Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Asterisk on SME7

cyr

Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 10:14:31 AM »
Hi,

Because there seems to be a lot of trouble to access amp perhaps you can guive me a hand. The only way to access the panel that I found was to make a redirection

look at /etc/e-smith/web/functions/amp

But I'm not a really good perl developer and if someone have an other idea that would be great.

Couple of things Post Upgrade is required to work and Zaptel drivers had to be compiled by hand.

I'll try to do something for this  :lol:

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 05:36:41 PM »
Thank you Cyr,
I think that just by adding the backslash at the end of the line already helps a lot. Now, I don't know for sure if it's a bug, but my server does not resolve to www.domain, which the scripts asks.
A couple of things I did is tested AAH 1.3 and 1.5 on the same machine, 1.3 has a hard time detecting the zaptel card (genzaptelcfg required) where 1.5 does it by itself.
So I downloaded the 1.5 installer and I'm trying to make it do the work like your installation. I have already failed the first one, and I'm reinstalling 7b2 (better fresh, to continue.
1.5 is compacted in few installer scripts, which may be easier to modify (not for me so far  :hammer:

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 05:45:10 PM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"

There are Zaptel drivers here, already compiled:
http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/zaptel/

Great site, thanks a lot Greg!

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »
Quote from: "stuntshell"

No problem.  Just a suggestion if you're going to try and modify A@H 1.5 - They install most everything from source because it is a single purpose server and they don't care about removing the files or upgrades, etc.  For SME, everything should be installed with rpms.  Whatever parts of the script you can remove by inserting 'rpm -Uvh xxx.rpm' instead of the steps to compile from source, do it.

cosy

VoIP Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 08:21:55 AM »
HI,

I just like to test Voip in my SME 7.X Box.
but can someone explain to me these questions?
totaly new to this voip. :hammer:

1. To test Voip, do i need to buy any hardware/ software?

2. Can i use normal ADSL 256/64 with TPG australia?

3. What about the telephone bill for local & international cal cost and all?

thanks

cosy

VoIP Newbie
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 08:22:31 AM »
HI,

I just like to test Voip in my SME 7.X Box.
but can someone explain to me these questions?
totaly new to this voip. :hammer:

thanks

cyr

Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 11:05:15 AM »
Hi Cosy,

No, you just need to install a soft phone as xlite on your client machine.

Only if you need 1 or 2 simultaneous communication or if you buy the g729 codec license.

I don't know, check your voip privider.

cosy

Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 05:51:20 AM »
HI,

Thanks. but still not clear for my Q3. To make voip calls, do i need to get authorized from my ISP?

if so why we need voip server? they normally provide voip package now.

What is the different betwen our SME voip server and the free voip providers?

Anyway tell me someone how i can reduce my home phone bill :-D

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 06:53:33 AM »
With Asterisk on SME you'll have your own voip server, and provider if you will(if you could have gateways everywhere and bandwidth, etc.). Then you can use it to make LAN calls, or even over the internet if you open the right ports or use VPN.

Anyway tell me someone how i can reduce my home phone bill

There are too many ways to list here, the options are numerous!

cosy

Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 01:37:28 AM »
HI, Thanks.

If you can explain 1 or 2 methods we can use to reduce our home phone bills thats going to be good help for everyone i think.

Anyway What do I need to have a VoIP Line?

I think i need to have some sort of a free VOIP Provider (ISP) to connect?

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 04:51:55 AM »
Cozy,
Methods on how to reduce phone bills:
1- Free calls over the internet
2- Lower rates when calling anywhere in the world.

Asterisk + SME is a great combination in a sense where you don't need to be running 02 systems. The advantages of this set up, be for home user or small business are numerous, and I recommend checking http://www.voip-info.org for all the needed info.

In my case I use at home and at the office. At home I have my own PBX (how fancy!) and calls comming in can be answered on the regular phones or using desktops, laptops (running Xlite) or IP Phones. They can be upstairs, downstairs or anywhere my wireless setup allows me. I have my own attendant that greets my guests and directs them to the right extension. They also can be put on hold, transferred, or go into virtual meetings, all thru an automated system that includes my favorite background music.

To make local calls, we use the regular PSTN system, long distance gets routed to a VoIP provider, 1-800 calls are routed to http://www.FreeWorldDialUp.com that gives me free calls anywhere in the world.
Incoming calls are taken as if I only had one number/line, when in fact I use Gismo http://www.gizmoproject.com , FWD, my e164 number, my local number and my Voip provider number.

Calling home or office when I'm at a client (or anywhere in the world actually) is free with the help of VPN, I could also use FWD or anything without the need of VPN, but I like quality and I can also make calls as if I were dialing from the office or home, when I'm not physically there, paying as if it was a local call.

There's also flexibility, control, reporting and other things that make asterisk great. The price to implement a perfect system (including PSTN cards, IP phones and your time of course) can be high initially, but it's a good investment in my view.

Enough of me already! ;-)

Offline torrestech

• +0/-0
    • http://www.torrestech.com.au
VOIP TPG australia
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 10:56:12 PM »
Hi.
I run VOIP on my own network. At this time i am not using ASSTRIX but just a hardware phone adapter. Plugs into my existing PABX and gives me 2 voip lines. Works well. Just needed to install QOS from Swertz Knudsen's website and find a good VOIP provider. I use siphone. www.siphone.com.au which gives me 1 cent per minute calls anywhere in australia.
Regards,
Adam

matsk

Asterisk on SME7
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 11:12:59 AM »
Quote from: "stuntshell"

No problem.  Just a suggestion if you're going to try and modify A@H 1.5 - They install most everything from source because it is a single purpose server and they don't care about removing the files or upgrades, etc.  For SME, everything should be installed with rpms.  Whatever parts of the script you can remove by inserting 'rpm -Uvh xxx.rpm' instead of the steps to compile from source, do it.

Isn't the prefered installation source:
1. YUM
2. RMP
3. Sourcecode

/Mats

kangkc

Asterisk@Home too heavy for SME!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2005, 04:20:23 AM »
I have been following this thread to see where it's heading. I have both Asterisk@Home 1.5 and SME 6.x implemented in my SOHO environment and it has been working fine. Ging forward instead of running from two servers, I would like to eventually combine this into a single server to save on hardware upgrade cost.  

I'm not with the idea of moving Asterisk@Home into SME as I feel it's way too heavy for SME. In fact I feel that it's like putting SME into Asterisk@Home.  

What I'll be trying to do it to install Asterisk on it's own in SME without AMP, copy the config files from AMP generated over to SME. Going forward I'll be looking into using IPManager or other Asterisk configuration software to configure the server.
Of course what I'll be missing is the nice reporting that AMP provides which at the moment the least priority. Prety sure this can be managed and collected out from Asterisk with other tools.

At the end of the day, SME Server is to provide a secure, stable platform for production environment and I don't think I want to change this.

matsk

Re: Asterisk@Home too heavy for SME!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005, 06:46:34 PM »
kangkc Could you clarify ! First you say :
Quote from: "kangkc"
I would like to eventually combine this into a single server to save on hardware upgrade cost.

And then :
I'm not with the idea of moving Asterisk@Home into SME as I feel it's way too heavy for SME. In fact I feel that it's like putting SME into Asterisk@Home.

Do you wan't to add asterisk into your SME server or not ?

And lets keep our reasoning based upon facts not "feelings".

When choosing strategy, one server with all services or several servers with different services should be based upon facts like, hardware, application work load, personell experience and so on.

To mix A@H in SME isn't that big contradictiction, they are based upon the same strategy, a web interface that controlls the underlying work horses/services.

And I don't understand your reasoning about putting SME into A@H or vice versa. Adding * onto a SME server can be disastrous if you dont have hardware that can keep up with the workload because * needs resources when it requests it but this is if you have calls that is teminated into * or that * is a media gateway.

And to get hard facts I always include MRTG or rrdtools on my systems so I can see the trends on the workload and from that I can take descissions about upgrades, investments or strategy changes.

And to add AMP & FOP as panels into SME is a neat way to include a application fast and to avoiding the need to convert the PHP/Flash to Perl CGI (SME interface).

I'm running SME and A@H on the same machine for my SOHO (4 users) without any problems on a 1,7GHz, 256M RAM machine.

At the end of the day, SME Server is to provide a secure, stable platform for production environment and I don't think I want to change this.

Trus me Asterisk is as important as the SME server and is as stable and secure!

I'm also looking into XEN that will realy give you the tool to controll your resources and you can maximize the utilization on your resources.

/Mats