Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

$80 USD via Paypal for Open-Xchange install

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"

Also, I uploaded some of the files that you have to manually download from java.sun.com to my contribs directory - I heven't had time to put them in the script yet, but they are here: http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/gswallow/open-xchange/java.sun.com/

Is that legal? I know Sun is pretty anal about allowing redistribution - one of the reasons I've stayed away from Java when I could.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2005, 09:07:03 PM »
Quote from: "CharlieBrady"
Is that legal? I know Sun is pretty anal about allowing redistribution - one of the reasons I've stayed away from Java when I could.

I hope so.  I think they just want to force you to read the licence before downloading.  I will add the licence.txt files for each one to the directory.  Perhaps the script should also copy the licence files to the server somewhere?

I am not fluent enough in lawyer-speak to know if somewhere in there it says you can't make a copy of the file you can freely download from them available to the public - http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jdk-1_5_0_01-license.txt

Offline jester

• +1/-0
And this is where it ends?! $250 for an easy installing RPM
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2005, 12:25:48 AM »
Nobody is looking any further into the integration of Open-Xchange and SME?! I'm kind of a SME/linux nitwit, but now, with the outlook plugin (OXLOOK) wouldn't this combination be a golden duo?! I've seen the install-script, but that don't work any more... several broken links and dependencies.

===>> I will pay $250 for the (first) one that makes a contrib rpm that will nicely install Open-Xchange 0.8.0 (when it is finished) on SME6.5 (also when it is finished) and some basic manager-panel. I know a few victims who want this verry badly as well, so i might shake out some more and raise the amount. <<===

I understand this is against several members beliefs to put a bounty on something like this, but i can't do it myself, am to much of a linux-nitwit to figure out the broken install-script  and it seems the developement is not going anywhere without some sort of a boost. Am i the only one who sees the HUGE POTENTIAL of the combination of SME - OpenXcange - OXLOOK/OXConduit?!

Anyone up for the challenge?!

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2005, 02:56:17 AM »
Quote from: "gregswallow"

I am not fluent enough in lawyer-speak to know if somewhere in there it says you can't make a copy of the file you can freely download from them available to the public - http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jdk-1_5_0_01-license.txt

It doesn't need to say that you can't. You can't, under copyright law, *unless* they give you permission. So what matters is whether they say you can, not whether it says you can't.

dave_d

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »
Hello Jester,

It's not so much a case of "Nobody is looking any further into the integration of Open-Xchange and SME" but more a case of "can anyone find the time to do it".  It's all very well offering $250.00 to the person who can do it, but to do the job properly requires input from several people.  I, for one, don't have a full and complete picture of how an SME server is built and so I would require someone to help me (for example) to rebuild and test replacement RPMs for the bits that I've either taken out or cludged over whilst getting to the stage of getting an OpenXchange login prompt.  Alternatively I would have to find out how to do this myself - something that I don't have time to do at present.  I think too that offering one or more RPMs to do this job that haven't been thoroughly and exhaustively tested would be to give SME server a bad reputation that it really doesn't need.  I'm sure that development of this will take place - but probably not tomorrow.

Integrating a large chunk of software into a system that is itself under development is never a 5 minute task. You may well get further down your road if you were to set out in a calm and composed manner starting with the script produced so far and solving the problems one by one as they emerge.  I'm sure that posting particular broken links, for example, would elicit some replies whereas just saying 'links are broken' doesn't help much.  Also, at the end of this process you would no longer be the nitwit you presently claim to be!!

You might also try approaching Garet of Ruffdogs.  He's the man who's going to be at the helm (or maybe just sort of hanging around near the helm) and he is probably in as good a position as anyone to direct this operation.

Regards,

Dave

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »
Quote from: "dave_d"

Integrating a large chunk of software into a system that is itself under development is never a 5 minute task.

I'd suggest it would be more like a 50 hour job. So the bounty on offer is likely below minimum wages.

Offline jmvelez

• +0/-0
    • http://velezcomputer.com
bounty
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2005, 02:33:19 AM »
Charlie Brady said:

"I'd suggest it would be more like a 50 hour job. So the bounty on offer is likely below minimum wages."

Let's see how many are willing to contribute to an escrow account with paypall for this job.  The how to would be available to those that contributed to the job.  If not enough contribution are found that is end of the story.  Maintenance of that contribution would also have to be paid since changes in SME and the openxchange package.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2005, 09:40:43 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thanx for your reply. I understand that it is a big task to develope such a piece of software, and i've been trying to work my way trough the original install script, even changed a minur bug in it (...an obvious one though ;-) ) But when the errors and broken dependencies come flying accross my screen during installation i get lost. I too am not blessed with a bundle of spare time so i've got a golden rule for myself: stick to what you're good at and ask help when you're out of your league (learned this one tiling my bathroom and totally messing it up, ended up frustated, hiring a professional and had to get the same tiles twice).

So from my perspective... i'm trying to get help from the professionals in this area because my knowledge and time is to limited.

This topic started of with somebody willing to pay for a script and with the effort of several, one was produced! So it seemed like a good way to start of developement this way again (maybe against some beliefs). I'm trying to gain a bit of momentum and see if there are more people who are willing to add some money to get a bit more than the minimum wage for Charlie  ;-) .

Offline jester

• +1/-0
Re: bounty
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »
Quote from: "jmvelez"
Let's see how many are willing to contribute to an escrow account with paypall for this job.  The how to would be available to those that contributed to the job.

I'm sorry jmvalez, i don't know if you started your idea because of the original intent of this topic or because i'm trying to get it alive again, but i'm not after a how-to but an rpm and i wouldn't want it to be only for the ones who ~paid~ for it. If developement is started of again because some people are willing to pay for it, having it as a comunity contrib might be enticing enough for others (who do have the knowledge) to update and/or maintain it so it will survive new versions of SME and Open-Xchange

dave_d

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2005, 10:47:24 AM »
Hello!

I've just had a quick glance through the install script as it presently stands, and I think that we can probably get some progress if we can find people willing to do particular things that will improve the script.  It's a case of best eating an elephant in small pieces.  Whilst none of the script is particularly elegant there are areas that stand out as being in particular need of some TLC.

Don't get too despondent about apparently slow progress - there has already been significant progress since the first outline of how to do this job was posted by Greg.  Further small inputs by individuals will soon yield a fully functional and tested solution.

To start with, might I suggest a call for volunteers to create an updated LDAP RPM (or RPMs)?  That, at least, would fix a major weakness in the script.  I'm sure that anyone who did this AND was willing to document how it is done in excruciatingly fine detail would encourage other, less expert folk to try other areas of development.  There's nothing like a good worked example to instil confidence!

So, .....  any LDAP experts out there???

It might help too if someone like Charlie Brady could make some suggestions about particular areas that need improvement.  (I'm assuming here that Charlie is one of the original developers - please excuse my presumption if this is not the case!)

Perhaps we could work on this list of things to do ....

1. Create replacement LDAP RPMs
2. Create replacement/updated Perl RPMs
N. Final RPMs released for version 9.2.34 of SME Superserver.

Regards,

Dave

P.S. This is just my personal take on things!! :-D  :-D

Offline rcasado

• +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2005, 04:05:33 PM »
> N. Final RPMs released for version 9.2.34 of SME Superserver.

:-D

Looking back, Mitel had some “superserver” plans with E-Smith and their “voice over IP revolution”… Looking forward, it wouldn’t be at all surprising to see an evolution of SME / Open-Xchange / Asterisk rolled neatly into a killer app… and yes… it would be a killer app…

Needless to say there would be a monstrous amount of effort involved, but think of the ramifications…

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: bounty
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2005, 04:59:01 PM »
Quote from: "jmvelez"

Let's see how many are willing to contribute to an escrow account with paypall for this job.  The how to would be available to those that contributed to the job.

So you're quite happy to use software that someone else has paid to have developed, but you don't want to share any development that you sponsor.

totodiaz

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2005, 08:13:47 PM »
Last count I had it was up to $500.00 dlls, plus $250.00 from jester.

As somebody said, this will make a Golden product.
I'm starting testing today.

Offline gregswallow

• +1/-0
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2005, 08:28:19 PM »
Dave D, it might be better to renew efforts for this on the new 7.0alpha3 release.  It is based on Centos-3.4 (RHEL3), so there is probably more chance finding rpms out there that others have contributed already.

Regarding bounties - any work that is completed will be shared with everyone, not just those that contributed.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2005, 10:53:36 PM »
Quote from: "dave_d"

It might help too if someone like Charlie Brady could make some suggestions about particular areas that need improvement.  (I'm assuming here that Charlie is one of the original developers - please excuse my presumption if this is not the case!)

Depends on what you mean by "original". I didn't have any input until version 3.0.

1. Create replacement LDAP RPMs

Do you mean LDAP rpms, or e-smith-ldap RPM? IOW, is it only the configuration of ldap and population of the database that needs to change, or do you need to replace the base version of openldap? If the latter, why?