Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

My ISP gives only Proxy to access Internet: HOW TO manage ?

achko

« on: November 20, 2005, 10:30:50 PM »
Hi,

As you can see in the subject, My isp gives only proxy to access Internet. I know it is possible to make it happen during Instalation to specify Proxy server with it's IP address an Port, and I'm doing that but nothing happens to the client side. No Interent over there ! From the lan side there are few (10) machines that I don't want to configure them to acces I-net via Proxy

so, how to route (make it happen) this ?

ISP proxy (111.222.333.444:8080) --> LAN (10.0.0.1/24 without proxing clients !)

I have tried SME versions 5.6, 6.0, 6.5 RC1 and still done nothing !

I have NOT tried only any manual work on firewall.
Also I was searching forums with no result.

So I'm Desperate and depressed :(

Regards,
Alex

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: My ISP gives only Proxy to access Internet: HOW TO manag
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 04:12:46 AM »
Quote from: "achko"

I know it is possible to make it happen during Instalation to specify Proxy server with it's IP address an Port, and I'm doing that but nothing happens to the client side.

Nothing should be required on the client side. Your clients should be forced to use a transparent proxy on the server, and the proxy on the server should send all requests via your ISP's proxy.

You'll need to look in the squid logs on the server to find out what is happening. Is squid seeing your client's requests?

The first thing to check is that your clients are correctly using the server as default gateway. The easiest way to be sure of that is to configure them via DHCP.

achko

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:49:11 AM »
Acctualy I'm configuring clients via DHCP and as far as I can see I'm doing nothing wrong, But this don't work ???

Your idea of looking at the squid logs is very good, I thing that squid acctualy accepts clients requests but didn't pass them to the ISP's proxy (I have included some sniffers and traffic analyzer in this issue) and look like nothing is happening.

If any ideas, please feel free to post them here

Thanks

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:09:31 AM »
Quote from: "achko"

I thing that squid acctualy accepts clients requests but didn't pass them to the ISP's proxy (I have included some sniffers and traffic analyzer in this issue) and look like nothing is happening.

So you think that squid accepts the queries but then does *nothing* with them? That sounds unlikely to me. What does squid log?