Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

ftp server configuration

Offline nald

• +0/-0
    • http://www.phisl.net
ftp server configuration
« on: February 07, 2005, 05:39:26 AM »
Hi,

I tried to install FTP server using SME6.0.1.  I created an ibay called 'files'.  My configuration look like this:

Information bay name: files    
Description: my files  
Group: ingram (ingram)
User access via file sharing or user ftp: Write = group, Read = everyone
Public access via web or anonymous ftp: Entire Internet (password required outside local network)
Execution of dynamic content (CGI, PHP, SSI): disabled

How can i upload a file inside ibays using users under the group ingram?  
I tried to use the admin account, i can download and upload files in ibays but if i use other account, it can only view the home and Maildir folders.

I want to download and upload files using accounts under the group ingram.  Is there anything that i need to configure.

Thanks...

Nald

mbachmann

ftp server configuration
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »
Seems alright to me. The users in group 'ingram' are really in the group? Click users->modify and view the group memberships of the users - there should be a checkbox. On the console cd in the ftp-ibay and check, if the group is 'ingram'.

WEBlance

ftp server configuration
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 04:50:44 PM »
I have exactly the same problem! When the user ftp's on the server he only gets the home and mail dir, not the html and files dir!

pen25

ftp server configuration
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 12:10:08 AM »
you have to tell the user to navigate to ibays then to files. sucks i know but unless someone knows of an eaiser way,

Offline nald

• +0/-0
ftp server configuration
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 01:58:43 AM »
mbachmann,

yes, the users is really under the group ingram.  I tried to run through console and try to see its ownership.  The ibay 'files' is really under the group ingram.

drwxrwsr-x    2 root     ingram       4096 Nov 20  2003 cgi-bin
drwxrwsr-x   12 root     ingram       4096 Jan 27 17:56 files
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     ingram       4096 Dec  9 17:54 html

It is still the same, when i run ftp://nald:xxxx@203.xx.xx.xx  i can only see the folder home and Maildir.
When i run ftp://admin:xxxx@203.xx.xx.xx  i can view all ibays.

Nald

Offline funkusmunkus

• +0/-0
ftp server configuration
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 02:10:20 AM »
in the server-manager under security select remote access, and make sure you have allowed ftp access to your server from the net and if you want to allow passwords sent over the net.

hope that helps
cheers

pen25

ftp server configuration
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 02:41:30 AM »
why it does this i have no idea as i am not an linux guru... but if you log into the server via the user to access the ftp folder you have to click the server name..then it wil drop down seveeral other folders then you have to navigate down to ibas then to the bay..

Offline nald

• +0/-0
ftp server configuration
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 06:11:13 AM »
Quote from: "pen25"
why it does this i have no idea as i am not an linux guru... but if you log into the server via the user to access the ftp folder you have to click the server name..then it wil drop down seveeral other folders then you have to navigate down to ibas then to the bay..

I am sorry pen25.  I don't understand wat you mean.  Will you please give me an exact procedure on  how to do it.  On my part this is how i access my ftp server.  
In my computer, i run Internet Explorer and type on the address ftp://nald:xxx@203.xx.xx.xx or ftp://203.xx.xx.xx and then login as nald and password.
The only folders i see is home and Maildir.  I want to view the ibay 'files' using nald account.  If i use admin account then i can view all ibays but if i use user accounts then i can't view the ibays.  

I am trying to figure on how to access ibays using users accounts so that i can download and upload files.  Well i can download the files using the ibay name and its password like ftp://files:xxxx@203.xx.xx.xx  but it only use to download files.  I can't upload files to that particular ibay.

My only problem is, i can't view ibays using users accounts but using admin account, i can view all ibays.  

Other department in my company need to access via ftp but i can't let them give the admin account.  This is for security reasons.

Is there anyone out there have an idea of this particular situation?  
Hope someone will guide me to this problem.  

Thanks...

pen25

ftp server configuration
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 08:36:32 AM »
that is only one folder.. you should have aparent folder or link. click that and it will take you up one level.. get smartftp and use it instead of IE. you wont ever think of using IE any longer

Offline nald

• +0/-0
ftp server configuration
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 10:18:22 AM »
pen25,

I got your point already.  i tried to run Mozilla Firefox and i was able to view already the ibays.  Thanks so much...  
The only problem that i am having right now is how to upload a certain files to an ibay.  Well anyway, i am now trying to study it in Mozilla Firefox.
Thanks in a million to you.

Nald

psykoben

ftp server configuration
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 07:04:55 PM »
Maybe you can find this helpfull

http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/How%20to%20install%20chroot%20for%20FTP

it work very well for me

pen25

ftp server configuration
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 04:17:48 AM »
that so fixed it up.. thx..

Pablin

ftp server configuration
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 06:32:57 PM »
the link to how to dont work please somebody can update??

Offline crazybob

• +0/-0
    • Stalzer R&D
ftp server configuration
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 07:17:48 PM »
Try http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver//contribs/dungog/packages/smeserver/6.0/i386/dungog/RPMS/
the rpm to get is smeserver-remoteuseraccess-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

That should help with what you are trying to accomplish
If you think you know whats going on, you obviously have no idea whats going on!

Pablin

ftp server configuration
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 01:28:30 AM »
i install the smeserver-remoteuseraccess-1.2-10.noarch.rpm but i have another problem y modify the ftp chroot for some user but when i connect via ftp the logon its ok but i cant enter on the directories "550 html: Permission denied" how can i modify the permission?? of the user to have control of some ibay

Offline raem

• +4/-0
ftp server configuration
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 11:01:41 AM »
Pablin

> "550 html: Permission denied" how can i modify the permission?? of the > user to have control of some ibay

In server manager ibay panel, make the ibay owned by a group eg for read & write.
Add the user to that group

If you read the manual it tells you this, so I suggest you read the manual.