Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 7 update procedure: from beta 7 to final version

ngodfrey

« on: December 22, 2005, 02:55:20 AM »
My small office server has just suffered hardware failure and a new machine is on order.

SME7 seems close to completion, and the remaining bugs on the tracker seem minor.  I'd be tempted to go for the SME7beta8 if I knew that it would be possible to for a not very experienced user to upgrade it through future betas and RC's to the final version, though yum or the Server Manager interface.

Or am I being stupid, and should I stick with SME6.0.1?

Very annoying - I was planning to replace the hardware with a new SME7 server once it was launched!

Thanks for your thoughts,

Nigel.

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 06:37:58 AM »
AFAIK there will be no upgrade path from beta versions to final; you'll have to install clean.  That's why I'm currently only using the beta for mailservers and router/gateways/VPN endpoints.

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 07:34:50 AM »
Quote from: "MSmith"
AFAIK there will be no upgrade path from beta versions to final; you'll have to install clean.  That's why I'm currently only using the beta for mailservers and router/gateways/VPN endpoints.

Actually, we expect Betas, at least from Beta8, to upgrade smoothly to the final release.

Thanks,

Gordon

Offline gordonr

• +0/-0
    • http://www.smeserver.com.au/
Re: SME 7 update procedure: from beta 7 to final version
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 07:39:06 AM »
Quote from: "ngodfrey"

SME7 seems close to completion, and the remaining bugs on the tracker seem minor.  I'd be tempted to go for the SME7beta8 if I knew that it would be possible to for a not very experienced user to upgrade it through future betas and RC's to the final version, though yum or the Server Manager interface.

I am not aware of any showstopper bugs in 7.0beta8 and the more people prepared to upgrade at this time, the better.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: SME 7 update procedure: from beta 7 to final version
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 04:40:40 PM »
Quote from: "gordonr"

I am not aware of any showstopper bugs in 7.0beta8 and the more people prepared to upgrade at this time, the better.

Restore from tape backup is broken, which some might consider a showstopper. I'm sure it's not too hard to do a command line workaround, if someone knows what they are doing, but it's certainly worth being aware of that limitation.

In answer to the original poster, I'd suggest that upgrade via CDROM will be better tested and more likely to be completely painless.

ngodfrey

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 05:58:24 PM »
Thank you - not only does this sound technically well planned, but the people are helpful as well.

I've been using SME 6 for a couple of years, and it's a great tool for my small business.  Lots of recommendations coming from theatreland in London...

Thanks again.

Offline Neririn

• +0/-0
7.0 Final from RC3
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 12:31:51 AM »
Can RC3 users upgrade via yum to 7.0 Final?  Or is a CDRom Upgrade recomended?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 01:00:51 AM »
Lots of recommendations coming from theatreland in London...

I'm glad to hear it. One of the sites that Gordon and I maintain is a great theatre company in Sydney.

If we're ever over in London, we'd love some tickets :-)