Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

USB port identification for printers

Offline Ness

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tapiochre.co.uk
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »
Hi,

I've been using a contribs 6.0.1 server for 2 years. Installed on a Shuttle XBox, it has 4 USB ports, 2 at the front, two at the rear. I have had a USB connected HP Printer attached to one of the rear USBs for 2 years with no problems. It's configured in server-manager as being attached to the "First USB attached printer" (usb/lp0).

What I don't understand on this point is, what does "First" mean in this context? Is it:

a) The first printer of a number of printers I attach to ANY USB?
b) The printer I attach to what the server recognises as its first USB of a number of USBs
c) If I move the printer to a different UBS port on the server, will it still work or will I need to reconfigure or reboot the server?

What's the process?

I'm asking because I want to move the printer to a USB port on the front instead and I'm also having problems installing a second USB printer. [More on this one in a separate posting entitled "Canon MF5730 printer problem"]

I installed the useful PrinterAdmin Contrib to see if I could assess this for myself but I wasn't able to figure it out.

Could anyone guide me on this point please?

Cheers

Chris
Chris Elliott - SME Server user and helper

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: USB port identification for printers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 05:32:16 PM »
Quote from: "Ness"

What I don't understand on this point is, what does "First" mean in this context?

The first one found by the linux kernel when it scans for usb devices. When you a second printer, the new printer might end up first, the next time you reboot.

I've never looked closely at this issue - if you find a bug, or something that doesn't work right, please report via the bug tracker.

Offline Ness

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tapiochre.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 06:59:45 PM »
Thanks Charlie

And for clarity, when does linux do the scan, I presume at boot time?

I will see if I can do some tests and might put a bug on the tracker if I think it is warranted.

Thanks again

Chris
Chris Elliott - SME Server user and helper