Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

users wish to add printers

dwater

« on: February 17, 2005, 05:49:27 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to fix my ongoing printer problems.

It seems that regular users (MS Windows XP Pro) wish to be able to add printers. I could have sworn they used to be able to (just by doing 'start/run ... \\sme\printer'), so I guess something has changed.

I have searched for a solution.

One of the search results suggested that installing drivers in the [print$] share would help. I have now done this but it doesn't seem to help. I still get "a policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue" when I try to add a printer as a domain user (works ok as an admin user).

Some of the search results also mentioned something about the security policy, but I am not sure about using MS Windows. I have had a look at the security policies, and there is an entry that looks relevant, but it says 'disabled' (in that it does not restrict anything).

In any case, any user can add a printer from another server, so I think that it must be a samba configuration problem.

Can someone help me?

Offline mrothe

• +0/-0
Re: Printers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
Hi
Do the Windows PCs have the same user name and password as the ones set up on your server?

I know that this is required for windows file sharing so it probably required for printers as well.

dwater

Re: Printers
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 12:51:10 PM »
Quote from: "mrothe"
Hi
Do the Windows PCs have the same user name and password as the ones set up on your server?

I know that this is required for windows file sharing so it probably required for printers as well.

The users in question are members of the same domain the SME server is controlling.

i.e. yes.

Any other ideas?

Offline arnoldob

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 08:11:53 PM »
Copy 11printerAdmin from the /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/smb.conf
to
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/smb.conf

the add the users that you want to the printer admin list seperated by spaces:

printer admin = admin user1 user2

I think you can add group names there as well by adding a @ at the front, i.e., for the group lpradmin use @lpradmin

Then expand the template and restrat samba:

/sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/smb.conf
service smb restart

I hope that helps, if not just delete the /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/smb.conf/11printerAdmin and expand the template and restart samba again to get back to the orginal configuration.

Arnoldo Bertoncini
Tampa, FL USA

Offline jackl

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »
Have you tried adding a domain user to the admin group of the workstation. This will not give the user any additional rights to the server but will give them full control of the workstation. Now logon with that user if the printer install fails it is likely a SME/Samba problem, if it succeeds it is likely you have a policy in effect on the workstaion which prevents domain users from installing printers.
Giving domain users workstation admin rights is suggested here as a method to prove the cause of the problem not as a solution.

Regards
Jack