Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

RBL Checking with 6.0

Offline zoran

• +0/-0
RBL Checking with 6.0
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »
does anyone know how to enable RBL checking using SME 6.0 with the e-smith-mailfront-1.2.0-01 rom installed, or know if I can upgrade to a newer version?

My SME server was 6.0 beta 3, but I have applied all the updates I could find, and my /server-manager reports that it's 6.0 now, so I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Anyway, I really can't upgrade this system since it's actually my prod mail and web server, and second, I have tested the backup and restore functionality on a test box, but it was unsuccessful, so I'm a bit weary to try it for real on my prod box.

All I'm looking for is a means to have qmail use tthe RBL at spamhaus.org.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

zoran

Offline zoran

• +0/-0
RBL Checking with 6.0
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 03:20:55 PM »
I did find a HOWTO that referenc 1.3, and explicitly said 6.0 B3 wasn't supported, so I don't know how to proceed.

Can I upgrade this single RPM?

zoran

Offline raem

• +4/-0
Re: RBL Checking with 6.0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 02:38:37 PM »
zoran

> Anyway, I really can't upgrade this system since
> it's actually my prod mail and web server

Why can't you upgrade, the upgrade from 6.0beta3 to 6.0 final was supported so it should work OK.
You have security issues while still running 6.0b3.
If you are running a prod box then it should be kept up to date.

> I have tested the backup and restore functionality
> on a test box, but it was unsuccessful

So why don't you try to resolve that problem so you have a good backup & restore procedure and then you can safely go ahead with upgrading the version on your prod box.

I don't know what backup hardware you have available eg tape or hard drive etc so here is a simple method to do it using the standard backup to desktop function which should not give you any problem.

Move the ibays and users folders to /tmp, then do a backup to desktop (you need to ensure the resultant file is less than 2Gb & you should Verify it when completed).
Move your /ibays & /users folders back to original locations and then create tar or rar backups files of the /ibays and /users to a workstation.
Use the backup file to restore to a newly installed OS and then manually restore the ibays and users seperately plus reinstall any contribs.

Alternatively use the backup2ws contrib to do a 911 backup job to a workstation share, making sure you split the backup into 2Gb or less sized chunks. Restore that file to a freshly installed sme. You will have to reinstall any contribs as well.

> All I'm looking for is a means to have qmail use
> the RBL at spamhaus.org.

Just upgrade to version 6.0 from the CD and then follow the HOWTO.

Offline zoran

• +0/-0
RBL Checking with 6.0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 04:03:14 AM »
I'm sorry, was there an all inclusive patch from 6.0 b3 to 6.0?  I have a collection of RPMs that once I installed, them, my /server-manager reports 6.0 in the text on the bottom.

Offline raem

• +4/-0
RBL Checking with 6.0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 04:07:42 AM »
zoran

>.... was there an all inclusive patch from 6.0 b3 to 6.0?  

Yes it's called the sme v6.0 final release iso which is downloadable ! You then do an upgrade install from the CD.

> I have a collection of RPMs that once I installed, > them, my /server-manager reports 6.0 in the text on the bottom.

Obviously these did not install the required support (ie rpms) for RBL that you are after.