ADSL 256k upstream link this can take some time.

Is it possible to have the email delivered once to the ISP and let them handle the multiple destinations with their faster link?

I have experimented with setting the ISP's SMTP server in the admin panel, but it still seems to send each email to the individual recipient.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

gardnc

Email Delivery
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:48:14 PM »
Regardless of anything else, each seperate domain in the CC list would necessitate an individual SMTP converstaion with that domains SMTP server and a redundent transfer of the 3mb file ( redendent to your SME, but not to the remote SMTP server).  By carryforward logic, probably every email address in the CC is going to be treated as a seperate transmission.

Perhaps you could establish various mail lists at your ISP or someother email host, and you could send the emails to one of the lists where it would run only one time for each list and then be seperated by the ISP or lists server to resend multiple emails?

roballen

Email Delivery
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 09:07:32 AM »
Hi Gardnc

That would not really be practical. The list would change on a constant basis.

How I would like the email to be handled is available on postfix, but after lots of hunting around on google it would appear that qmail is not able to handle the email queue in this way.

I know that Microsoft Exchange is able to transfer email in this way, as another client had this same problem and moved to Exchange as a solution.

I'll keep looking and, post back if I find anything.