Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[Announce] iTunes Server for SME with rpms

gerald001

« on: May 01, 2005, 02:39:07 PM »
to the community,
having read the request of serving mp3 files in the Forum I want to share the rpms you might want to use for having the SME as a music server in your local network serving not only mp3 files but as well m4a files and others for the iTunes application as additional iTunes Server.
  In the downloads section in the category iTunes of http://schwarzecker.homelinux.net/index.php you might find the correlated files together with some additional rpms for en/decoding. Please report any improovements as I suppose there are still some pitfalls for the setup.
In the FAQ section there is a small howto as pdf for further reading.
http://schwarzecker.homelinux.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=25

have a nice day end enjoy  
Gerald

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:41:17 PM »
Gerald,
Can you please post your how-to here at contribs? Your server just couldn't handle the requests and it's refusing connections now.

Regards,

gerald001

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 10:12:11 PM »
Quote from: "stuntshell"
Gerald,
Can you please post your how-to here at contribs? Your server just couldn't handle the requests and it's refusing connections now.

Regards,

Linux iTunes Server with SME, the very basic howto

Having a huge library of music you might want to share with your relatives or collegues you may deploy the iTunes Server for Linux on SME. It works on SME Server 6.x and above. Versions of SME 5.x have not been tested. So basically you need the daapd and the mDNSProxyResponderPosix binary to serve within your network the songs.

Let me state that this is not intended to do illegal music sharing across the internet; this setup is only intended to allow you to share your music with your family on the local network.

You will need to download a few files to your Linux server first. You might get the rpms from http://schwarzecker.homelinux.net/index.php in the section downloads category iTunes or compile the applications for yourself. Together with the basics like mt-daapd there are additional libraries to enable serving AAC encoded m4a files as well and some others. Files in .m4a format are actually the audio layer of (non-video) MPEG 4 movies. M4A is slated to become the new standard for audio file compression. This format is also known as Apple Lossless, Apple Lossless Encoder, or ALE. It is a new codec designed to provide lossless encoding in less storage space.

download the files together with some encoders and helper programs

faac-18.10.2004-1.noarch.rpm
flac-1.1.2-1.noarch.rpm
howl-0.9.10-1.noarch.rpm
lame-3.96.1-1.noarch.rpm
libid3tag-0.15.1b-1.noarch.rpm
libmad-0.15.1b-1.noarch.rpm
libogg-1.1-1.noarch.rpm
libvorbis-1.0.1-1.noarch.rpm
mDNSResponder-66.3-1.noarch.rpm
mpeg4ip-1.2-1.noarch.rpm
mt-daapd-0.2.1.1-1.noarch.rpm
speex-1.1.7-1.noarch.rpm

Once everything is installed with  rpm -ivh *.rpm create a music folder like /mnt/mp3/ ( mkdir -p /mnt/mp3)  and copy some music there. Next you will need to run the multicast DNS advertiser from Apple with the following line as root user:
at the prompt use :
 mDNSProxyResponderPosix my_Personal_IP_adress myPersonal_SMEServer_Name "Music Jukebox" _daap._tcp. 3689 &
where

my_Personal_IP_adress       is the IPaddress of your SME Server i.e: 192.168.0.1
myPersonal_SMEServer_Name    is the name of your SME Server ie: smeserver
"Music Jukebox"              is the name of your Music Jukebox you want to advertise to iTunes.

Once that is running, you can edit the /etc/daapd.conf file to match your needs with directory, server name, and share name. Start the daapd daemon by typing this as root:
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/mt-daapd start

Once that is complete, you can open iTunes and it should pop up as a shared music library.

Please report bugs to me as I just checked the function with iTunes on Mac as I do not have Winxx Clients.

regards Gerald

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 11:40:51 PM »
Thanks Gerald,
When I try downloading the files, it tries to resolve to your private IP 192.168.2.22.

:(

gerald001

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 11:57:31 PM »
Thanks Gerald,
When I try downloading the files, it tries to resolve to your private IP 192.168.2.22.

:(

High Stunt,
I am deeply sorrow, I did some misconfiguration after having changed the server and it should work right now.
regards
Gerald

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 01:08:49 AM »
Thanks Gerald, Got them all and I'm about to try!! I also got your email.
I'm about to install it in few minutes.
I noticed you have mambo running and also have a .rpm for it. If I install it, can I only have it as the main site or can I make it on a different ibay?

Regards,

daze

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 08:31:52 AM »
Hi Gerald,
Will these contribs allow me to update i-Pods with the music from the SME Server? or is it streaming over the LAN only?

TIA

gerald001

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 08:25:09 PM »
Thanks Gerald, Got them all and I'm about to try!! I also got your email.
I'm about to install it in few minutes.
I noticed you have mambo running and also have a .rpm for it. If I install it, can I only have it as the main site or can I make it on a different ibay?

Regards,

High Stunt,
I just made this mambo rpm in a quick way to have a solution for a CMS. Of course you may have it on a different ibay, but then do not use that rpm I prepared, but the tarball instead with the latest patches from Mamboforge

regards
Gerald

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 03:15:59 AM »
Thank you Gerald!
iTunes works awesome for both Macs and Windows, and thank you for replying about Mambo!

Regards,

Franco

gerald001

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 10:15:39 PM »
Quote from: "daze"
Hi Gerald,
Will these contribs allow me to update i-Pods with the music from the SME Server? or is it streaming over the LAN only?

TIA

Hi Daze,
this is streaming over the LAN only.
There might be some application you search for at www.dotpod.net or other locations. mt-daapd is for streaming the music over LAN only as far as I understood.You may place your mp3 songs for your relatives/friends with either SMB or atalk or NFS depending on the clients OS to the SME Server to share the music over lan and reduce local storage place and the computers may use itunes as a client. that's it.
receive my kindest regards
Gerald

daze

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 05:42:42 AM »
Thanks Gerald.

Offline sqlerror

• +0/-0
Output of mDNSProxyResponderPosix shows errors
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 09:12:38 PM »
Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the howto, I am able to browse the music files stored on my SME server. Amazing how fast the thousands of mp3 files get listed allmost instantly in I-tunes.
Still the output of the commnand
Code: [Select]
DNSProxyResponderPosix my_Personal_IP_adress myPersonal_SMEServer_Name "Music Jukebox" _daap._tcp. 3689 & somehow troubles me. I get this:
[root@meterkast etc]# mDNSProxyResponderPosix 192.168.8.1 meterkast "Music Jukebox" _daap._tcp. 3689 &

mDNSResponder: ERROR: startQuery - -65545 (keeping question in list for retransmission
mDNSResponder: hndlLookupSOA: startInternalQuery returned error -65545 (breaking
 until next periodic retransmission)
Made Service Records for Music\032Jukebox._daap._tcp.local.
Service Music\032Jukebox._daap._tcp.local. now registered and active
Despite the errors returned, i can browse the shared music files and play them without any problem. Can you explain the cause and possible solution to there error messages?

Besides these errrors, there's a typo in the howto:
The daapd.conf file does not exist. I wanted to change the default directory /mnt/mp3 to the directory of my netjuke mp3 store. Getting my files shared, took some searching. Since the default music directory is /mnt/mp3 a file search on "/mnt/mp3" gave me /etc/mt-daapd.conf instead of /etc/daapd.conf.

How can I start mt-daapd automatically on startup?

Cheers,
Sqlerror

gerald001

Re: Output of mDNSProxyResponderPosix shows errors
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 06:40:23 PM »
Quote from: "sqlerror"
Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the howto, I am able to browse the music files stored on my SME server. Amazing how fast the thousands of mp3 files get listed allmost instantly in I-tunes.
Still the output of the commnand
DNSProxyResponderPosix my_Personal_IP_adress myPersonal_SMEServer_Name "Music Jukebox" _daap._tcp. 3689 & somehow troubles me. I get this:
[root@meterkast etc]# mDNSProxyResponderPosix 192.168.8.1 meterkast "Music Jukebox" _daap._tcp. 3689 &

mDNSResponder: ERROR: startQuery - -65545 (keeping question in list for retransmission
mDNSResponder: hndlLookupSOA: startInternalQuery returned error -65545 (breaking
 until next periodic retransmission)
Made Service Records for Music\032Jukebox._daap._tcp.local.
Service Music\032Jukebox._daap._tcp.local. now registered and active
Despite the errors returned, i can browse the shared music files and play them without any problem. Can you explain the cause and possible solution to there error messages?

High Sqlerror,
actually I am far beyond knowledge about this though I searched the net about this specific message, might be I am searching wrong :-( So it somehow looks like it has to do something with the DNS resolving, so if anybody could give a hint and clear this up this would be welcomed. The same type of message shows up on my SME Server as well.

Besides these errrors, there's a typo in the howto:
The daapd.conf file does not exist. I wanted to change the default directory /mnt/mp3 to the directory of my netjuke mp3 store. Getting my files shared, took some searching. Since the default music directory is /mnt/mp3 a file search on "/mnt/mp3" gave me /etc/mt-daapd.conf instead of /etc/daapd.conf.

How can I start mt-daapd automatically on startup?

Thanks for your comment and excuse misusing your time for searching for the file. I corrected the typo and your question is I suppose already answered by Nathan and Charlie, Have a look at :
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=5333.msg18826#msg18826

Cheers,
Sqlerror

regards Gerald

Offline jreijsenbach

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bh24.net
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »
Hello,

Just installed itunes server and it works! However the server is mentioned twice. (named gateway) Anyone any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Jan

Offline jreijsenbach

• +0/-0
    • http://www.bh24.net
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 01:52:43 PM »
Fixed itself.... weird. Well it fixed itself now. Maybe I was a bit quick to think something was wrong.

It now seems to work as it should.

Regards,

Jan