Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

BPALogin IPTables Problems

zzygan

« on: May 05, 2005, 06:30:13 AM »
I've got my cable connection working with BPA Login using the instructions on synapticserver.com. The connection works fine, but in /var/log/messages i'm getting the folloing

May  5 13:47:33 gamma bpalogin[12198]: Timed out waiting for heartbeat - logging on
May  5 13:47:33 gamma bpalogin[12198]: Logged on as xxxxxx - successful at Thu May  5 13:47:33 2005

it keeps doing this every 5 -7 minutes, which then it just reconnects

I've tried using the folloing iptables command, but it still keeps disconnecting.
iptables -I INPUT 9 -s 61.9.208.13 -i eth1 -p udp --dport 5050 -j ACCEPT

I noticed also that when BPALogin starts up it says "Listening on 1065", but the port number in bpalogin.conf is 5050. Becasue of this i've tried changing the port number in the iptables command to be 1064, but it still does the same.

I'm confused, can anyone help?

KelvinLee

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 01:39:47 AM »
If you searched the forums for bpalogin, you will find many posts with issues such as the one you face. I was using bpalogin for some time until the limitations from it (mostly to do with recovery after an outage) made me decide to dump it in favour of a hardware router. Netgear routers with bpa clients appear to be amongst the most stable around and I've used Linksys, D-Link and even a few lesser known ones with varying levels of success. My Netgear router's been going without needing a reboot for more than half a year now (last reboot was due to shutting off power to the house during some electrical works).

Kelvin

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 04:03:23 AM »
Quote from: "KelvinLee"
If you searched the forums for bpalogin, you will find many posts with issues such as the one you face. I was using bpalogin for some time until the limitations from it (mostly to do with recovery after an outage) made me decide to dump it in favour of a hardware router. Netgear routers with bpa clients appear to be amongst the most stable around and I've used Linksys, D-Link and even a few lesser known ones with varying levels of success.

If you search here, you'll also find many problems associalted with using (so-called "hardware") routers.

At least some of the routers run linux, and use essentially the same bpalogin (GPL) client. Hence I'm sure it's possible to build a current, bug-fixed bpalogin client and run it directly on the SME server. Obviously someone in Australia would need to develop that support.

If it's an iptables causing the problem, then there'll be log file messages showing the source and destination port numbers.

KelvinLee

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 05:29:06 AM »
At least some of the routers run linux, and use essentially the same bpalogin (GPL) client

And that's probably why they were exhibiting similar problems as the bpalogin contrib ... :-D

Kelvin

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 08:36:05 PM »
Quote from: "KelvinLee"
At least some of the routers run linux, and use essentially the same bpalogin (GPL) client

And that's probably why they were exhibiting similar problems as the bpalogin contrib ... :-D

So what's needed is a packet capture and some logs so that someone can fix the bpalogin client - if they have not done so already.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: BPALogin IPTables Problems
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 09:06:02 PM »
Quote from: "zzygan"
I've got my cable connection working with BPA Login using the instructions on synapticserver.com. The connection works fine, but in /var/log/messages i'm getting the folloing

May  5 13:47:33 gamma bpalogin[12198]: Timed out waiting for heartbeat - logging on
May  5 13:47:33 gamma bpalogin[12198]: Logged on as xxxxxx - successful at Thu May  5 13:47:33 2005

it keeps doing this every 5 -7 minutes, which then it just reconnects

I've tried using the folloing iptables command, but it still keeps disconnecting.
iptables -I INPUT 9 -s 61.9.208.13 -i eth1 -p udp --dport 5050 -j ACCEPT

I noticed also that when BPALogin starts up it says "Listening on 1065", but the port number in bpalogin.conf is 5050. Becasue of this i've tried changing the port number in the iptables command to be 1064, but it still does the same.

I'm confused, can anyone help?

If you're not seeing any iptables logged packets (and you haven't shown any), then firewalling is not the problem - and you can't fix it by running iptables commands.