Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

first experiences with SME 6.5 Beta1

Offline stefan24

• +0/-0
    • www.sme-server.de
« on: January 19, 2005, 10:53:42 AM »
Hi!

Beside a Samba 3.0 and SpamAssasin 3.0.2 update I cannot find any major updates in SME 6.5. (in the RPM-Changelog). No new PHP, MySQL, Apache, Kernel version.

In the port forwarding panel there is no hint, that port forwarding is now deactivated, when the server is in server-only mode. (which I found in the Changelog)

Server-Manager access is now https:// only.
Default LDAP settings on a new system are empty now.
Pseudonyms can now be nested.
Deleted files can now optionally been moved to the recycle bin (in i-bay config).
System Monitoring (with MRTG) checks Free Memory and Load Average.
Internal POP3 and IMAP SSL options are available, also SMTP Auth locally (!) like in the Securemail Contrib by Dungog. What is still lacking is the SMTP Auth feature for accessing the provider's SMTP server.

I will test our SMEPLUS Upate script now and report back, what works and what fails.

guest22

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 11:07:54 AM »
The focus towards the final release of SME Server 6.5 is as it has always been in general for SME Server: Secure, reliable and easy to administate.

Users may choose to install contribs and apply scripts at their own risk.

Look at the default SME Server as a startingpoint for further exploration and playground for your skills or wishes.

btw, the kernel version has changed in this Beta release

Thanks!

Offline stefan24

• +0/-0
    • www.sme-server.de
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
Quote from: "guest22"
The focus towards the final release of SME Server 6.5 is as it has always been in general for SME Server: Secure, reliable and easy to administate.

OK, then please tell me, why you have not updated openSSH and ZLib, which can be found in the smeplus script and there being considered as security fixes?
Other packages have been updated, but not to really newer versions, so I cannot check, if the security fixes have been included.

Quote from: "guest22"

btw, the kernel version has changed in this Beta release

Sure:

-kernel-2.4.20-18.7.i386.rpm
+kernel-2.4.20-37.7.legacy.i386.rpm

Is any S-ATA support added here now?

Additionally, I think, that SMTP Auth towards the provider is very important, and since I have written an article about SME server for a german network magazine and have searched for a solution to send mails to the provider, which - at least in Germany - are using SMTP Auth, I can state, that there is no (legally available) solution to get this to work.

guest22

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 11:38:35 AM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions Stefan. Let's give it a day or so, to see who jumps into this thread too, for I personally do not have all the answers.

Offline dickmorrell

• +0/-0
    • http://www.dickmorrell.com
Seems strange
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 11:40:52 AM »
Why would you release a beta with known vulnerabilities ?

There are norlug rpms freely available and dagweeirs free apt site which has up to date rpms available.

Whenever I have released betas in the past I've always - always - had latest shipping versions of stable services in them so as then to make sure testing 1) worked 2) could be documented.

Seems a bit lame :(

Will 6.5 include the hard work of Jesper K etc etc or is that seen as then competing with a Lycoris version that could be easily handbuilt anyway from scripts I assume Jesper will eventually modify.

Not overly impressed so far and only 15 mins into testing.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 11:53:31 AM »
A few notes about what I like so far :-)  I think it's a good start...  I'm glad to see all the e-smith* packages updated, that was a very important part of this update that no one else had contributed as far as I know.  I also like the new secure email settings built in, and the fact you now don't need to specify a DNS server if your server is behind a home router.  There is lots of good stuff in there.

I would never complain about something that was free ;-)  There is always the option to install additional contribs yourself.  A sincere thank you to everyone that helped put the 6.5 beta together, and especially thanks for sharing your work with all of us.

Offline stefan24

• +0/-0
    • www.sme-server.de
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 12:58:29 PM »
My PII 400 (single processor) starts now with SME-SMP.
On another customer SME 6.0, this broke the start of SME. SME 6.5 SMP starts here without problems, but since it won't use the SMP code, UP would be a better choice!?

BTW: the e-mail redirection to unknown users is far better than ever.

I would never complain about something that was free

OK, you are right in all other cases. I can update the packages myself and add other contribs. But OTOH why should everybody do this, when it has to be done once at Lycoris?

And please tell me, how to connect to a provider's SMTP server, if it only supports SMTP Auth.
I use a DSL access with dynamic IP addresses, so sending my mails directly to the receipent's SMTP server is no choice, since these IP address ranges are banned by many SPAM filters.

tenanji

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 03:16:09 PM »
Is this the Centos Port?

bovnet

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 03:35:11 PM »
smp kernel on my via c3 1ghz. Seems to work ok though.

Its not a major leap i was hoping for. Many distros now on 2.6 even servers.

Steve.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Seems strange
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 03:42:06 PM »
Quote from: "dickmorrell"

Hi Dick.

If you know of any vulnerabilities, please report them to security@contribs.org.

Regards

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
Re: first experiences with SME 6.5 Beta1
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 04:48:55 PM »
Quote from: "stefan24"
Hi!

Beside a Samba 3.0 and SpamAssasin 3.0.2 update I cannot find any major updates in SME 6.5. (in the RPM-Changelog). No new PHP, MySQL, Apache, Kernel version.

SME 6.5 basically represents an updated to all current Fedora legacy packages that are relevent to SME.  While this isn't a major release, it certainly is a valuable one.  Remember, we aren't trying to build a distro out of cutting edge packages, but a stable one.  I think this release does just this and provides a good stepping stone for a move to a new OS base.

Greg Zartman
----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
Re: Seems strange
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 05:02:40 PM »

What are you talking about Dick?

Whenever I have released betas in the past I've always - always - had latest shipping versions of stable services in them so as then to make sure testing 1) worked 2) could be documented.

You are always talking about all these betas that you put out, but I've yet to see you contribute a single line of code to SME, ever.  

Will 6.5 include the hard work of Jesper K etc etc or is that seen as then competing with a Lycoris version that could be easily handbuilt anyway from scripts I assume Jesper will eventually modify.

First, this is not a Lycoris release, this is a community release.  Lycoris had nothing to do with this.  Shad Lords was the driving force behind getting this release out and therefore he deserves the credit.

Second, SME 6.5 includes what you see in the changelog.  Any work that was in the community that added to the "Core" OS w/o sacrificing stability was included.

Not overly impressed so far and only 15 mins into testing.

Spend more than 15min with SME 6.5.  There's alot more there than can be seen by looking at server-manager.  As I previously stated in this thread, we know this isn't an earth shattering major release.  However, it is a significant improvement of 6.0.1.  Basically, we've moved from a RH 7.3 core to a RH 9 core.  I think this will position us well for a move to a RHEL core.

Greg
----
Greg J. Zartman

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 05:05:54 PM »
Quote from: "bovnet"
Its not a major leap i was hoping for. Many distros now on 2.6 even servers.
Steve.

Not true.  RHEL is still using a 2.4 kernel.  

Greg Zartman
----
Greg J. Zartman

bovnet

wallyrp

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 05:43:56 PM »
Good Morning,

First off, kudos and credits to everyone involved in any community release! Your efforts are much appreciated by myself. I refuse to use terminology such as loser, lamer, etc. when dealing with a community effort because of how it affects teamwork.

I will attempt to work with the new release and see where it leads me. I still strongly encourage different flavors of community SME server iso's. I like the options provided by the various folks. Hell, I might release a REDNECK SME Server iso. :)

With the understanding that everyone can't be everything to everyone, I have a couple of requests for the "flavor" folks. I would like a "flavor" that is tailored to a "server-only" setup and another one tailored to a "server/gateway" setup. There are different needs in either setup. Example, I don't need SAMBA on a server-gateway solution when that's all I'm using it for but I would like stats from the various services like web, email, and others.

The more I think about the REDNECK SME Server iso, the more I like it. Hrmm.... Some of ya'll though wouldn't be able to decipher the language used in the panels and other places. :)

Example:

M R Ducks
M R Not
O S A R
C M Wangs
L I B
M R Ducks

Translation:

Them are ducks
Them are not
Oh yes they are
See them wings