Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

first experiences with SME 6.5 Beta1

felipevidal

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2005, 04:38:45 AM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"
Stefan, did you have trouble with the mysql 4.0.xx update? It is late and maybe I mistyped something but it seems to me that the way to upgrade to mysql 4 needs to be changed.  I get an error that the username and password must be specified when running the fix_privelege_tables part.  I think you have to specify the root username and password similarly to the howto I made here for MySQL 4.1 - http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=25414.0.  There are some changes to the default /etc/my.cnf file from 6.0.1 to 6.5 that are causing this I think - probably better security??

I think the problem you are experiencing has to do with a change in MySQL's password hashing method.  They 'improved' it to make it more secure.  I had similar problems with ClarkConnect 3.0beta when they upgraded in the beta cycle.

See this article at the MySQL website here.

I hope this was helpful.
Regards,
-felipe

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2005, 01:17:49 PM »
Quote from: "felipevidal"
I think the problem you are experiencing has to do with a change in MySQL's password hashing method.  They 'improved' it to make it more secure.  I had similar problems with ClarkConnect 3.0beta when they upgraded in the beta cycle.
That is definitly an issue when upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 on SME - it is necessary to use the --old-passwords option.  But something else changed from 6.0.1 to 6.5b1 that made it necessary to specify the password in the fix_privileges_table command when going from 3 to 4.0.  I made a mysql 4.0.23 upgrade script for 6.5b1 here - http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/SME6.5UpdateScripts

Skydiver

6.5 Beta Tests results
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2005, 09:25:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just thought i would add my results of the 6.5 install.
The company i work for are primary VOIP providers and we have been testing asterisk PBX with digium cards as a small office solution etc.. on SME 5.6 & 6.01.

Next stage We wanted to complete some tests with SME as a soft switch between our GateKeeper and a PSTN company using SIP from the PSTN Co to SME with H323 then to our H323 Gatekeeper.

Installation on a production server was easy and no issues noted. We added all the required dependencies and once again no issues noted.

All in all for a novice the 6.5 release has the thumbs up. Any server software that you can simply place the cd in the rom drive and follow a few simple prompts and find as an end result the server can be operational as a Secure web/mail server and is easy to manage has to be a winner.

The developers need to take a bow, with all SME releases i have experienced and deployed to small companies i have nothing but good results.

Thanks for the updated Version & Keep up the good work. Many People are lucky to have SME and the support of the developers.

Cheers
SkyDiver

Offline kmccarn

• +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2005, 01:25:28 PM »
Well - I finally upgraded my home server to the 6.5b1

Sincere thanks to all who worked on it.

So far - the only major thing I've noticed is that it seems way faster than before. (might be my perception though)

I ran through the update scripts from Greg (thanks) and only had one error in step 3 "sh phpize - no such command" or something like that.

But webmail still works - so I'm not sure it's critical.

I also noticed that in the new (?) webmail you can choose the local LDAP directory - hadn't noticed that before.

Still wondering how to activate the Spamassassin that is mentioned in the changelog - but I have to work today.

Thanks again - and kudos for all your efforts.

Kevin
Kevin in WV 8-)......

haj

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2005, 11:08:07 PM »
Hello,

Upgraded to 6.5 in garteway mode and I can not connect to gmail smtp server using ssl...

Offline kmccarn

• +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2005, 12:04:48 AM »
OK - I have tested the vpn remote access from 2 different PC's on different domains.

WORKS GREAT !!

Using it now from Starbucks - 40 miles from home - I can browse all my files -- maybe I'll try printing something.

HOORAY !

:lol:
Kevin in WV 8-)......

Offline jahlewis

• +0/-0
    • http://www.arachnerd.com/
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2005, 04:56:12 PM »
I installed it on a clean box, and everything went well with the install.  I noticed 6.5b1 has a new system monitoring screen, which when expanded, included memory and processor load with rrd/mrtg maps.

I REALLY like using the sysmon rpms Shad used to maintain, and was hoping for similar coverage (memory, load, processes, uptime, network etc.) as well as the nice graphs... in 6.5b1

Can anyone shed light into what the plans are with the system monitoring aspect?

I also want to add my thanks and kudo's to all the work put into this, and again reiterate the questions of some guidiance on what we should be testing.

Offline jmartin

• +0/-0
    • http://www.ci.wayne.mi.us
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2005, 09:32:15 PM »
I upgraded a test box from 6.0.1 to 6.5beta1 and it worked great.

GREAT JOB and thanks for all the hard work

Do the recycle bins in the user home directories and ibays get cleaned out automatically or do they need to be cleaned out manually?

duncan

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2005, 02:46:47 AM »
Hi,

1st up - nice job guys.

I note in the list of changes that Pattern matching has been included - however I cant see any method of enabling this. Is this a command line thing?

Regards Duncan

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2005, 04:43:39 AM »
Quote from: "jmartin"
Do the recycle bins in the user home directories and ibays get cleaned out automatically or do they need to be cleaned out manually?

They need to be cleaned out manually.

Quote from: "duncan"
I note in the list of changes that Pattern matching has been included - however I cant see any method of enabling this. Is this a command line thing?

There is section for them in the email panel once it is enabled.  To enable issue the following command:

Code: [Select]
/sbin/e-smith/config setprop smtpfront-qmail Patterns enabled

if you want pattern matching on the secure interface as well do the following:

/sbin/e-smith/config setprop ssmtpfront-qmail Patterns enabled

Once you have done this then go to the email panel and configure what you want blocked and save.

-Shad
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

duncan

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2005, 07:27:27 AM »
Hi Shad.

Im guessing its

/sbin/e-smith/config setprop smtpfront-qmail Patterns enabled

Regards Duncan