Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

USB Printer Support (HP Printers)

etsimmerm

USB Printer Support (HP Printers)
« on: September 01, 2005, 11:16:57 PM »
I'm a new SME user and just setup a new 6.0.1-01 installation. Good stuff.

I used the nice CUPs howto to put a shared HP printer on my SME-driven lan and it worked...sorta. Currently there is a contrib for hpijs drivers and that's great, but USB Printer support is limited. The latest and greatest HP drivers are available as part of the HPLIP opensource project. I'd really like to see a contrib for SME support of HPLIP.

There are no official HPLIP rpms available, so I grabbed the HPLIP source with the hopes of installing the drivers on my SME box. Didn't get very far since there's no build environment on my SME server...for obvious reasons.

If anyone out there has HPLIP running on SME, knows how to make it happen, or just cares to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Cheers,
-Eric

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
HP PSC1300
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:53:32 AM »
I know this is an old post, but thought I should post what I did to get my PSC1300 working.

Firstly, am running SME 6.0. Install CUPS if you're not using it already. Prove it's up & running and synchronise the printers from the server manager priner panel.

I then installed HPLIP and installed. Can't remember where I got the RPM's for, but think it was a Red Hat one from Linuxprinting.org. I think I may have had to update cups along the way too, since I was running quite an old one from SME 5.6 days.

Hooked up my PSC to the USB port on the server. Set up a new printer in CUPS and  tested with the test page. All was well.

Then download the generic windows Adobe postscript driver.  Use this to install your workstation printers, and point then to the server queue.

As I say, can't remember the exact steps, but I now have my windows NT workstation printing to my PSC as there was no NT driver, NT doesn't support USB (hence could use another driver), and HP don't support printer sharing of these devices.

No such thing as can't, it just takes time........