Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

My server won't startup. I'm getting a "panic" err

Thissel

« on: February 07, 2005, 07:51:02 PM »
Hey.

After a shutdown, caused by a power failure, my SME-server refuses to start up. During the startup, right after the Mitel-logo, I get a message saying "Kernel Panic : No init found. Try Pasing init= option to kernel "

How can I fix this error?

I have tried searching with Google, but I'm very newbie into Linux and I don't really understand most of the stuff I have come across.  

I've downloaded the Knoppix-cd (www.knoppix.net), and I understand that this cd can be very helpful as a recovery-cd, but I don't know how to use it to fix the error.

I have some very important websites on the server's http-server and therefore I have to solve this problem as quick as possible.

If some of you know how to fix this problem, please post a reply and remember that I know almost nothing about Linux.

By the way, I am using SME 5.6 with some updated Rpms. Eg. new versions of php, phpmyadmin and other http-server updates.

Best regards.

pen25

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 12:08:15 AM »
sounds like the same trouble i had a couple months ago.. mine was my hard drive died..

Thissel

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 01:34:39 AM »
My harddrive isn't totally dead, cause the Mitel-logo shows up in the begining of the startup and this wouldn't be happening if the harddrive was dead.
But maybe there are some dead sectors on the harddrive that have to be isolated... I don't know.

Please write if you have a possible solution to the problem, it really frustrates me!

pen25

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 01:57:52 AM »
mine did the same thing. when i put it in a firewire casefor recovery using rip-10.7 it wouldnt see it.. if you can get it to recover back it up immediately..

Offline edb

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 03:54:45 AM »
I'm quite sure that this could be fixed by simply upgrading to version 6.0.1 but if you have a reason for not upgrading then this may not be an option.

Thissel

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 12:52:06 PM »
Will all of my Ibays, users and MySQL databases be save if I upgrade from 5.6 to 6.01?
I'm very worried that an upgrade would restore the system, but delete my content... Is there anywhere to find more info about how to upgrade?

Thanks for your replies.

Offline BoZz

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 01:23:17 PM »
If you want to be safe go to Knoppix.net and download the Knoppix live cd which let's you run a gui linux from cd. you can use this to copy you data to another drive. You can try to mount your drive in a windows box and copy data over to your windows drive with this util http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

brett

Thissel

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 04:45:56 PM »
When using Knoppix I get a message saying "Could not mount device. Mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified" everytime I am trying to click on the harddrive shortcuts on the Knoppix-desktop.

Does that mean that my harddrive is broken or do I have to do some other things to get access to it?

I have tried updating to the newest release of SME, but there is no upgrade-option in the setup menu, even though the manual tells me to choose UPGRADE (http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/bobk/SME_Manual/chpt-05.04.html)

Offline edb

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 03:53:09 AM »
Sounds like it's not finding your previous install of SME.

Doesn't sound good, I think your drive is cooked.

pen25

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 05:02:30 AM »
i had the same issue using rip-10.7.. after two days of trying it it started to chatter like a woman ;-)

Thissel

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 08:41:26 AM »
Is there a way to mount the harddrive manually in Knoppix and if yes, how do I tell Knoppix which filesystem the drive is using?

I HAVE to get a backup of some very important files on the harddrive, if I won't loose 100s of hours of work.

Thissel

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 03:49:17 AM »
Anyone?

mbachmann

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 11:37:42 AM »
The standard form of the command is :
mount -t type device dir
*To mount hard disk :
**mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /wina1 (one can see HD A in /wina1).
*To mount floppy :
**mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy ( one can see floppy in the folder /floppy).
*To mount CD-ROM :
**mount -t iso9660 -o nosuid /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

More help type man mount

Mount points & device names, vary upon Linux distro.

*CDROM: /cdrom, /mnt /cdrom, /home /cdrom
**dev hdd: /dev /hdc, /dev /sda ...

Thissel

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 11:50:04 PM »
Thank you for the replies.

I am now able to mount the harddrive in Knoppix after using e2fsck on the disk and I am now copying all important files to another harddrive.
In this connection, I have one last question: How do I get a backup of my MySQL databases?
Normally I use phpmyadmin and don't know much about the MySQL file structure.

techperl

SQL backups
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 02:53:06 AM »
You will most likely need to do raw data dumps.  To ensure data integrity, you need to stop SQL so that no on is writing to the databases.  Trying to back up a live database will most likely compromise the integrity of your backup.  On windows, I always use http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup.html]Stompsoft's PC Backup.  For Linux, just backup the data using whatever method you are most comfortable with.  I don't know the exact locations of your databases because that depends on how you configured your SQL installation.