Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

problem creating new host names in 6.0.1-01

philipat

« on: February 26, 2006, 06:58:29 AM »
Hi,

when trying to Add or Modify a host name I'm constantly geting
"Error occurred while modifying hostname".
Any idea where to look for the problem?

Best Regards,

philipat

gardnc

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 10:45:27 PM »
What, specifically, are you tring to add?

philipat

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 04:38:10 AM »
Let's say the server name is "myServer" and my domain is dyndns.org. So my FQDN is myServer.dyndns.org. I'm trying using Server-Manager to create a new host name like www.myServer.dyndns.org.
Initially when doing that I was geting error messages. Yesterday I updated the instalation using yum. The error message is no more there. But the new name is still not visible neither remotely nor localy. myServer.dyndns.org is visible from everywhere.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Fil

gardnc

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:59:43 AM »
Subdomains like myServer.dyndns.org don't use the www prefix.  In reality www is a subdomain to the domain name itself.  If you are attempting to add www.myServer.dyndns.org then that is probably why the failure ssince there can only be unique subdomains (and two www's would not be unique).  Try it without the www prefix.

If you are not adding the www and just adding myServer.dyndns.org as a domain, and it fails, it shouldn't and I wouldn't know where to go with that.  We use subdomains frequently on version 6.0.1 and never have had prolems.

Larry

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: problem creating new host names in 6.0.1-01
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 04:58:43 PM »
Quote from: "philipat"

when trying to Add or Modify a host name I'm constantly geting
"Error occurred while modifying hostname".
Any idea where to look for the problem?

The bug tracker. If you don't find a bug matching the symptoms you are seeing, then create a new one.