Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Thoughts about a hosted/upgraded CentOS SME 7 server

guest22

« on: February 16, 2006, 03:58:38 AM »
Hi,

I was looking at www.unixshell.com and was wondering if I could use their base CentOS install and upgrade it to SME Server. Would it be as 'simple' by adding Yum repositories and update?

Anybody any thoughts or 'feelings'  about this please ?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Thoughts about a hosted/upgraded CentOS SME 7 server
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:02:48 PM »
Quote from: "guest22"

Anybody any thoughts or 'feelings'  about this please ?

SME server is designed as an "in-office" server and internet gateway appliance. I expect there are better distributions for hosted web servers - e.g. have a look at gplhost.com.

guest22

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:46:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Charlie,

my objective is to see wether it can be done with SME Server specifically. Wether it is within a hosted environment or upgrading a stock CentOS install (Xen based or not). If it can be done based on a hosted server, it should be easy with a big 'in house'  server.

Basically the question is: can a default CentOS install be 'upgraded' to a full blown SME Server?

Thanks,
RequestedDeletion

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:36:40 PM »

Basically the question is: can a default CentOS install be 'upgraded' to a full blown SME Server?

It should - we just layer packages on top of a stripped down CentOS base. You'll need to work through CentOS/base/comps.xml to determine which packages you need. There is no one package which lists everything else as dependencies, although smeserver-support will drag in a lot for you.

Why don't you try it and report?

guest22

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 03:55:50 AM »
Thanks Gordon, as usual I will try and report.

Maybe someday we have a modular system where 'any' linux distro can be used though the use of a specific 'glue' layer, So SME Server/contribs would be/maintain the SME Server packages and a set of 'glue plugins'.

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 04:45:49 AM »

Maybe someday we have a modular system where 'any' linux distro can be used though the use of a specific 'glue' layer, So SME Server/contribs would be/maintain the SME Server packages and a set of 'glue plugins'.

We're not very far from that today. The distro dependencies we have are that we're RPM based, and that our templates generate RHEL configuration files.

Changing that to be apt/deb based and generate Debian configuration files is a significant pile of work, but I don't think there's a serious technological barrier to doing so.

However, I certainly have no plans to do so and think it's quite a big distraction. Let' keep our eyes on the target...