Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

$80 USD via Paypal for Open-Xchange install

djhomeless

« on: January 16, 2005, 01:41:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I know there is a lot of interest in getting Open-Exchange installed and working in this forum, myself included!

I really would be interested in seeing this happen, so what I would like to do is offer $80 for some hardy soul to install Open-Xchange on my system, then post the (hopefully positive) results for the benefit of the community.

While I'm slowly getting the hang of SME (with a lot of thanks to the community), looking over the install docs for OE I know I am woefully out of depth.

If anyone is interested, please reply back to this thread. I'm running SME v.6.0.1-01.

Thanks!

Geoffrey

gardnc

As well
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 03:07:52 PM »
We will sweeten the pot with an additional $80.00.  Reach me at larry.gardner at gss-usa.net

djhomeless

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 06:17:22 PM »
What a great idea!

Any takers?? ;)

Geoffrey

tbcomputing

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 06:27:04 PM »
I've looked long and hard at this.

I've managed to install it on Fedora Core 1 and Suse 9.1.

But.... thats not the end of the story. Once its installed it the whole setup needs to be synchronised with Samba and with the LDAP Schema used by SME so that you can have seamless logins etc.

I am going to put it on a separate box - since mines only a home network for fun a cheap server from ebay will do.

Just my 2p worth.

FWIW ox properly integrated into SME would be the server of choice!

Tony

djhomeless

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 01:04:36 PM »
Thanks for your response Tony!

If anyone else would be interested in this enterprise, either from a financial or manpower standpoint, please post to this thread!

I'm willing to up the ante to $100 USD. I agree with Tony that a proper OE integration will really help the SME community!

Geoffrey

SSBN

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 02:41:09 PM »
I will add $50USD for this feature as well. Bounties work for webmin they may work for SME. I think that makes the total $230 USD

djhomeless

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »
Quote from: "SSBN"
I think that makes the total $230 USD

I'd like to think that this is indicative how much the community would like to see this integration happen!

Even if you can't offer cash, it would be nice to see who out there would be willing to help push this along(testing, research, loaner servers, etc etc).

Geoffrey

totodiaz

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 05:50:47 PM »
I will add another $80.00

tbcomputing

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 08:06:14 PM »
Two interesting factors should be considered:

the efforts being made to base SME on Centos.

the recent posting on the ox documents of install instructions on Whitebox Enterprisde Linux 3 (open source build of Redhat Enterprise Server same as Centos) My schoolboy (many years ago) Spanish leads me to believe that the install on Centos is as simple as it gets for ox - and its never simple.

Anyone working on the SME/Centos development lurking here?

Tony

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »
Quote from: "tbcomputing"
...the install on Centos is as simple as it gets for ox - and its never simple.

Yes, there are many rpms that are required that are not included in the distribution or redhat/centos/whitebox/SME/whatever, and there is lots of configuration needed.  So the install will be similar on any of those.

Instead of learning spanish, the howto found at http://sietse.net/ox-howto/ also gives a good idea of what is required.  You just need to find different rpms for some of the stuff, maybe have a few custom templates for sme (and there is a postgreqsl howto already somewhere here), but a lot of it is the same, just as a lot of this howto is similar to the Spanish howto.

tbcomputing

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 10:47:31 PM »
Hi Greg

You missed my point.

I'm aware of all of the other howtos.

What is interesting is a working, documemted install on a RHEL clone - like Centos.

You mention all of the diverse packages which are required.

If SME runs on top of Centos there's a working ox install, and all of the necessary files/dependancies documented and available.

That's got to be easier than finding, I suspect by a hit and miss method, all of the requireds for what is the Redhat 7.3 base of the current SME.

Hope this clarifies my point.

Tony

djhomeless

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 11:47:04 PM »
But is definite that SME is migrating over to Centos? And if so, when?

Looking through the site and the forum's, it seems that most of the push is coming from the community and not from Lycoris. Granted I'm new to the community so I could be wrong.

IMHO, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. In other words, I'd rather push for a solid integration now, rather than wait for a stable SME on Centos ISO.

My 2 cents.

Geoffrey

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 02:31:54 AM »
Quote from: "tbcomputing"
That's got to be easier than finding, I suspect by a hit and miss method, all of the requireds for what is the Redhat 7.3 base of the current SME.
That might be true, but this was the whole idea of this thread I think, to get it working on SME 6.  I don't think it's impossible.  There will always be quirks with the install for SME, whether it is SME 6 or "SME on Centos" because of the templates, etc.  If someone came out with a Redhat 7.3 howto, there would still be things you had to change for SME.

I also wouldn't expect this to be included in a "SME on Centos" release, if that does ever happen, more likely would be Horde 3 / Imp 4 / etc included.

Jon_Reynolds

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 04:20:52 AM »
I was actually just looking back into this again today and was thinking I was going to try and integrate this with my sme 6.0.1-1 server. If I do, I will post back to here any progress or problems that I run into.

Jon

GoVeGeTa

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 12:59:27 PM »
I thought this was a community!

Bounty's aside!

Why dont we all work together to get this going instead of paying someone to do it!

Hell! While were at it we may aswell pay microsoft to do it for us!

What ever happened to ppl willing to do something that no one else has done?

You know!

I dont know much about SME (only that i run it and it is good)!

But I can tell you that i will go all out to get this going and not for the money either!

But I will be asking for a shit load of help!

Anyone else up for the challenge?

:pint: