Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Yum 7b9

ElFroggio

Yum 7b9
« on: December 27, 2005, 05:21:45 AM »
What happened to the yum configurations? Up to 7b8, they would do both the SME updates and the CentOS updates, now in 7b9, it's only configured for the SME updates.

Can I create and enable the SME updates? Is there a reason for having them removed by b8 to b9?

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Re: Yum 7b9
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 09:57:26 AM »
Quote from: "ElFroggio"
What happened to the yum configurations? Up to 7b8, they would do both the SME updates and the CentOS updates, now in 7b9, it's only configured for the SME updates.

Can I create and enable the SME updates? Is there a reason for having them removed by b8 to b9?

All of the details, with bug references are in the changelog of the smeserver-yum package. In short, we don't need to apply every CentOS update as soon as it appears and we opted for stability and reduced churn.

These commands are what you need:

Code: [Select]
db yum_repositories show
db yum_repositories setprop <reponame> status enabled
db yum_repositories setprop <reponame> Visible yes

ElFroggio

Yum 7b9
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 06:13:46 PM »
In short, we don't need to apply every CentOS update as soon as it appears and we opted for stability and reduced churn.

Thanks for the info.

Does it means that you will apply the CentOS updates in the SME repository or it's up to us to enable the CentOS when we feel there is something that applies?

And again, thanks for the great job.

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
Yum 7b9
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:34:54 AM »

Does it means that you will apply the CentOS updates in the SME repository or it's up to us to enable the CentOS when we feel there is something that applies?

The plan is to push any critical updates through the smeupdates repository.

And again, thanks for the great job.

Thank you - it really is nice when people take the time to say thanks.

ejfowler

Yum 7b9
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 05:20:22 AM »
I recently upgraded a SME 7.0beta8 to SME7.0beta9 using yum, and noticed that the CentOS repositories remained enabled in yum.conf, the software installer panel, and the db. In a fresh install of SME7.0beta9, the CentOS repos are disabled by default. Is this a bug? Are upgrades from one beta version to the next via yum supported or recommended?

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
Yum 7b9
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »
Quote from: "ejfowler"
I recently upgraded a SME 7.0beta8 to SME7.0beta9 using yum, and noticed that the CentOS repositories remained enabled in yum.conf, the software installer panel, and the db. In a fresh install of SME7.0beta9, the CentOS repos are disabled by default. Is this a bug?

Not really (but all issues with the beta series should go to the bug tracker first).The same behaviour would happen on a CD upgrade. We didn't add code to reset the db values to the new defaults as we would then have to cater for that during each upgrade.
Quote from: "ejfowler"

Are upgrades from one beta version to the next via yum supported or recommended?

yum upgrades are fine, as long as you run a reconfiguration reboot from the Shutdown and Reboot panel after the yum upgrade.

P.S. if you want to go back to the defaults, delete the /home/e-smith/db/yum_repositories file before doing the reconfiguration reboot.

Offline hanscees

• +0/-0
    • nl.linkedin.com/in/hanscees/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 08:57:17 PM »

These commands are what you need:

db yum_repositories show
db yum_repositories setprop <reponame> status enabled
db yum_repositories setprop <reponame> Visible yes

This does not work for me.

I do:
db yum_repositories setprop base status enabled
db yum_repositories setprop addons status enabled
db yum_repositories setprop base Visible yes
db yum_repositories setprop addons Visible yes

but when I try to use yum it does not use these new repo's:

[root@smeb9show ~]# yum -y install gcc4.i386 gcc-c++.i386 automake autoconf bind-utils bind-libs  rpm-build redhat-rpm-config
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
smeaddons                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
smeos                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
smeupdates                100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files

So what is missing???

Hans-Cees
nl.linkedin.com/in/hanscees/

Robert

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 11:40:14 PM »
Quote from: "hanscees"
So what is missing???

expand-template /etc/yum.conf

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 12:50:08 AM »
Quote from: "Robert"
Quote from: "hanscees"
So what is missing???

expand-template /etc/yum.conf

Or go the Software Installer/Change Software Installer Settings/Save.

Note that extra steps may be required for command line yum work. The focus is on making the Software Installer easy to use - dropping to the command line is for experts, not normal users. We disabled and hid the CentOS repos to  avoid potential damage by inexperienced admins. A "Show hidden repositories" option might be a nice one to have.

Also, without enabling the repositories, you can do things like:

yum --enablerepo=base install ipsec-tools

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
Yum 7b9
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 09:57:56 PM »
Gordon,

What is the purpose of yum_available?

Rob

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
Re: yum_available
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 01:46:46 AM »
Quote from: "robwellesley"
Gordon,

What is the purpose of yum_available?

Rob

It's a cache of the output of "yum list available" in order to speed up the panel display as "yum list available" can take quite some time to complete. It's rebuilt nightly, but I think we should remove it in future and wait for, or display, the output of the yum command directly.

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
Yum 7b9
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 01:59:33 AM »
So if there are rpms listed, does that mean they are "available"?

I ask because...
1.  we are now rolling out 7.0 and have a good test environment setup now so can test and verify, etc.
2. yum_available lists a pptp_conntrack_nat rpm which usually relates to fixes for pptp, especially our good old random GRE error :)

to summarise, on my test box the YUM_AVAILABLE lists a bunch of uninstalled rpms; the YUM_INSTALLED lists all the 'applied' updates;  YUM_UPDATES is empty

Rob