Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Canon MF5730 printer problem

Offline Ness

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tapiochre.co.uk
« on: February 15, 2006, 12:08:24 PM »
Hi,

Using SME Server 6.0.1, I am adding a new printer to a USB port on my server. The printer in question is a Canon MF5370. Its a scanner/laser printer and only has a USB connection and it juist WON'T print.

Here's the story...

I created a new printer in server-manager and associated it with the second USB attached printer. Plugged it in, adjacent to an existing, working USB attached printer, an HP printer.

[At this point, note there are also two additional USB ports on the front of this server...but I'm not using them just yet, but I may do so...)

Loaded drivers onto client PCs and installed new network printer, pointing to the Canon which is being nicely advertised by the server.

BUT... prints to this printer just don't turn up! The Windows "Print Test Page" feature sends the print to the server, but it just sits in the queue.

Tested printer by plugging PC directly into printer by USB and all is well - Windows Test Page comes out immediately.

Reconnected Canon to SME and installed the useful Printerqueue Administration (LPRng) contrib by Peter Schubert.

Sent a test page via that contrib to each printer. The print arrived at the HP but not the Canon.

Swapped USB ports between the Canon and the HP.

Again, the test page sent via the contrib arrived at the HP but not the Canon.

So the USB port, cable printer etc are all good but I just can't get data from SME to print to the Canon...

I once had the 'pleasure' of using a Canon MF colour printer with SME and had similar problems.

Does anyone know if Canon printers (or others) need to have a form of protocol directly between the PC and printer for them to even accept prints? Is this the problem? Is SME not passing a keep-alive kind of message between the two?

Is there a way to set a form of passthrough between the client PCs and this Canon so it thinks it is REALLY talking to a MS 2003 server or similar?

Do hope you can help!

Chris
Chris Elliott - SME Server user and helper

Offline irian

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:20:27 AM »
Does anyone know if Canon printers (or others) need to have a form of protocol directly between the PC and printer for them to even accept prints?

It is called host-based printing.
If that is the case, it will not work with the server.
You have to connect it directly to the PC.

Irian