Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME or Kuadra?!

fargo

SME or Kuadra?!
« on: November 26, 2005, 01:13:22 AM »
After Moses of kirux.net has released his community edition, I'm really confused over which way to go, SME or Kuadra!

Kuadra is built over SME 6.0.1 and has many additional contribs already built-in, such as Internet filtering, anti-spam/virus, CRM, and fax.

Any suggestion please?

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 02:08:41 AM »
Personally I intend to move along with the 7.0 development line, but I've downloaded Kuadra and intend to set up a test server and play with it.  Why not, after all?

fargo

SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 02:14:24 AM »
Quote from: "MSmith"
Personally I intend to move along with the 7.0 development line, but I've downloaded Kuadra and intend to set up a test server and play with it.  Why not, after all?
Yes, sure why not! We need just to hear from those who tried it and see what they think. Stability, support, and seamless integration between OS parts are the most important things.

persisto

Why not?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 01:36:59 PM »
Indeed, why not:

1)The Kuadra ES Community Edition offers the same functionality of the Kuadra ES supported version, but with one domain and 6 users.

2)Not sure it would be wise to confide data to "Kuadra SQL Server" (Mentioned in the doc in relation to SQL Ledger, which according to its own info is only compatible with DB2, Oracle and PostgreSQL)

3)Download Kuadra ES Community Edition via BitTorrent :hammer: (Soon) :hammer: (emphasis are mine)

kiruxadmin

Re: Why not?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 07:01:57 PM »
Quote from: "persisto"
Indeed, why not:

Not sure it would be wise to confide data to "Kuadra SQL Server" (Mentioned in the doc in relation to SQL Ledger, which according to its own info is only compatible with DB2, Oracle and PostgreSQL)

Download Kuadra ES Community Edition via BitTorrent :hammer: (Soon) :hammer: (emphasis are mine)

The Kuadra ES includes MySql and PostgreSQL (8.1) by default, and offers full compatibility.  Also, the new version 11.1 which includes free shared calendars from email client (thunderbird) is already uploaded to the mirrors are in the process of putting the bittorrented image un place. It should be ready to download by November 20 or December 2 at the latest.

If any questions you can send kirux and email or post  in the Kirux Community Forum.

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 04:47:48 AM »
That six-user limitation is a deal-breaker right there.  There's one CD that'll be a coaster.

fargo

SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 06:29:48 AM »
kiruxadmin:

Is Kirux a one-man project? It is not clear how you provide support to your potential customers. Your site does not even have a support page, only contact us form!

kiruxadmin

Six User Limitation
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 05:18:05 AM »
That six-user limitation is a deal-breaker right there.  There's one CD that'll be a coaster.

Statistics have shown that most small businesses have an operational staff of 6 or fewer people. Larger organizations usually opt for a fully supported version.

It is important to note that this is a community edition. If it is your prerogative to burn a perfectly good cd and use it as a coaster so be it.

kiruxadmin

kiruxadmin

SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 05:21:45 AM »
Quote from: "fargo"
kiruxadmin:

Is Kirux a one-man project? It is not clear how you provide support to your potential customers. Your site does not even have a support page, only contact us form!

Kirux Technology Solutions is not a one-man project, if so he would be one tired man  ;-) . We have not had a need for a support page as our customers have no issues with contacting us directly via e-mail or via phone. Our support is direct, efficient and timely. We do have a forum which many visit for information and some support for the community edition. You are all invited to participate.

kiruxadmin

fargo

SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 06:21:04 PM »
Quote from: "kiruxadmin"
Kirux Technology Solutions is not a one-man project, if so he would be one tired man  ;-) .

Oh, really! Then how come these users were found in the 'users' directory after clean install:

moses  moses01  moses02  moses03

All members of your group are named Moses then ;-)

We have not had a need for a support page

Hmmm, you have not had a need for a support page! So, your kuadra is 100% stable and bug-free :pint:

We do have a forum which many visit for information and some support for the community edition. You are all invited to participate.

Yes, a forum with about 4 topics and censorship  :hammer:

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
Re: Six User Limitation
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 10:26:42 PM »
Statistics have shown that most small businesses have an operational staff of 6 or fewer people. Larger organizations usually opt for a fully supported version.

It is important to note that this is a community edition. If it is your prerogative to burn a perfectly good cd and use it as a coaster so be it.

Heck, I know *families* now that have more than six computers in their homes!  I'd be interested in the source of this statistic, as I am in the computer support business and most of my corporate clients have 8-15 computers -- and by "most" I mean approximately 75%.  

The beauty of the SME Server is that it really doesn't *need* support ... it Just Works.  (Assuming you don't deviate TOO far from the stock configuration. Are Kuadra's modifications unstable enough to need lots of support?? :-o)

What is a "community edition", exactly?  The only thing Mitel left out of THEIR "community edition" was the VPN capability, which is logical since they actually commit corporate resources to establishing and supporting the VPN connections made through ServiceLink (or whatever they call it).

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
Re: SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
Quote from: "fargo"
After Moses of kirux.net has released his community edition, I'm really confused over which way to go, SME or Kuadra!

SME 7 is modern, free, unlimited, secure, flexible and much more. Why should it even be compared to some modified SME 6 version?

kiruxadmin

Re: Six User Limitation
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 12:22:04 AM »

The beauty of the SME Server is that it really doesn't *need* support ... it Just Works.  (Assuming you don't deviate TOO far from the stock configuration. Are Kuadra's modifications unstable enough to need lots of support?? :-o)

If what you say is true, then all the forums must be empty, also why your sponsor Ruffdogs is offering a supported version of the SME? and announced as the SME Server powered by Ruffdogs, it is a different version?
Check the link:
http://www.ruffdogs.com/modules.php?siteid=43&name=static&file=smeserver

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 03:58:12 AM »
Okay, I'll bite ... if you have watched the forums over time, as I have, you will see that the bulk of the questions have to do with problems with customizations/contribs, requests for networking help, newbie questions on how to do simple Linux tasks, and hardware issues.  (I'm not even mentioning "will SME run on hardware X" and "when will version Y be released".)  But what you will *not* see are posts complaining that something in the stock install isn't working properly, because that really just doesn't happen.  Dud or unsupported hardware, sure, problems galore reported.  Complaints that SME doesn't do what they want, absolutely.  

(Personally, I won't be *happy* until SME balances my checkbook, does my grocery shopping, washes my dogs and takes out the trash, but as I recall the roadmap that's not until version 12.0 or thereabouts.)

But I don't see any significant numbers of people saying "I understand how it's supposed to work, my hardware is supported, I didn't mess around with it, and it STILL doesn't work."

And if people don't want to wade through the forums or can't be arsed to search ... into which latter category a lot of folks belong, clearly ... then paid support is the answer for them.  I'm happy that Ruffdogs is stepping up to provide that service, and hope that they make a few bucks doing so.

wallyrp

SME or Kuadra?!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 06:08:49 AM »
Good Evening,

I have land in Afghanistan near Pakistan for sale. Also, I have stocks and bonds available for businesses in Iraq.

I thought this was a SME forum/community not the local bulletin board for the local garage sales. This thread looks too much like an advertising thread for me.

As a member of this here SME community, I would like to propose,  :-P that such advertising would result in the advertising poster, who persists in advertising his/her product, to have their posting rights revoked.  :hammer: