Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Mondo to upgrade disk fails

Offline chrislaurie

• +0/-0
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:49:33 PM »
Hi All

I used the excellent contrib on how to use Mondo to restore SME with all your additional contribs in tact. (http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/Mondo%20Restore%20and%20SME)

It worked fine, iso burned, booted, formatted and restored all. It looked A OK up to this point. The hda labels are correct.

The problem is that none of the services start. On the boot, as soon as I see the switching to run level 7 message, all the services comes up as disabled. The only one to start is MySql (and my installation of Firebird funnily enough). Every other one is [DISABLED}.

Any ideas as to what is happening here?

Cheers

Chris Laurie

Offline hanscees

• +0/-0
    • nl.linkedin.com/in/hanscees/
Re: Mondo to upgrade disk fails
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:19:08 PM »
Quote from: "chrislaurie"
Hi All

I used the excellent contrib on how to use Mondo to restore SME with all your additional contribs in tact. (http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/Mondo%20Restore%20and%20SME)

It worked fine, iso burned, booted, formatted and restored all. It looked A OK up to this point. The hda labels are correct.

The problem is that none of the services start. On the boot, as soon as I see the switching to run level 7 message, all the services comes up as disabled. The only one to start is MySql (and my installation of Firebird funnily enough). Every other one is [DISABLED}.

Any ideas as to what is happening here?

Cheers

Chris Laurie

It could be mondo does not take links with it.

please report the output of:
ls -all /etc/e-smith/events/yum-update

It should be something like:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   21 Sep 17 05:49 S20yum-action -> ../actions/yum-action
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   39 Sep 17 05:49 S50initialize-default-databases -> ../actions/initialize-default-databases
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   33 Sep 17 05:49 S80navigation-conf-hidden -> ../actions/navigation-conf-hidden
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   25 Sep 17 05:49 S90yum-update-dbs -> ../actions/yum-update-dbs

Hans-Cees
nl.linkedin.com/in/hanscees/

Offline chrislaurie

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 04:56:28 AM »
Thanx a lot for the response Hans-Cees.

When I run your command I get an error message: no such directory. I also get this on the live system. Is it something mondo adds?

I'm running on 6.01 with plus pack installed.

There are lots of files in events and its subfolders.

I'll try just doing a post-install and reboot and see what happens.

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Cheers

Chris

Offline chrislaurie

• +0/-0
Solved - mondo disk upgrade
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 03:30:09 PM »
The bit about the missing links sent me hunting. After reading the Key concepts document (http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/Key%20concepts) I had a look at the restored data and the problem comes from using the -E switch.

From the original HowTo this excluded the /home directory altogether. BUT according to the key concepts above that directory and some sub's contains critical elements for the system. So eliminating those from your mondo backup is not a good idea.

I redid the whole thing eliminating only the ibays and it all worked.

Well sort of. The restore from desktop would not restore my backup. So I went back, removed a whole bunch of non-critical stuff so it would fit on a CD-rom and voila. I'm so happy now!!

Kudo's to mondo, and the sme contributors.

Actually I ended up burning the whole thing on my new Benq DVD+R (as a CD-Rom) and it worked fine. I did get some error message but it still worked.

I will retry the backup part to the DVD again when my ibays have flowed full of backup data from my network and post the results here.

Cheers

Chris

aussie

Re: Solved - mondo disk upgrade
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:04:17 AM »
Quote from: "chrislaurie"

Actually I ended up burning the whole thing on my new Benq DVD+R (as a CD-Rom) and it worked fine. I did get some error message but it still worked.

Hi there Chris,
I too am a big fan of mondo.
Ive put in on a box with a DVD burner, but I cannot get it to burn to DVDs
only to CDs - did you ever do so, and what parameters did you use please?
(do DVDs need erasing first or anything?)
regards Aussie