Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

first experiences with SME 6.5 Beta1

gocdo

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 10:05:15 AM »
For those interested SATA support works for me.

I have a 1RU box with 2 SATA disks only. I can install the 6.5 beta on this box (in Raid1 mode). Performance is great with hdparam -t reporting over 60MB/sec.

Nice to see an interim update while waiting for Lycoris. I presume the developers had a chance to try installing many of the common contribs - such as those in the upgrade scripts etc. Any chance of a list of the contribs that have been found to work or not.

Appreciated
regards
kevin

Offline ngomes

• +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 11:43:45 AM »
Hi all,

For all of you that don’t have time to read the following important docs stated in here:
+ SME Server 6.5 Beta1 Changed RPMS
+ SME Server 6.5 Beta1 Changelog

Please READ a résumé in here:
+ SME Server 6.5 beta contribs compatibility issues

And please also note the following:
+ SME Server 6.5 Beta1 is a Public/Community Release, NOT a Lycoris Release.
+ Many developers worked directly or indirectly (Devinfo Mailing List and Bug Tracker People) on this 6.5 version.
+ Special thanks go to these main/core developers (alphabetically):
+ Charlie Brady from http://www.e-smith.com
+ Gordon Rowell from http://www.e-smith.com
+ Greg J. Zartman from http://www.leiinc.com
+ Jay Fenlason from http://www.redhat.com
+ Michael Soulier from http://www.e-smith.com
+ Mark Knox from http://www.e-smith.com
+ Shad Lords from http://lordsfam.net
+ Tony Clayton from http://www.e-smith.com

Thanks in advanced,
Nuno Rafael Gomes
Learning everyday from everyday problems...

Offline Tib

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tibors.net
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2005, 02:44:43 PM »
Hello all,

Well I've had an interesting load with the new 6.5 ver.

I decided to do an update to a 6.0.1-01 install wich had the smeupdate script run on it as well as a couple of other addons like egroupware, phpmyadmin, twig not (twiggi) ... twiggi is part of the smeupdate script, openvpn and phpldapadmin are a few I can think off.

this server is in server only mode atm.

The update went well except for good old mysql ... it broke ... with a little stuffing arround and updates I got it going again.

First I updated mysql to 4.0 ... it ran like a dream again ... then i got greedy and decided to update it to 4.1 with smeghead's update script and I broke it again.

But again with a little stuffing around I got it to run ... not fixed properly as it won't come online after a re-boot but if I start it manually it's fine ... I think I've butchered it up a bit as I can't start it with "service mysqld start" I have to use "service mysql start".
Ohh and I had password problems ... I set the password manually but how do you get it back to normal ??

I can access all the features I've tried so far like webmail, egroupware, phpmyadmin, phpldapadmin,twiggi and twig ... they seem to be functioning properly ... haven't tested out openvpn yet but it started up with an OK at startup so I would think it's fine.

Anyway enough testing for one night ... I'll check a few more things out tomorrow and the weekend.

Could someone help me get MySQL back on track please.

Regards,

Tib

P.S sorry for the double post ... wan't sure if I had to post here or the General discussion section.

guest22

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2005, 03:05:10 PM »
Please avoid cross-postings. Thx.

jok11n

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2005, 11:55:06 PM »
Quote from: "marsa_matruh"
Why so big?

6.01 ISO : 350 Mb
6.5beta1 ISO : 440 Mb

Samba 2 -> Samba 3 : 15 Mb

Missing 65 Mb.

From what I understand there are a bunch of dev tools in the beta iso (although not installed, just there) I would suspect that they may be left out of the final release though.

Offline stefan24

• +0/-0
    • www.sme-server.de
Re: SMTP auth to ISP
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 08:57:38 AM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"

The e-smith-email RPM included in 6.5beta1 includes an
an SMTP authentication proxy.
[...]
To enable it from the command line, do:

config setprop smtp-auth-proxy status enabled
config setprop smtp-auth-proxy Userid aaaaa
config setprop smtp-auth-proxy Passwd xxxxxxxxx
config set SMTPSmartHost smtp.your.isp
signal-event email-update

This works with SME 6.5 without any problem. Thank you!
I know, that I tried that with SME 6.01, and it did not work, but maybe I did not have the right e-smith-email.rpm there.

Quote from: "CharlieBrady"

As I understand it, there is no panel support for this feature.

Since the Userid and Passwd normally is the pop username and password and since the SMTPSmartHost is (at least here) the "Address of Internet provider's mail server" from the e-mail panel, this should work without an additional panel!?
You just have to create a new check box "use the pop username /password as SMTP Auth" in the e-mail panel and fill it with the contents like described!?

But sorry, I cannot do myself.

Offline stefan24

• +0/-0
    • www.sme-server.de
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005, 10:38:15 AM »
Hi!

So, the SMEPLUS script seems to work with SME 6.5 with most of the updates and contribs.

I just had to update the 6.0x check, remark the already installed updates and only have minor problems with the AV script from Jesper and major problems with the SpamAssasin script from Jesper. We are already talking via E-Mail about a solution of the problems.

I will update the existing script to support also SME 6.5 ASAP, and include Jesper's scripts again, when the problems are fixed.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »
Stefan, did you have trouble with the mysql 4.0.xx update? It is late and maybe I mistyped something but it seems to me that the way to upgrade to mysql 4 needs to be changed.  I get an error that the username and password must be specified when running the fix_privelege_tables part.  I think you have to specify the root username and password similarly to the howto I made here for MySQL 4.1 - http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=25414.0.  There are some changes to the default /etc/my.cnf file from 6.0.1 to 6.5 that are causing this I think - probably better security??

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
Re: SMTP auth to ISP
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2005, 11:04:01 AM »
Quote from: "stefan24"
Since the Userid and Passwd normally is the pop username and password and since the SMTPSmartHost is (at least here) the "Address of Internet provider's mail server" from the e-mail panel, this should work without an additional panel!?
You just have to create a new check box "use the pop username /password as SMTP Auth" in the e-mail panel and fill it with the contents like described!?

But sorry, I cannot do myself.

Maybe add a note in the bug tracker about this?  If any contribs.org staff are reading this, is it ok to use the bug tracker for minor feature requests such as this?

guest22

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2005, 12:49:33 PM »
Hi Greg,

actually the bugtracker is strictly for the base distro. For now user contributed rpm/files/scripts should be discussed directly with the author. On the other hand I personally understand your request, we're simply not yet equiped for that, sorry. Maybe we can set up a contribs category for this, I will discuss this.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2005, 05:45:45 PM »
Quote from: "marsa_matruh"

Why so big?

6.01 ISO : 350 Mb
6.5beta1 ISO : 440 Mb

Dev tools (compilers, libraries) are included, in case anyone wants to help out with the development.

Offline hmuhammad

• +0/-0
Prefer to name a system 'server' which the beta disallows.
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2005, 07:07:04 PM »
I tried to name my first SME 6.5beta1 test installation 'server' and the configuration dialogs refused to allow it.

I would really appreciate the option to continue naming servers 'server'.

I've historically named servers 'server' and domains 'network', which, for me, makes for naturally easy user training; especially in small offices having only one server.

Its just natural to refer to the network as 'network' rather than trying to explain 'domain' to users. If there's only one server its just simple to name it 'server' (eliminates an additional name being used). I think the words 'network' and 'server' are now common in the business world; I just find it easier to not introduce more names (like domain and its domainname; server and its servername).

Thanks for the good effort and work,
Hasan

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »
Quote from: "guest22"
...actually the bugtracker is strictly for the base distro...

For this case if someone made a bug report with the setting "Severity=Feature", would that be appropriate?  It is basically a request to modify an existing package (e-smith-email I think).

Offline markehle

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2005, 07:50:19 PM »
Somewhere on this website I saw a thread about the newest version of imp (3?). It has a slew of really neat features.

Is there any chance that it could make it into the next version of SME?

Thanks!

Mark

guest22

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2005, 11:36:19 PM »
@greg, sure, if you or anybody else suspects is a part of the base distro, please feel free to report it as a bug or feature request. Thanks!