Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

getting files to sme to install.

mindsawol

« on: February 17, 2006, 08:17:45 AM »
okay.. i have been reading all the faq's and how toos.. but i haven't been able to find out how to get the rpms to the server to install.. can someone help me out please? i want to install webmin and kde if possible.. but i am confused.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: getting files to sme to install.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 02:38:35 PM »
Quote from: "mindsawol"
i want to install webmin and kde if possible..

Neither are possible. Both are incompatible with SME.

mindsawol

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 09:48:19 PM »
webmin installs fine.. haven't configed it yet.. kde is another story.. i haven't dl'd all the files yet..  

my brain finally kicked in reading around abit..  i think if you hit alt-f2 you get command line.. then you just cd /user/e-smith/files/share/ibay/**** (your file name) then its just the basic rpm -i (webmin file name)  (don't quote me on the exact path to the file. its been a few days since i started installing stuff.)

where i got confused was where to get to command line and when i dir"d all i saw was the config files. didn't dawn on me to cd to the usr file or home file thats kinda burried.. lol..

i will let you know if i get kde to load.. may be awhile though.. my pc that has it has decieded it doesn't like being on the network for some reason lol.. :)_

Offline dsemuk

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 09:57:05 PM »
SME is a server OS, a GUI isn't needed, if you need KDE you need another OS.

Dave
--
Esmith/Mitel/SME server  :-D...

mindsawol

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:05 AM »
its not that i need a gui..  i just like to tinker a bit.. just for kicks.. and since its just a test server atm on virtual pc .. i got nothing t loose.. i enjoy seeing what i can and can't do.. and its been interesting working with sme..  seems like sme has quite alot to offer  (now i just need to figure out how to get yum to work .. lol..)

so far my only problem is it likes to screw up the networking on the pc i am running it on inside virtual pc.. i know its something i am doing.. but i haven't a clue to what it is...... yet anyway.. lol.. but thats the fun of it..

Offline beakersloco

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 09:48:18 AM »
Use the wget command to get the files from a website to your sme server  goto the following site

http://sme.swerts-knudsen.dk/

His howtos are prettty in depth and will show you how to use the command to get rpms to your server.  Since you are a beginner SME server user   I would recommend using some of the howtos that are in various places on the net then expand into doing the custom stuff as you learn more about the system.    

This will run on a very low end machine so thier is no excuse for not running on a separate machine ...  you could probaly pick one up a 400 or 500 mzh systm off ebay or find something slower that  someone is throwing out.  You will learn far more by playing around with it on a separate machine.
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.???" Edmund Burke -Irish orator, philosopher, & politician

For the battle is not yours, but God's.   2 Chronicles 20:15

mindsawol

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »
thank you for the link.. will be looking into it soon.. ( this weekend when i have time to sit in some peace and quite .. lol..) always interested in the how too's :)

and i have a machine set aside.. i need a case.. just haven't got around to buying one yet..  i may get around to getting one soon.. my old p3 750.. lol.. think it only has 384 megs of ram.. but who cares.. don't need much for a tinker server..

and i have been using the virtual pc  until i get my other sys working and learn alittle before jumping completely in..

thanx again..

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 10:15:57 PM »
webmin is incompatible with SME template-based config files. SME is HIGHLY customized server and requires addons made specificaly for it (and correct version). Generic admin tools that work with config files directly will not work.

If you do any changes via server-manager, your config files are rebuilt and changes made via webmin are lost. Use webmin only with generic distros (and so KDEl)