Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

VMWare Server on SME Server 7

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
Re: VMWare Server on SME Server 7
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2007, 05:27:13 AM »
gcc, cpp and few other dependency packages are not part of default SME installation.
You will need to read how-to closely and install them via yum (so the dependencies are resolved) before you run vmware-config.pl.
Once you done with installation and configuration of VMWare server, you can (and really, really should) remove gcc, cpp per same how-to, via yum remove command.

Offline HomePlayer

• +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
great work on this topic;
i used this howto http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=30838.msg162804#msg162804 and when it asked for the gcc i typed "/usr" or "/lib" not sure any more now ( edit - extaly i sad "no" and it went on), the install went on and all seems oke it's working.
<--- just wondering why not more ppl are using and or working on VMware it's a great tool
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:35:16 AM by HomePlayer »

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:08 PM »

<--- just wondering why not more ppl are using and or working on VMware it's a great tool
A lot of people use it.

Offline syscom

• +0/-0
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2007, 12:18:40 AM »
I got my SME 7.2 virtualized under Ubuntu 7.04

:D

Offline jameswilson

• +0/-0
    • Security Warehouse, trade security equipment
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05:55 AM »
Hi, I have a slight issue, it isnt a SME one I think its a Vm one

ANyway i have a sme 7.2 install running a website mainly and vm
On the vm there are a few machines, inclusing a couple of sme's doing various things a test asterisk server and a win 2k server.
I use the win2k server with terminal services to view a database using a windows front end of a mysql db.

All this works great but
I need to have fax on the win2k server.
I have looked into adding hyla fax to the host sme, but this look over complicated for my simple requirements, so i plugged a serial modem into com1 and expected win 2k to be able to see it. Alas no lol

I assume its a permission thing on the sme host? But cant seem to see any relevant errors in the logs, all seems ok but it cant see the modem. I have tried a couple of leads and tested it on another windows machine.
Any suggestions pleases?

james

Offline HomePlayer

• +0/-0
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline HomePlayer

• +0/-0
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »
if some one can mail me the prog then

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2007, 08:41:33 PM »
if some one can mail me the prog then
And what is wrong with downloading the file yourself... I posted the link in the other topic, to which I already provided the link.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline arne

• +0/-4
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
Just a small question ..

I have read this tread trough, and it is one thing I do not understand.

Why should vmware server be installed on SME 7.2 ?

For what practical purposes could a virtual server running under SME 7.2 be used for ?

(If the question were the oposite: How to run SME server as an virtuel server using vmware it would be something else.)

Offline HomePlayer

• +0/-0
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2007, 08:14:18 AM »
thats simple, http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=39130.0 here i run a win xp on VMware host SME, also i run a VMware that runs a centOS whit SUGARcrm.

so not only for testing, its great for doing things that cant be done on Linux and or SME

Offline thomasch

• +0/-0
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »
Just a small question ..

I have read this tread trough, and it is one thing I do not understand.

Why should vmware server be installed on SME 7.2 ?

For what practical purposes could a virtual server running under SME 7.2 be used for ?

(If the question were the oposite: How to run SME server as an virtuel server using vmware it would be something else.)

Arne,

Exagerated example :

Your company own a super fast XEON server with plenty of RAM and BIG harddisk. Then SMESERVER installed to run a DNS server, webserver, mail server and gateway because your boss heard Smeserver is the best in doing the job.

Your new boss  want you to install a new MSSQL server for the backend of a General Ledger software built by himself using VB.NET that can only run under Windows, he also want you to install a very Secure IM Server that run only on BeOS,
and he insist to use Netware as file server to play with because he never touch linux and he never will.

Your only option are :
1. do it
2. get fired because he will find somebody to do it.

Without VMware you have to setup :
- one Windows box
- one BeOS box
- one Netware Box
- doing some cabling
- prepare new rack space for the new servers

With VMWare :
No, you don't have to set up another box, not even a single cable.
Just install Windows, BeOS, and Netware on top of a vmware server (which is installed inside a SME server) and voila, you have one box with four server/OS.
Your boss happy and you get promotion and bonus because you save company several thousands dollars.

It's me exagerrating, but in real life, small and big companies saving cost this way..  :lol:

Offline Per

• +0/-0
    • Bends - better on the internet than in reality
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »
I have done a test install of VMware Server on a fresh and updated (071126) SME 7.2.
Then added the commands to the existing HowTo in the Wiki: http://wiki.contribs.org/Vmware.
Please read and correct (edit) it. :hammer:

A silly question:  When i run virtual machines inside VMware on a SMEserver-host I can't see any activity in the console window, but I can connect thru SSH (SMEsever-client) and remote desktop (Win-client). I guess it's something about missing window management im SME... Am I right or have I just missed something?
/Per
NO! I refuse to put some clever latin sentence here!

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »
per,
I guess that you asking about vmware-remote-console installation on the same SME server there VMWare server is hosted? It is possible on generic Linux on Windows host, but SME doesn't have graphic environment (x-Windows) to support console.
You will need to use VMware remote console from the different workstation.

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »
Arne,
Exagerated example :......
Very visual :-)

In the real life its very common, that a small company have mission critical MS Windows-only application(s), but e-mail, web, and other Internet services are better served by SME. Running that application specific Windows server inside of VMware server hosted on multipurpose SME server, saves a lot money and frustration for them. Most of the resent hardware is underutilized for the typical daily job anyway.