Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How to show additional contribs / rpms

AndyCocker

« on: February 16, 2006, 09:04:17 PM »
Hi,

Spent some time searching this, but either there's nothing there, or I used the wrong keywords.

Is there a command to show what extra contribs / rpms have been added to an SME server?

How would one find out what had to be reinstalled prior to restoring a backup on a customised installation?

Andy

pkn

Re: How to show additional contribs / rpms
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 11:48:34 PM »
Quote from: "AndyCocker"
Hi,

Is there a command to show what extra contribs / rpms have been added to an SME server?

I don't believe so, no.

How would one find out what had to be reinstalled prior to restoring a backup on a customised installation?

If you asking about restoring a backup to the same version of SME Server that you created the backup, that's straightforward:  Compare installed packages to the package set on the install CD.  I.e.
  # rpm -qa | sort > installed_pckgs.txt
  # mount /mnt/cdrom
  # ls /mnt/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS | sort > default_pckgs.txt
   (/mnt/cdrom/e-smith/RPMS for earlier versions)

Note that the package set listed in default_pckgs.txt  doesn't represent all packages that are installed by default... some packages are probably provided with the CD but not installed (see /mnt/cdrom/CentOS/base/comps.xml).  Also, you can't just diff the two files to find the difference... the default_pckgs.txt list will contain "duplicates" of some packages for various architectures, and it will contain file extensions that aren't provided in outout of 'rpm -qa'.

If you are asking about restoring a backup from one version to another, thats a different, but similar, story.  

HTH,

Paul

AndyCocker

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 10:37:13 PM »
Many thanks

Andy

Offline dmay

• +0/-0
    • http://myezserver.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:17:36 AM »
The SME Server creates a log of all rpms installed via the script /etc/cron.daily/rpm. See the Server Manager > View log files > rpmpkgs. You can initiate a manual log file update and view the results from the command line:

# /etc/cron.daily/rpm
# pico /var/log/rpmpkgs

However, that only displays rpms installed. If your external package was not in rpm format it will not show up in this log file.

I recommend you create the directory /root/contribs. Then for every non-standard program you manually download and install, put all the rpms or files required into this directory.

Yum handles all the standard SME Server updates plus will handle most dependency issues for non-standard rpm installs. Use yum to install all rpms. Any rpms downloaded by yum are placed under /var/cache/yum. So you'll end up with two key directory trees:

/root/contribs
/var/cache/yum

When you want to find out what has been added to your SME Server, you simply need to look into the above two directory trees. This is also where the originals will be should you need to perform a reinstall. Make sure you backup both directory trees.

Darrell