Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

The Hardware with SME 6.01

Offline paulfung

• +0/-0
    • http://www.datayard.com
« on: April 24, 2005, 08:18:04 PM »
Since SME server is going a different direction from Redhat, I can't found a trusted and updated hardware compatible list with our SME server.  I can’t risk to work with those update hardware, and can only keep working with some i865 chips, staying away form any new thing that I want ot try.  I don’t think it is a good idea. :-?

As more and more those i915 Mainboard and A64 hardware with new Network chips coming up, is that the only way that we keep most of us out there going a trial and error way ??  Why not we just share our info and experiance ?

I suggested to setup a list here for all the Hardware (espicial on chips sets, LAN cards….etc.). It will help many people to save a lot of time to try incompatible hardware, which the SME servers do not support.

Is there any one do agree with me ??

May be we can start posting our hardware list here to share with others, it do also serve a good showcase too. :-)

Best Regards,

Paul
Best Regards,

Paul T.C.Fung
  :lol:  :hammer:

the_mad_prof

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 10:08:44 PM »
Hi Paul, sound like a good idea.  I used to go by the Redhat 6.2 hardware compatability on redhats site but if someone has worked around any onboard controller issues for some of the later hardware, then that can only be helpful for the rest.

Personally I run older hardware so unlikely to be able to add, however I am fighting the good fight with a couple of gigbit cards that are proving troublesome.

Offline fpausp

• +0/-0
Asus a7n8x delux
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 10:23:45 PM »
I use a Asus a7n8x delux, OnBoard SATA Raid-Contoller (Silicon Image SiI 3112) is working and also the onboard gbit nic.

fpausp
Viribus unitis

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: The Hardware with SME 6.01
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 10:57:07 PM »
Quote from: "paulfung"
Since SME server is going a different direction from Redhat ...

SME server is not, and has never, gone in a different direction from RedHat WRT hardware support. SME has always used unmodified kernels from RedHat, and there is currently no intention to change that.

SME server also uses RedHat's hardware detection and driver compatibility database.

Offline paulfung

• +0/-0
    • http://www.datayard.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 07:27:52 AM »
I get your point, Charlie, but can not total agreed all the point stated.

yes I do agreed with the hardware list of redhat in a logical way, but is it damed to have our own list and success stories ?

As said, there are too many hardware comming out, and even the redhat list miss most of those updated one, I guess it is not a "sin" to share our information on those model numbers and chips set models, it won't hurt, but is a share of our info, so we wast no time to try incompatible hardware.

we need a list of success story to make us work easier.

Also, we may share the experiance to deal with different hardware.

Anyway, it is a good intention and a positive way to do things right?

Best Regards,

Paul T.C.Fung
Best Regards,

Paul T.C.Fung
  :lol:  :hammer: