Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[Annouce} SMEOS.ORG

calvin

[Annouce} SMEOS.ORG
« on: March 10, 2005, 01:08:44 PM »
I am using Drupal blog for a long time ago, and think that is great solution for portal/weblog, today a found this follow address http://smeos.org, a new web portal for SME Server..

Calvin

Skydiver

link
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 08:16:28 PM »
that link times out for me when i try it...

dessex

This Works
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 08:29:50 PM »

Skydiver

poping up everywhere
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:14 PM »
I also have new forums for sme at www.smeforums.com

Seems SME is branching out and a few extra sites should give users choices. Good move or bad im not sure. One central SME site made things so easy but i've decided to keep my work safe for everyone to use.

I am working on using the gforge project management system once i work out the setup stuff. But at this time i just have a simple forum module running.

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
[Annouce} SMEOS.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 01:07:51 AM »
Just before going to the SMEOS.org website read this discussion on the mailing list please:

http://lists.contribs.org/mailman/public/discussion/msg00413.html

Thanks in advanced,
--
Nuno Gomes
Nuno Rafael Gomes
Learning everyday from everyday problems...

Offline wyron

• +0/-0
    • http://www.ideast.dk
[Annouce} SMEOS.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 09:56:45 AM »
I've been to smeos, and I've read the discussion you refer to (been there, done that, to coin a phrase).
Frankly, Nuno, I tend to agree with Laurent, Greg and Charlie.
There's really no point, is there ?
I mean, I appreciate your pride in your technical achievement of setting up a portal, but there has to be a better purpose for it, really.
The same space was better utilized as a local mirror or repository for contribs.
After all, we are free to do all our bickering right here, aren't we ?
Greetings
wyron

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: poping up everywhere
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 06:28:04 AM »
Quote from: "Skydiver"

One central SME site made things so easy ...

But you think there's something wrong with easy?

but i've decided to keep my work safe for everyone to use.

Why do you think your work is not safe at contribs.org?

Skydiver

CharlieBrown
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 09:40:22 AM »
Well its like this..

You and others like Joe are in a none contribs.org list (ruffdogs) saying you want to give the contribs.org members only two lic Choices and if they dont pick from the two licences then the content etc... will go to an auto lic held by the site. Dont you think the members here should know about this and that they should have a say in it.

There are many licence choices and i feel the members here should be able to view and select there own options not be handed two and told pick one.

Not to mention the discussions on ruffdogs list about contribs should be held on the contribs list for all that have registered for it since its release. Maybe not evenone wants to register with ruffdogs since we are after all contribs members not ruffdoggs.

On the ruffdog's list. I asked if the discussions should be placed on contribs for everyone to view & become apart of, i was told its best they decide over at ruffdogs and then give the members here a view of the final plan.

Didnt this all start because the members here wanted to be apart of it all not just some plan you all decided was best for us. Give the site members a go not just a couple of people that think they know whats best for everyone.

Charlie You all dont know everything and you have no idea whats best for me or anyone else for that matter.
Try looking after yourself and let others have a chance to look after there own affairs. With many heads i am sure it will work out best for everyone given the chance.

I Dare you all over at ruffdoggs to open the can of worms and let everyone have a say on contribs and keep the discussions at contribs. Its best we see all the details not just what you guys want to hand out at the end.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: CharlieBrown
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 11:44:52 PM »

You and others like Joe are in a none contribs.org list (ruffdogs) saying you want to give the contribs.org members only two lic Choices and if they dont pick from the two licences then the content etc... will go to an auto lic held by the site.

Me? I didn't make any such suggestion.

I did say that if people don't agree to a contribs.org publication license they can choose to publish their comments and other contributions elsewhere.

Charlie You all dont know everything and you have no idea whats best for me or anyone else for that matter.

I don't claim to know everything, and don't make any claim to know what's best for you.

Try looking after yourself and let others have a chance to look after there own affairs.

I am trying to look after myself in limiting the fragmentation of the sme user community. I try to keep up to date with what people like and don't like about the software I write, and to know of any problems people are having with it. I have no interest in monitoring multiple websites to try to keep up to date.

Please make a little more effort to remain civil. Your "CharlieBrown" post subject is disrespectful.

Skydiver

posting elsewhere
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 11:58:14 PM »
There you have it, the atitude of the people behind the move to ruffdoggs taking over.. It was stated not just here but in the ruffdoggs list. If they dont like the choices then simple they can post somewhere else.

But with the next breath they are complaining about Fragmentation.

Well i am glad i am apart of giving people a choice to post elsewhere.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: posting elsewhere
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 12:16:13 AM »
There you have it, the atitude of the people behind the move to ruffdoggs taking over..

I have nothing to do with ruffdogs taking custody of contribs.org.

Attitude, eh? You seem to have some yourself.

It was stated not just here but in the ruffdoggs list. If they dont like the choices then simple they can post somewhere else.

That's a simple statement of fact. The background is that contribs.org is attempting to create a contributions policy which ensures that contributations remain available and visible to the community - that no-one can just shutdown contribs.org and keep the information to themselves. If people don't provide their contributions accompanied by a license which provides those guarantees, then contribs.org can't accept those contributions.

If people want to keep strings attached to their information, then they can publish their information elsewhere. I'm not advocating that they do so, just stating the fact. The best thing for the community is for all contribs to be collected in one place, with a license which guarantees the continued availability of the contrib.

Well i am glad i am apart of giving people a choice to post elsewhere.

I see that none has yet chosen to do so.

BTW, people already have plenty of choice of other places to post their thoughts and writings.