nk2005

Here's my SME hardware, what's yours?
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:25:47 PM »
Hello,

I'm running SME 6.0.1 at home for 4 users on the following clone PC:

P3 866 Mhz
512MB RAM
2 x 200GB (SME Software Raid 1)

WWW & SMTP Mail relay for a couple of my domains (light traffic)
Fileserver for my videos and MP3s

The only contribs I use is SMEAdmin, Spamassasin & ClamAV.  The websites I host display just static pages.

I'm looking at moving over to SME v7 and was thinking of building it in to a spare Dell Opiplex GX110 SFF PC I have which is a Celeron 2.5Ghz with 512MB DDR RAM and moving one of the 200GB disks into a external USB case.  But would this Dell PC be "overkill" for my requirements?

Please also post your hardware and usage.

Cheers   ;-)

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:24:32 AM »
Over kill ... maybe but its better to have too fast a machine then one that is not fast enough. This means that you should not have any performance issues if you decide to do other things with your sme server.

I normally upgrade about every 1-1.5 years. Normally the upgrade also means going to a different version. I started with version 4 something with a 166 mzh (only used it to share an internet connection)then upgraded to to version 5 on a  266mzh (started also using the server as an ftp and mail server, only complaints were that navigating the ftp was slow.) moved up to version 5.6 running on a 400 mzh system. Upgraded to a 600 mzh system with an 80 gig drive astill running 5.6 and I ran this untill about 4 weeks ago when I upgraded to version 6.0.1.  

My current setup is a 1 gig system with a 160 gig HD and 375 mb ram (hopefully will be increased to 512 by years end)and my goal is to get rid of my windows file server and move all the data over to the sme server. Future plans also include seting up a couple of game servers  and setting it up as a network shoutcast server.

My future upgrade plans/wishfull planning is to get a dual processor AMD board and 2 AMD MP processors (I should never have to upgrade if I get one of these) and run a raid setup. It will be overkill but I just want to play with a Dual processor system.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 05:55:46 AM »
We run 6.0.1-01 on an Compaq ML370 ... 3 x 36gig Scsi hdd's on a hardware raid 5

P3 ... 2 x 733 Mhz cpu's and 1.5 gig of ram.

We have just over 20 ppl browsing and e-mail as well as another 20 internal email ... some ppl are blocked from external email/web.

We host our on web site as well as e-mail ... I have quite a few extra contribs running on the system as well.

The system seems to idle at about 4% CPU utilization so it doesn't seem to have any problems at all of what I have noticed, the system checks about 500 odd emails/day ... rejects more then half most of the time :) ... seem to be a lot of spam.

All in all I think you can never have an over kill system because you never know what you will require out of the system.

We will implement some other tasks for the system soon like Document controll database etc so it will have a bit more to do soon.

At home I run a Cell 2.8ghz with 2 x 80gig hdd's in a software raid 1 and 1 gig of memory.

I run 3 pc's and a laptop off it and well what can I say ... the server just idles.

Regards,

Tib

jddunlap

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 02:55:36 AM »
Dell PowerEdge 6450 x4 PIII 700Mhz 1GB Ram x4 18GB SCSI Hardware RAID 5

Offline bcliburn

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:53:58 AM »
I got a Gateway (something) with 2.8Ghz Celeron and 80Gbx2 and 512mb ram.  That's my domain controller.  I have an old emaching 900mhz celeron with 40Gbx2 drives and 512 mb ram, that one is open to the internet.  My last SME server is a no name brand with a 700mhz and 1 60gb hd and 512ram I use that one to test out ideas and contribs and updates on before I apply them to the other two.

livinginx

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »
First post, figured a good place to start :-D

IBM xSeries eserver
4x Intel PIII 700Mhz Xeons
1.5GB ram
3 37.6GB SCSI HDDs
3 18.2GB SCSI HDDs
3 RPSs

All in a HEAVY frickin case LoL
No current users.  Just using the hardware to test software and learn new stuff.  Pretty soon, it will be hosting my business website, email, and collaboration after I move.