Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Access to server-manager from remote networks

Yvick

« on: February 03, 2006, 12:16:34 PM »
Hello everybody,

I'm running a 6.5RC1 in server only mode.
Access to server-manager is therefore restricted to my LAN subnet.

I have set up incoming address translation on my firewall, redirecting all https to my server.

The translation works fine (I can access my webmail no pb).

However, the server manager refuses the connection.

I have not found a document specifying how to set up server-manager security to accept connexions from anywhere.

I am aware this is a security issue but I really need this, since I am on the road all the time.

Any ideas ?

Yvick

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:19:24 PM »
Sorry , please discard the previous post.

Putting in 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 in the remote access / remote management panel does the trick.

Cheers,

osiris9510

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 04:35:33 PM »
Please be careful in doing that! lol!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 09:10:57 PM »
Quote from: "Yvick"

Putting in 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 in the remote access / remote management panel does the trick.

But nobody sensible would do that. Only allow in specific addresses which need access.

djhomeless

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 06:54:19 PM »
Its really up to the individual admin doing a risk assesment based on the data he/she stores. If its vital, or business/mission critical, then I 100% agree.

However, I am in a similar boat as I work from multiple offices, and quite frequently find myself logging onto wifi hotspots. Sadly, in all of these cases the standard ports are blocked (even IMAPS).

Geoffrey

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Use SSH keys and an SSH port forward to localhost:443
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:48:45 AM »
Quote from: "djhomeless"

However, I am in a similar boat as I work from multiple offices, and quite frequently find myself logging onto wifi hotspots. Sadly, in all of these cases the standard ports are blocked (even IMAPS).

I have yet to find a WiFi hotspot which blocks SSH outbound (once you have authenticated), though I am sure there are some.

Configure SSH keys (not password-based SSH, please), and configure an SSH port forward to localhost:443. That way you can access the manager without opening it to the world.