Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME\Contribs

riff_79

SME\Contribs
« on: January 19, 2006, 02:47:58 AM »
Just thought I'd pop in and Say Hi.  

I have been using SME Server on and off Since E-smith 4.11.  Routing with Dialup and, the contribs for dialup control really made it shine back in those day, through my eyes.  Not only was it much cheaper back in those days to purchase older computer hardware  (Routers were expensive, let alone a dial-up router) (I was running it on a Pentuim 166  with 128mb Ram!!) but it was stable! (Something I have not seen in hardware dial up routers) and very functional. Ibays! DNS Server! Backup! It was all there!  I remember being excited about downloading the new versions, abit over dialup, when they where released. Its like coming back to a old friend. It took days to download the releases!

I then got distracted with other Server Distros, in the name of my Geeky Nature. Having recently done a quick roundup of the current players in the market, and installed each on my test box, I have once again concluded to go ahead with SME Server (6.0.1 stable for now) for my server needs.

Its exactly what I want and need. Its friendly and fast for when I need to use the Server Manager, and its down, quick and  dirty when I use a teminal.  Its based on a damm fine concept, and I'm thankful that you guys and gals keep this project alive, as the other side of the fence is not looking that good from where I sit.

I have been using Windows 2003 Server, but it is not for me.  Sure its easy to use and has a good interface, but in reality it is not what I need. It’s about stability and functionality, not how many services I can fit into a box.

SME is easy to use, but can be challenging in the very same respect with mods etc, but it has rarely let me down. I think there is big things install for Linux, this year, and I hope that this distro also flourishes again this year.    

Ben.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: SME\Contribs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 03:29:28 AM »
Quote from: "riff_79"
I have once again concluded to go ahead with SME Server (6.0.1 stable for now) for my server needs.

Please consider trying 7.0pre1 instead. Otherwise you're saying I've wasted the last year!

riff_79

SME\Contribs
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:59:45 AM »
Opps. I did Mean 7!

(Kick me)