Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Linux Workstations on SME

crimsonline

« on: December 30, 2004, 09:34:29 AM »
Hi everybody,
I have been using SME 6.01 for about 1 year using windows 2000 and XP workstations. I would like to move away from windows and implement suse 9.2 workstations on my network.. Can SME support linux workstations together with windows workstations without any problems? And manage both with a Primary domain controller feel?
Regards,
Louis

crimsonline

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:22:10 PM »
I’ve done some looking around on the net but can’t find any info on this
Does anybody know if it is possible @ all?

rmarshall

linux and sme
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 07:39:18 PM »
I've been using sme and Suse for almost 2 years. You just use samba   as you would with windows.

Damian

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 06:54:58 PM »
Did you see this post .... ?

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php?topic=24054.0

That gets you NFS access onto the fileserver (SME) so you can share files and you can also (as suggested) use smbclient to browse all shares and interact with them.

Damian
(Using SME 6.0 via NFS from a SuSE 9.1 laptop daily.)

crimsonline

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 08:39:53 AM »
ok, so i use nfs to access all the ibays from my suse workstations. Can i manage all my user accounts with sme server? what are the limitations?

Damian

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 11:44:08 AM »
You can manage all UNIX accounts from your SME server using NIS. NIS, and it's partner the automounter on UNIX clients will allow any user to log in from any workstation and be placed in their locally-mounted home directory.

NIS works very well and many large corprorations continue to use it. Some will advise caution in it's use though so you'll need to evaluate the pros and cons yourself. For example, don't run it on your SME server unless it's in Server-only mode as configuration error can lead to disclosure of NIS provided info being leaked to the 'net.

See Jesper's link at http://no.longer.valid/mylinks/singlelink.php?cid=93&lid=46

I talked a School sysadmin in Spain through setting this up for 20-odd workstations so that the kids can access their stuff from any machine and he's very pleased with what it gives him (SuSE server & clients). More details on request.

There aren't any major limitations other than needing to have more than one NIS server. Just like running a MS network without a BDC, running a NIS network without at least one NIS slave server is asking for trouble. For that, just make a couple of the workstations NIS slaves as well as clients.

If you want to go into it in more detail let me know.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 07:25:12 PM »
Thanks Damian,

I’m trying (going to) start moving away from windows and think that Suse 9.2 would be the ideal workstation. I would also like so stay using SME Server (It has been very good to me) or should I move away and use a Suse Server? I really appreciate  all the help.

Thanx
Louis

PS: the link u sent takes me to wake-up-on-lan

Damian

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 07:51:34 PM »
Louis,

Sometimes I'm such a donut. That link should be http://no.longer.valid/mylinks/singlelink.php?cid=93&lid=460

You'll probably be fine with SME. I've built and used lots of SuSE-based servers in the past  and SME doesn't give you any less, while providing an easier admin interface (web not yast2).

A good idea would be to grab a spare machine, install SME 6.01 onto it and then try to get NIS & the automounter working with one of your SuSE client PCs. If all goes well, make the changes on your real SME server and start bringing the clients on.

Send me an email to eric@cognoscente.no-ip.biz and we can converse offline. The address is an alias which I'll delete after we connect.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 06:03:10 PM »
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, i have done the NIS Master Server Installation on my SME Server. It is running BUT when i go to my Suse 9.2 Workstation and tell it to use NIS for Authentication (during installation using YAST2) it cannnot find the server.
I can:
Ping both machines (server & Workstation)
I cant:
Get the @#$#@$@# workstation to see the SME SERVER

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG !?

Damian

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 07:50:19 PM »
Hi Louis,

Don't Panic :-)

I'll do a test installation tonight and create a HowTo doc.

I'll get back to you when it's done.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 08:23:42 PM »
Thanks Damian,
That would really help me. I’ve been trying since Monday and have completely given up.
YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!!!!!  :-D

wingman

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 09:18:54 PM »
Damian,

It would be great if you would post that how-to here so more of us could take advantage of it.... :lol:

Damian

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 10:19:03 PM »
Well, I followed the howto at http://sme.swerts-knudsen.dk/index.html?frame=http%3A//sme.swerts-knudsen.dk/howtos/howto_31.htm
 and we seem to be in business.

The SME server and client install went pretty much as documented. At the end I could verify that SME was binding to it's own NIS server by issuing "ypwhich" and "ypcat passwd" from the console.

On to the workstation. I use SuSE 9.1 but it should be the same for 9.2. Set up the NIS Client in yast with the following settings:

Use NIS
Static Setup
NIS Domain - something (don't use something.com as it gets confusing later between DNS & NIS)
Broadcast

And finish. This then went off to find the NIS server and hung. I quitted yast and checked manually. Running "ypbind -debug -broadcast" on SuSE showed that the SME server was responding to the broadcast request but didn't do anything further. (Had to run "tcpdump -i eth0" on SuSE as root to see that. Hmmm.

OK, stop ybind on SuSE (rcypbind stop).

Manually edited /etc/yp.conf on SuSE to read:

ypserver 192.168.100.40
domain something broadcast

Then on SME run:

/etc/init.d/ypbind stop
/etc/init.d/ypserv stop
/etc/init.d/portmap stop

then "ps ax | grep portmap" showed that I had two portmap processes running. Kill -9 their PIDs and start it all up again:

/etc/init.d/portmap start
/etc/init.d/ypserv start
/etc/init.d/ypbind start

Then on SuSE /etc/init.d/ypbind start.

"ypwhich" now works from SuSE, as does "ypcat passwd".

So far I haven't edited SuSE's /etc/nsswitch.conf file as I don't really want to make this change active (and the laptop goes to customer sites).

So instead of rewriting a very able howto, please post how far you got and what specific parts are failing. The automounter stuff comes later if you need it.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 09:31:48 AM »
hi damian,
What I’ve done so far:

SME Server;
I followed the Knudsen HowTo  “the NIS Master Server Installation” part but NOT the “NIS Client installation” part (I only have 1 test server)
I followed it to the T !!! and I’m pretty sure it’s running fine I can see the services starting up when rebooting and did all the changes as stated in the howto. ----------- so far so good :-)

Suse Workstation;
During installation with YAST (I chase NIS authentication) and it also hangs and tell me that it can’t see the NIS server.  :-(
I can ping both my server and workstation. So I’m sure the networking part works
Now I went and stopped rcypbind, manually edited /etc/yp.conf on suse to read:
ypserver 192.168.2.100
domain test broadcast

as suggested by Damian. Then on the SME server ‘n stoped ypserv and portmap but I don’t have the ypbind service (Might this be my problem or is it because I don’t have a second SME server?) :-?

Did the ps ax | grep portmap and only had 1 running,

Restarted the Services on SME (the ones I had), then the ypbind on suse but I got;
Ypbind ……………………………….NO NIS SERVER FOUND   :hammer:

ANY HELP would be appreciated, when I get everything up and running I would also like to use the automounter part if possible.

PS: what’s in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file?

Thanks,
Louis

Damian

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 10:31:48 AM »
Louis,

I set up ypbind on the NIS master just to check that I could pull NIS maps OK locally.

If you run ypbind on SuSE with the following options, what do you see ?

ypbind -debug -broadcast

Hopefully the NIS server will respond to the broadcast at least. I get:

add_server() domain: something, broadcast
[Welcome to ypbind-mt, version 1.17.2]

do_broadcast() for domain 'something' is called
Answer for domain 'something' from server 'sme1.something.com'
leave do_broadcast() for domain 'something''

Pinging all active server.
Pinging all active server. ...

If you have this too then this means that the server is probably set up OK.

If so try and start ypbind using:

/etc/init.d/ypbind start

Damian

BTW /etc/nsswitch.conf determines which services your machine uses for which lookups. Even if you have ypbind running on your SuSE box it won't use NIS for passwd lookups unless you tell it to in /etc/nsswitch.conf

crimsonline

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 02:32:40 PM »
Hi Damian,
on ypbind -debug -bradcast I got;

add_server() domain: something, broadcast
[Welcome to ypbind-mt, version 1.17.3]

do_broadcast() for domain 'test' is called
broadcast: RPC: Time out
leave do_broadcast() for domain 'something''
trylock=success

I just did a clean installation again but it gives me the same problem

Louis

Damian

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 03:00:37 PM »
Louis,

The RPC Timeout error suggests that the NIS server isn't responding to broadcast requests.

Even though you're not going to use it later I'd suggest installing ypbind on the server and getting it to bind to itself first. It doesn't take long. Then you'll know whether the issue is on the server or the client.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 03:27:59 PM »
damian,

i'm going to do the ypbind on server now, will let you know shortly

louis

crimsonline

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 04:07:11 PM »
ok on my sme server, when i do a ypbind -debug -broadcast I get;

ypbind-mt already running (pid2752)

so i stoped ypbind with ./ypbind stop and ran it again

add_server() domain: test broadcast slot:0
[welcome to ypbind-mt, version 1.10]

Answer for domain 'test' from server 'server.test.com'
Pining all active server .....

I did not get the line "leave do_broadcast()...."

Is this good or bad?

Damian

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 04:24:38 PM »
That's OK.

The line "Answer for domain 'test' from server 'server.test.com'" shows that the NIS server is responding to broadcasts. Excellent.

So, on the server do the following commands return something useful ?

ypwhich
ypcat passwd

If so, try restarting ypbind on the client again and trying these commands there.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 05:19:34 PM »
on SME;
ypwhich
server.test.com
ypcat passwd
louis!!5000:5000......

on Suse;
ypwhich
cant ypbind: Reason: Domain not bound no such map passwd by name

ypcat passwd
Reason: cant bind to server wich serves this domain

hmmmm......

Offline Mjohnson

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 05:28:04 PM »
At the risk of sounding really dumb, because frankly I am no expert, I was having the same problems last evening.  I noted in Jespers HowTo that he recommended naming the NIS Domain something different than the DNS Domain.  I renamed my NIS domain "johnson" and had no luck in forging the NIS connection.

I then, on a whim, renamed it "johnson.com" and the ypbind and serve connection came to life.

Again, I have no idea if this even makes sense from a technical standpoint, or if it was merely an empirical coincidence.

...and Thank You very much Damian...  your assistance has been excellent!!

Damian

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 06:46:16 PM »
Hi Mr Johnson,

You're right, technically that shouldn't work if your server config is set the way you thought is should be. Type "domainname" on your SME server to see what NIS domain it should be the master for. Happy you've got it going though  :-)

Louis,

Your NIS master is allowing the local ypbinding so you're sorted on the server side.

On the SuSE machine:

grep YPBIND /etc/sysconfig/ypbind

Post your answers: my answers are shown:
YPBIND_OPTIONS=""
YPBIND_LOCAL_ONLY="no"
YPBIND_BROADCAST="no"
YPBIND_BROKEN_SERVER="no"

cat /etc/defaultdomain
something

more /etc/yp.conf
ypserver 192.168.100.40
domain something

ps ax | grep portmap | grep -v grep
 2909 ?        Ss     0:00 /sbin/portmap

Checks that portmap is running on the client too.

When successfully bound you should be able to check this ...

find /var/yp -exec ls -ld {} \;
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 104 May 26  2004 /var/yp
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 185 Apr  6  2004 /var/yp/nicknames
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 112 Jan  7 17:43 /var/yp/binding
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 14 Jan  7 17:43 /var/yp/binding/something.1
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 14 Jan  7 17:43 /var/yp/binding/something.2

This shows that binding files have been created correctly for NIS v1 & v2.

I assume that "ypbind -broadcast" on the client still doesn't work ? Post your answers!

Damian

whistleruk

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 07:19:22 PM »
Got this Setup perfect using SME 6
Clients using Suse 9
At the Suse logon I see all user accounts listed but when trying to logon I'm getting the message "Xsesson disabled for user [userid]"
This is the closes and goes back to the logon screen, so this is either a client problem or the user data being pulled from the SME server is restricting the logon, not sure how I'm gona fix this one..... any ideas?

Damian

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »
Hi Whistler(UK)

The error is because Xsession doesn't allow X-window logins when the shell provided by the passwd entry for that user is not a recognised one. In SuSE's /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession it says:

#
# Disable graphical login if normal login is disabled
#
login=false
while read sh ; do
    if test "$sh" = "$SHELL" ; then
        login=true
        break
    fi
done < /etc/shells

If you ypcat the passwd file and grep for the user you're logging in as it'll probably give the shell as /bin/false.

To fix that, on SME login as root, change user shell in /etc/passwd from /bin/false to /bin/bash for that (or those) users and save it out:

cd /var/yp
make

This gets past the "Xsession disabled" error but KDE's DCOP will complain that it can't edit/save the required session info into the user's .kde dir. This because it's using the NIS passwd info to find the user's homedir and that path doesn't make sense (yet) on the  client.

What we need here is NFS. Probably the automounter too but because SME doesn't lay out it's user homedir like other unices (/home/username) it'll take a little tweaking.

I'd hold off rolling any of this out until your test environments work. ;-)

Damian

whistleruk

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 08:08:27 PM »
Quote from: "Damian"
Hi Whistler(UK)

The error is because Xsession doesn't allow X-window logins when the shell provided by the passwd entry for that user is not a recognised one. In SuSE's /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession it says:

#
# Disable graphical login if normal login is disabled
#
login=false
while read sh ; do
    if test "$sh" = "$SHELL" ; then
        login=true
        break
    fi
done < /etc/shells

If you ypcat the passwd file and grep for the user you're logging in as it'll probably give the shell as /bin/false.

To fix that, on SME login as root, change user shell in /etc/passwd from /bin/false to /bin/bash for that (or those) users and save it out:

cd /var/yp
make

This gets past the "Xsession disabled" error but KDE's DCOP will complain that it can't edit/save the required session info into the user's .kde dir. This because it's using the NIS passwd info to find the user's homedir and that path doesn't make sense (yet) on the  client.

What we need here is NFS. Probably the automounter too but because SME doesn't lay out it's user homedir like other unices (/home/username) it'll take a little tweaking.

I'd hold off rolling any of this out until your test environments work. ;-)

Damian

Cheers for that! Think alot of testing is needed here lol.... but be great if we could get something sorted for people who want to implement a full linux environment. :)

Offline versa

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 09:06:13 PM »
Hi Guys just to give my .02c,I have been using SME for about 6 months now and have a mix of Xandros linux and XP on workstations, it works like a treat. I did try SuSe and Fedora but I had a problem with when I loged in I could not get acess to my user/home i-bay. I had some sucess with using smb4k but I am no linux whiz so I stuck with Xandros as it worked out of the box for me and has all I need as a linux desktop.

Damian

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 10:05:56 PM »
Hi Versa, Pleased it's working for you  :-D

Some successes ....NIS account logins using the automounter and user homedirs from SME ...... here we go:

On SME:

Make sure you have nfs-utils-0.3.3-5 installed (get it  from ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ or a mirror)

After installing add the following to /etc/exports:

/home/e-smith/files/users       192.168.100.117(rw) 192.168.100.118(rw)

(name your clients or use a wildcard)

chkconfig nfs on
/etc/init.d/nfs start

create /var/yp/push and fill with:
grep "/home/e-smith/files/users" /etc/passwd | awk -F: ' {print $1":"$2":"$3":"$4":"$5":\/home\/"$1":\/bin\/bash"}' > /etc/passwd.dist
make

chmod 755 /var/yp/push

Edit /var/yp/Makefile and change the line which says:
PASSWD      = $(YPPWDDIR)/passwd
to
PASSWD      = $(YPPWDDIR)/passwd.dist

When you run /var/yp/push only the user entries from /etc/passwd are crunched into an alternative passwd file with corrected homedir paths for the client automounters to use. Also we don't want to distribute SME's root password to everyone do we ?

Run /var/yp/push

On SuSE:

Make the following the only entries in /etc/auto.master
/home           auto.home

Create /etc/auto.home and add the following
*  -fstype=nfs,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid 192.168.100.40:/home/e-smith/files/users/&/home

Replacing the IP address for your SME's address (as usual)

Go into yast and in the "NIS Client" section enable the automounter

Restart ypbind (rcypbind restart).

I had some trouble with running in and out of NIS bind status and found it was down to nscd caching the previous status settings. Probably best to turn this off until it's all working (rcnscd stop)

OK, try and "su - sme-user" from the commandline. If it works, log out of KDE and try KDE with that user. If things aren't working you'll find your environment screwed so just stop the automounter and ypbind to recover (rcautofs stop:rcypbind stop)

I may have missed something in this list as I wrote it after the event. Comments Please!

Damian

Damian

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 10:32:48 PM »
For anyone quick off the mark reading the previous post, read it again because I added some NFS stuff at the top  :lol:
Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2005, 10:00:32 AM »
hi damian,
I have reinstalled my SME and Suse this moring to give myself hope !! enyway
On the SuSE machine:

grep YPBIND /etc/sysconfig/ypbind
YPBIND_OPTIONS=""
YPBIND_LOCAL_ONLY="no"
YPBIND_BROADCAST="no"
YPBIND_BROKEN_SERVER="no"

cat /etc/defaultdomain
test.com

more /etc/yp.conf
ypserver 192.168.2.100
domain test.com brpadcast

ps ax | grep portmap | grep -v grep
7623 ? Ss 0:00 /sbin/portmap

Checked portmap is running on the client.

I got:
find /var/yp -exec ls -ld {} \;
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 104 May 26 2004 /var/yp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 185 Apr 6 2004 /var/yp/nicknames
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 112 Jan 7 17:43 /var/yp/binding

but not:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14 Jan 7 17:43 /var/yp/binding/something.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14 Jan 7 17:43 /var/yp/binding/something.2

louis

Damian

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2005, 10:13:47 AM »
Hi Louis,

That all looks fine. On SME run:

domainname

grep portmap /etc/hosts.allow

grep nfs /etc/hosts.allow

service ypserv status

And post the results.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2005, 02:45:04 PM »
On SME run:

domainname
test.com

grep portmap /etc/hosts.allow
portmap: 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0

grep nfs /etc/hosts.allow

service ypserv status
ypserv (pid 2503) is running ...

I dont think i installed nfs yet.

Louis

Damian

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2005, 04:40:48 PM »
Louis,

That also looks fine. Hhhmmmm. You wouldn't be running SuSEFirewall or SuSEFirewall2 would you ?

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2005, 07:00:29 AM »
damian,
yes i am. i did open the firewall port in the YAST NIS expert tab

Louis

Damian

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2005, 11:07:20 AM »
Louis,

Is it possible to stop the firewall for a short period while you try to ypbind ? Also, is SME running in server only or gateway ?

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2005, 07:08:52 PM »
firewall stoped, i'm running my test server in server only

Damian

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2005, 07:18:42 PM »
OK, now that the firewall's stopped, can the client ypbind ?

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2005, 07:14:37 PM »
Damian,

I finally got everything up and running, thank you very very much for all your help and patience. I’m currently stuck on the x-windows error and see that I must change /bin/false to /bin/bash in /etc/passwd but I’m not sure where to change it

This is my passwd file on my test SME server:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin
adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin
lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin
mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/sbin/nologin
news:x:9:13:news:/var/spool/news:
uucp:x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucp:/sbin/nologin
operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin
games:x:12:100:games:/usr/games:/sbin/nologin
gopher:x:13:30:gopher:/var/gopher:/sbin/nologin
ftp:x:14:50:FTP User:/var/ftp:/sbin/nologin
mysql:x:27:27:MySQL Server:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/bash
dns:x:53:53:DNS:/home/dns:/bin/false
ldap:x:55:55:LDAP User:/var/lib/ldap:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin
www:x:100:101:e-smith web server:/home/e-smith:/bin/false
admin:x:101:101:e-smith administrator:/home/e-smith:/sbin/e-smith/console
public:x:102:103:e-smith guest:/home/e-smith:/bin/false
alias:x:400:400::/var/qmail/alias:/bin/false
qmaild:x:401:400::/var/qmail:/bin/false
qmaill:x:402:400::/var/qmail:/bin/false
qmailp:x:403:400::/var/qmail:/bin/false
qmailq:x:404:401::/var/qmail:/bin/false
qmailr:x:405:401::/var/qmail:/bin/false
qmails:x:406:401::/var/qmail:/bin/false
qmailscan:x:407:407::/var/spool/qmailscan:/bin/false
ntp:x:38:38::/etc/ntp:/sbin/nologin
vcsa:x:69:69:virtual console memory owner:/dev:/sbin/nologin
squid:x:23:23::/var/spool/squid:/dev/null
apache:x:48:48:Apache:/var/www:/bin/false  
rpm:x:37:37::/var/lib/rpm:/bin/bash
sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty/sshd:/sbin/nologin
pcap:x:77:77::/var/arpwatch:/sbin/nologin
cvmlog:x:1003:1003:cvm output log user:/var/log/imap:/bin/false
dnscache:x:410:410:DNScache user:/var/service/dnscache:/bin/false

regards,
louis

Damian

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2005, 08:35:26 PM »
Hi Louis,

Good to get this far eh ?

From your SME passwd listing I see no user accounts created so the account you're logging in to the workstation with doesn't exist on the SME server (and therefore not distributed to your workstationvia NIS). It must be a local account on the WS.
Create a normal user account on SME, then run the NIS push script to distribute it.

If you use the same username as is currently on your workstation  you need to make sure that you're using NIS before files in /etc/nsswitch.conf - oterwise the NIS user:passwd information is never matched due to picking up an acccount with the same name in local WS /etc/passwd file.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2005, 09:04:15 PM »
Damian,

Don’t you ever sleep !! :-D
I did create 2 users on my sme box :
“louis” and “karen” I just don’t know where to go and fix the xsessions error

Louis

crimsonline

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2005, 09:10:01 PM »
my passwd file:
rpm:x:37:37::/var/lib/rpm:/bin/bash
sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty/sshd:/sbin/nologin
pcap:x:77:77::/var/arpwatch:/sbin/nologin
cvmlog:x:1003:1003:cvm output log user:/var/log/imap:/bin/false
dnscache:x:410:410:DNScache user:/var/service/dnscache:/bin/false
dnslog:x:411:411:DNScache log user:/var/service/dnscache/log:/bin/false
stunnel:x:451:451:chrooted stunnel user user:/var/log/imap/ssl:/bin/false
imaplog:x:1001:1001:imap output log user:/var/log/imap:/bin/false
smelog:x:1002:1002:smelog log user:/var/log/smelog:/bin/false
smelastsys:x:2999:2999:sme last system user marker:/tmp:/bin/false
nutups:x:420:420:NUT UPS user:/var/lib/ups:/bin/false
louis:x:5000:5000:Louis Koen:/home/e-smith/files/users/louis:/bin/sshell
karen:x:5001:5001:Karen Koen:/home/e-smith/files/users/karen:/bin/sshell
account-user:x:5002:5002:Account Users:/home/e-smith:/bin/false
private:x:5003:5003:Private:/home/e-smith:/bin/false
accounts:x:5004:5004:Accounts:/home/e-smith/files/ibays/accounts/files:/bin/false
privatedrive:x:5005:5005:Private Drive:/home/e-smith/files/ibays/privatedrive/files:/bin/false
rpc:x:32:32:Portmapper RPC user:/:/sbin/nologin
server$:x:5006:5006:Hostname account for server$:/noexistingpath:/bin/false
rpcuser:x:29:29:RPC Service User:/var/lib/nfs:/sbin/nologin
nfsnobody:x:65534:65534:Anonymous NFS User:/var/lib/nfs:/sbin/nologin

Damian

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2005, 10:32:34 PM »
Nah - sleep is for wimps  ;-)

I missed the two users though ... (must be getting tired)

Edit SME's /etc/passwd and change:
louis:x:5000:5000:Louis Koen:/home/e-smith/files/users/louis:/bin/sshell
karen:x:5001:5001:Karen Koen:/home/e-smith/files/users/karen:/bin/sshell

to be:
louis:x:5000:5000:Louis Koen:/home/e-smith/files/users/louis:/bin/bash
karen:x:5001:5001:Karen Koen:/home/e-smith/files/users/karen:/bin/bash

Are the user IDs (5000 & 5001) the same on the workstation ? They need to be or you'll have access issues.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2005, 08:25:56 AM »
Damian,

changed the passwd file on sme but when i do an ypcat passwd on workstation it still gives me the /bin/sshell

Louis

Damian

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2005, 09:21:36 AM »
Louis,

Are you using the /var/yp/push  script I described in the posting of 07 Jan 2005 21:05 ?

That script substitutes the corrected values for the shell for NIS accounts only.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2005, 02:42:40 PM »
damian,
i did, i left out the 'make' at the end as it gave me an error when i ran it.

ps: it changed in the passwd.dist file but if i do a ypcat passwd sme or suse it still shows the the old /bin/sshell

Damian

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2005, 03:00:29 PM »
Louis,

The "make" needs to be in there. That's what pushes the changes out. The lines wrap in this forum. It should be just two lines. Line 1 is:

grep "/home/e-smith/files/users" /etc/passwd | awk -F: ' {print $1":"$2":"$3":"$4":"$5":\/home\/"$1":\/bin\/bash"}' > /etc/passwd.dist

and line 2 is:

make

Try it with just these two lines in it.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2005, 03:08:35 PM »
i get

[root@server root]# /var/yp/push  
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Damian

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2005, 03:49:50 PM »
Louis,

make looks for the Makefile in the current directory so cd to /var/yp before running make.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2005, 03:56:27 PM »
did not know that! :oops:
it is working !!!!
do i have to do the push every time i add an user?
i also need to get nfs working to sort out the dcop error right?

Damian

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2005, 04:34:12 PM »
Yes, every time you add a user. It takes no time at all to push - place I used to work had 2500 NIS accounts and 80 NIS groups and used to take 20-30 seconds to compile. Then add the 14 NIS Slave servers to notify and pass on the updated NIS maps wen requested. Worked well though.

NFS is needed to get rid of the DCOP issue (and actually to have the user homedir automatically mounted on whichever workstation they log in to).

Sense of achievement yet ?

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2005, 05:22:52 PM »
Damian,

I’ve got a deadline of tomorrow to get everything up and running.
So I want to get the nfs sorted asap.

Sme:
Installed nfs

Created /etc/exports
If I want to use the wildcard is it:
/home/e-smith/files/users 192.168.2.0 (rw) ?
changed the passwd.dist

Suse:
Created auto.home
Selected automounter
Restarted ypbind
Stoped rcnscd

I can su “louis”<- user

But I still get the “dcopserver” error

Damian

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2005, 06:13:37 PM »
Louis,

Assuming your network mask is 255.255.255.0 then your SME /etc/exports with wildcards can look like:

/home/e-smith/files/ibays       192.168.2.0/24(rw)

Run "/etc/init.d/nfs restart" to activate it.

Then on SUSE, run "ypcat passwd | grep louis" and look at the home directory field (fields are separated by : and you're looking at field 6). Should be "/home/louis".

Then make sure autofs is running on SUSE (rcautofs restart) and try "cd /home/louis". Should complete without errors.

If all this is OK try "su - louis" which switches user to louis and takes all environment settings - including changing directory to the user's homedir.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2005, 06:30:53 PM »
damian,
when i do the rcautofs restart on suse i get
Shutting down service automount              done
Starting service automounter ("files nis" does not provide any mounts      skipped
 :idea:

Damian

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2005, 07:07:46 PM »
Louis,

On SUSE, do you get this ....

# ypcat auto.home
192.168.2.X:/home/e-smith/files/users/&/home

where X is the ip of your NIS server.?

If not, on SME create the following inside /etc/auto.home:
*               192.168.2.X:/home/e-smith/files/users/&/home

where X is the ip of your NIS server.

Check that you're pushing that map too in /var/yp/Makefile, in the section "all" you should have:

# If you don't want some of these maps built, feel free to comment
# them out from this list.

all:  passwd group shadow auto.master auto.home \
#all:  passwd group hosts rpc services netid protocols mail \
        # netgrp shadow publickey networks ethers bootparams printcap \
        # amd.home auto.master auto.home auto.local passwd.adjunct \
        # timezone locale netmasks

Then run "push" on SME and "rcautofs restart" on SUSE.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2005, 08:06:06 PM »
when i do the push on sme i get:
[root@server yp]# ./push  
gmake[1]: Entering directory /var/yp/crimson'
Updating passwd.byname...
Updating passwd.byuid...
Updating group.byname...
Updating group.bygid...
Updating shadow.byname... Ignored -> merged with passwd
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target /etc/auto.master', needed by auto.master'.  Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory /var/yp/crimson'
make: *** [target] Error 2

Damian

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2005, 08:56:11 PM »
Louis,

Do you have the following definition lines in your /var/yp/Makefile :

AUTO_HOME   = $(YPSRCDIR)/auto.home
AUTO_MASTER = $(YPSRCDIR)/auto.master

and in /etc/auto.master:

/home           auto.home

Sorry we're doing this piecemeal.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2005, 09:01:10 PM »
yes i do

Damian

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2005, 09:37:49 PM »
Can you post lines 58-114 and 409-422 of /var/yp/Makefile.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2005, 09:48:51 PM »
YPSRCDIR = /etc
YPPWDDIR = /etc
YPBINDIR = /usr/lib/yp
MAKE = /usr/bin/gmake
UMASK = umask 066

#
# These are the source directories for the NIS files; normally
# that is /etc but you may want to move the source for the password
# and group files to (for example) /var/yp/ypfiles. The directory
# for passwd, group and shadow is defined by YPPWDDIR, the rest is
# taken from YPSRCDIR.
#
YPSRCDIR = /etc
YPPWDDIR = /etc
YPBINDIR = /usr/lib/yp
YPSBINDIR = /usr/sbin
YPDIR = /var/yp
YPMAPDIR = $(YPDIR)/$(DOMAIN)

# These are the files from which the NIS databases are built. You may edit
# these to taste in the event that you wish to keep your NIS source files
# seperate from your NIS server's actual configuration files.
#
GROUP       = $(YPPWDDIR)/group
PASSWD      = $(YPPWDDIR)/passwd.dist
SHADOW      = $(YPPWDDIR)/shadow
GSHADOW     = $(YPPWDDIR)/gshadow
ADJUNCT     = $(YPPWDDIR)/passwd.adjunct
#ALIASES     = $(YPSRCDIR)/aliases  # aliases could be in /etc or /etc/mail
ALIASES     = /etc/aliases
ETHERS      = $(YPSRCDIR)/ethers     # ethernet addresses (for rarpd)
BOOTPARAMS  = $(YPSRCDIR)/bootparams # for booting Sun boxes (bootparamd)
HOSTS       = $(YPSRCDIR)/hosts
NETWORKS    = $(YPSRCDIR)/networks
PRINTCAP    = $(YPSRCDIR)/printcap
PROTOCOLS   = $(YPSRCDIR)/protocols
PUBLICKEYS  = $(YPSRCDIR)/publickey
RPC         = $(YPSRCDIR)/rpc
SERVICES    = $(YPSRCDIR)/services
NETGROUP    = $(YPSRCDIR)/netgroup
NETID       = $(YPSRCDIR)/netid
AMD_HOME    = $(YPSRCDIR)/amd.home
AUTO_MASTER = $(YPSRCDIR)/auto.master
AUTO_HOME   = $(YPSRCDIR)/auto.home
AUTO_LOCAL  = $(YPSRCDIR)/auto.local
TIMEZONE    = $(YPSRCDIR)/timezone
LOCALE      = $(YPSRCDIR)/locale
NETMASKS    = $(YPSRCDIR)/netmasks

YPSERVERS = $(YPDIR)/ypservers  # List of all NIS servers for a domain

target: Makefile
        @test ! -d $(LOCALDOMAIN) && mkdir $(LOCALDOMAIN) ; \
        cd $(LOCALDOMAIN)  ; \
        $(NOPUSH) || $(MAKE) -f ../Makefile ypservers; \
        $(MAKE) -f ../Makefile all

all:  passwd group shadow auto.master auto.home \

crimsonline

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2005, 09:59:20 PM »
i dont have a file called /etc/auto.master on sme.
do i need to create one?

crimsonline

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2005, 10:01:35 PM »
sorry ...i dont have auto.master in /etc/
just had an tripple espresso :pint:

Damian

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2005, 10:06:57 PM »
Yes you need one. It should contain:

/home auto.home

Make sure that its a TAB between /home and auto.home - not a space.

Then run push

Just had a large Donner Kebab with extra chilli sauce (ouch!)

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2005, 10:11:19 PM »
done.

i get;
[root@server yp]# ./push
gmake[1]: Entering directory /var/yp/crimson'
Updating passwd.byname...
Updating passwd.byuid...
Updating shadow.byname... Ignored -> merged with passwd
gmake[1]: Leaving directory /var/yp/crimson'

Damian

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2005, 10:28:22 PM »
OK,

Now retry:

On SUSE, do you get this ....

# ypcat auto.home
192.168.2.X:/home/e-smith/files/users/&/home

where X is the ip of your NIS server.?

If so, on SUSE try "su - louis"

If successful does "df -k ." show that you're on the NFS mount of SME ?

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2005, 10:37:53 PM »
On SUSE:
# ypcat auto.home
192.168.2.100:/home/e-smith/files/users/&/home

#su - louis
su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/louis: no such file or directory

Louis

Damian

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2005, 10:41:53 PM »
Louis,

rcautofs restart

On SUSE

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2005, 10:56:32 PM »
Damian,
suse:

#rcautofs restart
no problem, but

#su - louis
su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/louis: no such file or directory

I can "su louis" but not "su - louis"

if we get this right, what is still left? how would i mount "map" a drive so samba in suse?

Louis

Damian

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2005, 10:59:47 PM »
Louis,

Can you post the last (relevant) error lines from SME's /var/log/messages. That should tell us what's causing the last problem.

You probably won't need samba if this is going. If you want to mount the ibays you could use this method or use smbmount by putting lines in SUSE's /etc/fstab file to mount the ibays.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2005, 11:08:41 PM »
Jan 29 01:12:06 server syslogd 1.4.1: restart.
Jan 29 01:12:06 server e-smith[2285]: S65reload-syslogd=action|Event|logrotate|Action|S65reload-syslogd|Start|1106953925 452672|End|1106953926 112185|Elapsed|0.659513
Jan 29 01:12:06 server e-smith[2285]: Running event handler: /etc/e-smith/events/logrotate/S65restart-httpd-graceful
Jan 29 01:12:07 server httpd-e-smith: httpd -USR1 succeeded
Jan 29 01:12:12 server e-smith[2285]: Gracefully reloading httpd: [   OK   ]^M
Jan 29 01:12:12 server e-smith[2285]: S65restart-httpd-graceful=action|Event|logrotate|Action|S65restart-httpd-graceful|Start|1106953926 112648|End|1106953932 355375|Elapsed|6.242727
Jan 29 01:12:12 server e-smith[2285]: Running event handler: /etc/e-smith/events/logrotate/S70reload-httpd-admin
Jan 29 01:12:13 server httpd-admin: httpd-admin -USR1 succeeded
Jan 29 01:12:13 server e-smith[2285]: Gracefully reloading e-smith httpd-admin: [   OK   ]^M
Jan 29 01:12:13 server e-smith[2285]: S70reload-httpd-admin=action|Event|logrotate|Action|S70reload-httpd-admin|Start|1106953932 355896|End|1106953933 320086|Elapsed|0.96419
Jan 29 01:12:13 server e-smith[2285]: Running event handler: /etc/e-smith/events/logrotate/S75purge-old-logs
Jan 29 01:12:13 server e-smith[2285]: S75purge-old-logs=action|Event|logrotate|Action|S75purge-old-logs|Start|1106953933 320592|End|1106953933 670642|Elapsed|0.35005
Jan 29 01:17:43 server sshd[2365]: Accepted password for root from 192.168.2.111 port 1083 ssh2
Jan 29 01:17:43 server sshd(pam_unix)[2367]: session opened for user root by root(uid=0)
Jan 29 01:21:31 server rpc.mountd: refused mount request from 192.168.2.11 for /home/e-smith/files/users/louis/home (/): no export entry
Jan 29 01:22:09 server last message repeated 4 times
Jan 29 01:37:10 server last message repeated 2 times
Jan 29 01:52:22 server last message repeated 29 times
Jan 29 01:52:43 server last message repeated 21 times
Jan 29 01:54:34 server rpc.mountd: export request from 192.168.2.11
Jan 29 01:54:45 server rpc.mountd: refused mount request from 192.168.2.11 for /home/e-smith/files/users/New (/): no export entry
Jan 29 01:54:59 server rpc.mountd: refused mount request from 192.168.2.11 for /home/e-smith/files/users (/): no export entry
Jan 29 01:55:34 server rpc.mountd: refused mount request from 192.168.2.11 for /home/e-smith/files/users/louis/home (/): no export entry
Jan 29 02:07:35 server sshd[2520]: Accepted password for root from 192.168.2.111 port 1084 ssh2
Jan 29 02:07:35 server sshd(pam_unix)[2522]: session opened for user root by root(uid=0)
Jan 29 02:08:01 server sshd[2520]: subsystem request for sftp
Jan 29 02:08:01 server sshd(pam_unix)[2567]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)

Damian

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2005, 11:32:47 PM »
OK,

It seems you aren't exporting the required directories from SME. Check the SME file /etc/exports contains:

Then on SME run

/etc/init.d/nfs restart

and still on SME run and post the output of:

exportfs

If it shows something like:

/home/e-smith/files/users
                192.168.2.0/24

Then you're ready to try "su - louis" on SUSE again.

Damian

Damian

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2005, 11:44:22 PM »
Oops :idea:

I mean, /etc/exports on SME contains:

/home/e-smith/files/users 192.168.2.0/24(rw)

My fault - I don't export users on this SME server - just ibays.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2005, 11:56:09 PM »
Damian,
i did not have
but i had
/home/e-smith/files/users      192.168.2.0/24(rw)
 i replaced users with ibays (right?)

Then on SME run
/etc/init.d/nfs restart
did that!

#exportfs
/home/e-smith/files/ibays
                192.168.2.0/24

Then you're ready to try "su - louis" on SUSE again.
i still get
su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/louis: No such file or directory

Louis

crimsonline

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2005, 12:05:38 AM »
:-D
ok changed it back to users
did the nfs restart
exportfs
192.168.2.0/24
suse....
rcautofs restart

ypcat auto.home
192.168.2.100:/home/e-smith/files/users/&/home

su - louis
password:
su: warning: cannot ...... :hammer:

Damian

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2005, 12:09:40 AM »
Louis,

Zip over to the online help / chat

We'll finish it there (or skype if you have it)

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2005, 09:57:24 AM »
damian,
I'm busy making a howto but once again i'm stuck at the push command:
[root@fileserver yp]# /var/yp/push
gmake[1]: Entering directory /var/yp/platinum'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target /etc/shadow.dist', needed by passwd.byname'.  Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory /var/yp/platinum'

Damian

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2005, 11:02:52 AM »
Did you remember to cd to the directory first ?

cd /var/yp; ./push

Damian

Damian

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2005, 11:05:53 AM »
Or better still, change the second line of /var/yp/push to be:

cd /var/yp;make

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2005, 11:17:14 AM »
yes i did  :-)

i copied the Makefile, push and exports form my working server and it sorted out the push problem
but.. now i did an new suse installation it shows my users but wont log in and is very slow permision problems i think

crimsonline

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2005, 11:23:29 AM »
my log file:
Jan 30 14:01:57 fileserver dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:0d:61:18:de:40 via eth0
Jan 30 14:01:58 fileserver dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.0.60 to 00:0d:61:18:de:40 via eth0
Jan 30 14:01:58 fileserver dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.0.60 from 00:0d:61:18:de:40 via eth0
Jan 30 14:01:58 fileserver dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.0.60 to 00:0d:61:18:de:40 via eth0
Jan 30 14:16:49 fileserver rpc.mountd: refused mount request from 192.168.0.60 for /home/e-smith/files/user/louis/home (/): no export entry

when i do an exportfs
192.160.0.0/24

my server ip is 192.168.0.101

Damian

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2005, 12:03:39 PM »
Check your /etc/auto.home
It should say users and not user.
Then re-push
If not there, then there's a user/users mismatch somewhere.

Damian

crimsonline

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2005, 12:15:01 PM »
damian,
sorry to ask again but can we chat online?

Damian

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2005, 12:16:37 PM »
Here's a cool extra. Don't know if this is the right way to do it (probably need to template it) but .....

To have the user password changes automatically available via NIS whenever the're changed on SME (by admin password reset or by users changing it themselves in the user panel contrib):

On SME:

ln -s /var/yp/push /etc/e-smith/events/password-modify/S90push

Damian

dave_d

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2005, 03:07:56 PM »
Hello NIS experts!

I've read the foregoing with great interest and thought I'd have a go myself.

However, I get virtually nowhere! I've followed Knuddies HowTo exactly (two or three times now!) and when I get to ....

# /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m    ... all I get is the following:

The current list of NIS servers looks like this:

lto-server.symans.cawood

Is this correct?  [y/n: y]  y
We need a few minutes to build the databases...
Building /var/yp/symans.cawood/ypservers...
Running /var/yp/Makefile...
gmake[1]: Entering directory /var/yp/symans.cawood'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target all'.  Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory /var/yp/symans.cawood'
Error running Makefile.
Please try it by hand.

Can some kind soul out there tell me what's going on here?

I think that the relevant bit of the Makefile is:

#all:  passwd group hosts rpc services netid protocols mail \
all:  passwd group hosts shadow
        # netgrp shadow publickey networks ethers bootparams printcap \
        # amd.home auto.master auto.home auto.local passwd.adjunct \
        # timezone locale netmasks

BTW SME 6.0.1-01 with no modifications (except this one!)

Regards,

Dave

Damian

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2005, 07:14:03 AM »
Hi Dave,
I haven't looked at knuddi's howto but if you're following that I will and see if I can help.
Meanwhile can you post the contents of your /etc/yp.conf and /var/yp/Makefile.
Damian

Damian

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »
Hi Dave,
I find NIS domains which include "." confusing and unnecessary. If you want to use "." then you'll confuse NIS with DNS and they aren't the same thing.
That said it's probably not your issue here. I can't check Knuddi's howto as it isn't online (for the last 3 days). So I'd ask you to email the yp.conf and your Makefile to me (see http://wiki.contribs.org/userinfo.php?uid=1826).
Damian