Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

HUGE PROPS - Backup2 Coder

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 10:56:20 AM »
Unless you have some strange security settings on the SBS I would expect that to work so long as you provided a correct username/password with appropiate privilleges for the SBS. It is almost identical to what I am doing very happily.

Have you checked the log files on the SME box ? What do the error messages say ? Are you certain the error is on the SBS box and not on the SME side - Incorrect syntax, invalid paths to the files you want to back up or something else which is relatively simple that you have overlooked.

stocky

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 03:08:11 PM »
so you have ur SME box on the internet side NIC of ur SBS box?

so I am right in sharing \\servername\sme_bu for example and should be able to save files to it with a suitable username & pw setup on the SBS box?

I will have to look at logs over the weekend and see what it is doing....

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
Absolutely not. the server is on the network side of SMEand internet services from the server, which are few) are accessed by port forwarding from sme

stocky

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 11:10:37 PM »
Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood...is you setup the same as the diagram i posted? eg SBS has dual NICs, and the SME box is on the internet side of the SBS box passing required traffic thru to the SBS box...

I cant seem to see my share from the internet side NIC of the SBS box, so I must have to change a setting somewhere.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 11:19:51 PM »
SBS Server is not multihomed. Only single NIC 0nly. SME ETH1 is the border entry point

stocky

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 11:25:01 PM »
ok, different setup....might enable ftp with IIS and try rsync and see if I can work that out.

Backing up will be nice, but not crucial, as the mail is all passed to exchange anyway and that is what is important.

thank you for your input  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 12:14:27 AM »
Why do you want to multihome your SBS ? turn that around - why have SME running Gateway - Server in this config. Consider server only on the internal network.   All my systems have everything sitting on eth0. Eth1 is STRICTLY perimeter security. Maybe you need to consider something like IPCOP which has a DMZ. I fear when you achieve your goal, you will also have compromised your security ...

stocky

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 07:23:00 AM »
The reason is the app provider for the SBS box requested the unit be configured that way.....I didnt like like the idea, but we had to work with them.

Might back up to a USB device and forget the sbs tape drive

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 04:58:42 PM »
Quote from: "stocky"
any help or suggestions gratefully accepted!

A forum search would find this:

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=30224.0

Darrell

stocky

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2006, 11:33:59 PM »
Thanks Darrell,

I hadnt got as far as identifying if it was a permissions issue yet to know what to search for!

Thanks for the tip, I will try those command lines and see what results I get and will post my results on that other thread for others to see as well.

:-D  :-D  :-D

Offline electroman00

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 07:34:47 PM »
Quote from: "p-jones"
Maybe you need to consider something like IPCOP which has a DMZ.

Just wondering if you have a IPcop setup with SME...?

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 08:26:32 PM »
I have an SME sitting behind and IPCop

Offline electroman00

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2006, 10:11:21 PM »
p-jones

Nice to here.

Since we started here with Smoothwall we have kinda stuck with it.
We have a few IPcops but most are Smoothwall.

We have a number of them running 24/7 for 2 1/2 + years.

Everyone I have seen with these setups had some sort of
compromise event which lead to the deployment of this type of firewall.

I suppose you also had similar such an event?

I guess I should ask what made you set one up?

Offline NickCritten

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »
Darrell,

I'd also like to add my thanks for an extremely well put together package.  backup2 is getting installed on all future servers

I'd tried backup2ws in the past but could never get it going for some reason!

I didn't think backup2's implementation of backup2ws was working for a while either, but its started working now.... For some reason I'd configured it to do a daily backup at midnight but it didn't start doing it for 2 days!  Oh well, its working now :-)

I've yet to try out the backup2USB, but it'll be great once I've got it working... No more remote logins to perform manual backups...  YAY!

Great work Darrell, if you're ever in sunny Wales, I'll take you out for a Pint or 6  :pint:
Nick

"No good deed goes unpunished." :-x...

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2006, 06:22:28 AM »
Electroman,

I needed a firewall. I read about ipcop and it fitted the bill more than perfectly. I wasnt going to get embroiled in the ipcop-smoothwall flame. SME is perfect for SOHO envirement  but does break a few rules by having server and firewall combined and it lacks a dmz. Thats not a criticism, it is a fact and it becomes horses for courses and each has a worthwhile role within the bigger picture. eg I have a group of users who use a db based on MS SQL. That cannot be changed. It requires a terminal server or an mssql server and it must live within a dmz. SME handles all the other server requirements (and better). SME has enough flexibility to slot into either enviroment...are you getting the general idea of where I am coming from ?