Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"Managed ADSL"

Offline dilligaf

• +0/-0
    • http://www.willcraft.com
"Managed ADSL"
« on: December 02, 2005, 12:00:04 AM »
In Alberta Canada, through TELUS you can get standard ADSL packages called "OFFICE VELOCITY", or you can get their business class ADSL called "TELUS MANAGED ADSL"
There is a major difference in the cost.
IE: the Office Velocity is about $85.00 mo, the "Managed ADSL" is $450.00 mo.

The problem we are seeing is multiple locations who need to access a main office server over terminal server etc are always experiencing dropped connections with the entry level TELUS package.

The Managed solution Telus put in CISCO routers etc, and make the two location look as one network etc, and it is far more stable.

To the point, does anyone know of anything in between that would work well to create a better network so the remote terminals are not always dropping?

Or is there specific things I should look for in the Windows 2000 Server TS settings?
There have been a few tweaks done here and there in TS to address timeouts etc but we still have trouble, and the trouble is at more than one location.

Any recommendation / help greatly appreciated!

Offline kruhm

• +0/-0
"Managed ADSL"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 08:20:14 PM »
This is sme forum. You probably have better luck asking at http://www.dslreports.com/

also, you are probably going to have to find someone who knows how the telecom industry works in CA as it's different in all countries.

Most DSL services are 'best effort' services, not guaranteed services. In other words, you get what you get. If you have poor dsl performance, it doesn't suprise me. It varies upon geographical location.

Most likely, your dsl upstream can't handle the load, slows, then drops. Your only option is to increase the service to a guaranteed service.

I can't imagine the 450 is a DSL service. Most likely it's some type of factional/full T1/E1 service that they manage. Because of it's increased upstream, your performace should certainly improve with this type of connection.

I've run into cases where T1's are misconfigured on the ISP side of the network. In which case, you can't do much about it other than change providers.