Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

LSI Megaraid SCSI cards

patrick

LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« on: December 27, 2004, 04:47:07 PM »
Hello contribians.

I have uploaded a driver disk and a quick howto to my contribs directory:

http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/ptehvand/contribs/LSIMegaraiddriver/

This driver disk is to allow users of LSI Megaraid SCSI cards to install SMEServer where it would usually fail.

This works with all redhat 7.3 based sme versions.

I remember reading in the forums that some people were having issues with this type of card.

I have used the driver to install on a number of NEC, Dell and whitebox servers that have this brand of SCSI card.

Have fun.

Patrick (elSpike)

Offline edgetek

• +0/-0
Thank you
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 06:24:41 PM »
Thanks for this information.  It should be very helpful for others in the future.  I kept wondering how SME could cope with Mass Storage controler issues.  
This is similar to the "F6" to add a SCSI controller during a microsoft install.

Thanks again

tbcomputing

LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »
Hi

Could you please let me know how to create this driver for the Centos based Alpha 7.

My Netserver LX Pro is otherwise usable apart from the dreaded Netraid 3si raid card

TIA

Tony

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:38:49 PM »
Quote from: "tbcomputing"

Could you please let me know how to create this driver for the Centos based Alpha 7.

If 7.0alpha doesn't work on your hardware, please report via the bug tracker at http://smeserver.sourceforge.net/. I can't promise to fix it, but if you report it there someone will at least investigate the problem.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 05:32:50 PM »
Patrick,

Do you have a howto of some sort that could guide me trough the process of compiling my own driver?!

I thought you was my gift from heaven (you still are  ;-) ) cause i was just trying to install SME6.0.1 on to a Dell PowerEdge 2800 and found out the DELL Perc 4e/Di LSI Megaraid was not not supported.... But tried your drivers and that didn't work as well: seems i need the Megaraid2 drivers.

Any chance on a howto, or do you know an existing one?! I tried to follow Pierluigi Miranda's Howto: (http://no.longer.valid/phpwiki/index.php/Compaq%20Proliant%20DL%20380%20G4%20Installation)
but that only works for compiling a newer version of a driver that is allready supported so i got stuck.... to much of a newbie.

Thanx.
 Jester

Offline edgetek

• +0/-0
PERC4e/Si ROMB and PERC4-DC
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 03:55:04 AM »
I have used the technique outlined by Patrick, this worked perfectly with the PERC4-DC that I purchased as a test device.  
However, I now have a PE1850 with a ROMB and I cannot get it ID the mass storage device.  
I have used the disks that come with the Server, and it recognizes the driver, but will then ask for the driver disk, and will not be able to read the disk.  It is like it mounts the floppy, then cannot go any further to read the information.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 08:45:03 AM »
@edgetek: I'm not at my own station today, but i'll try to post drivers on friday i compiled for my PERC4e/Di wich will probably work with your 4e/Si as well.

Jester.

Offline edgetek

• +0/-0
DKMS Driver maker
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »
I am trying to create the disk and the build seems to work fine, it is the Diskmaker that I am having issues with.  When I type in:
dkms mkdriverdisk -d redhat -m megaraid2 -v v2.10.10.1 -k 2.4.20-18.7
I get an error regarding module megaraid2.o

Any clues?

Thanks

Offline edgetek

• +0/-0
DKMS Disk made
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
Ok,

Now the disk is made (called megaraid2-v2.10.7-kernel2.4.20-18.7-dd.img) it loads with the accept dd command, however the install still cannot see the disk the RAID array to install SME.

I can post the img to server if anyone wants to see it.

thanks all

patrick

LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 02:44:53 AM »
Sorry, I fell off the planet for a couple of months.

Will take a look at all the issues here and get back to you in a day or so. I remember having issues with megaraid2 but will go back to it.

Will also try to do a howto on compling the drivers but it is largely trial and error to get it working on an older kernel.

Cheers
Patrick

Offline DanB35

• +0/-0
    • http://www.familybrown.org
LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 04:53:10 PM »
Found this thread on the CentOS forums:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=479&forum=29

There are a couple of suggestions there, don't know how well they'll work, though.

Offline edgetek

• +0/-0
PERC4e/Si ROMB
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 08:10:31 PM »
Dan, thanks for your help,  I looked in to this, however I am not dealing with a PERC2, this would be the standard MegaRAID driver.  Patrick's disk would allow the PERC2 to be loaded.  
I have gotten A PERC4 PCI card to work with his driver as well.  
My issues are with this Embedded ROMB card.  This is not being seen by the OS, even though I compiled a DUD disk with the Dell utility included with the drivers.  
This indeed needs the MegaRAID2 driver to work, but either I compiled it incorrectly, or there is some other driver that is needed for the install to see the disks.
If jester has a way of posting the img file he created, I believe that would allow server to see the array.  
As the 2850, and the 1850 servers use the same mainboard.  

Thanks guys for all of your help, believe me it is appreciated.

Offline jester

• +1/-0
Megaraid2 driver and modules disks
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 10:01:20 AM »
I've asked the contribs staff for some space to place my disk-images but i haven't got any reaction yet (if any of the contribs staff is reading this.....).

So for the time beeing if you want to give my megaraid2 disks and my howto a try mail me at: xxxnogo AT hotmail DOT com. The howto i put together AFTER i got my server installed and put into production (...i know, i know.. my bad ), so it might not be totally complete/accurate, so please mail me back any improvements.

Jester.

djohen

LSI Megaraid SCSI cards
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 09:03:01 PM »