Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PPTP VPN on SME6

ztasevski

PPTP VPN on SME6
« on: December 15, 2004, 09:23:02 AM »
Hi,

Having issues estabilishing a PPTP VPN connection as a new user to an SME 6.x box. The weird thing is that the "admin" username works like a charm on the same box. Yes...the user has vpn access enabled and the are 10 PPTP connections enabled in the server manager. Tried different setting "optional encryption" etc.. on the client (XP Pro SP2) still no go...

What it actually does it gets to the "authenticating username & password" and pops up with the window to authenticate to the win2k domain..after a while it comes up with "error 734"...

I have searched the forums high and low with not much success. Some suggest it could be upgrade of the pptp modules but there's another server exactly as the one that i am trying to connect to and it has no issues connecting as "admin or any other user.

Any ideas ?

Z

cc_skavenger

PPTP VPN on SME6
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 05:18:27 PM »
what architecture is the server that is working?  Intel or Amd?
There possibly is an issue with AMD and the pptp modules....

Marco

ztasevski

PPTP VPN on SME6
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 11:49:36 PM »
thanks for your reply Marco,

It's Intel architecture ?  

zoran

ztasevski

PPTP VPN on SME6
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 12:53:46 AM »
For anyone that's following this topic. This issue has led me to investigate even further the cause of the problem. This is what took place:

1. Installed fresh SME 6.0.1
2. Installed fetchmail
3. Ran the latest spam assasin 7 clam av script
4. Installed Yum

This is what I done to resolve the issue:

1. Removed Yum rpm's
2. Executed signal-event post-upgrade
3. Executed signal-event reboot
4. Attempted to estabislish a PPTP connection still no go
5. Attemped to connect as admin no go
6. Removed e-smith-pptpd-1.10.0-02 & pptpd-1.1.3-3es2
7. Executed signal-event post-upgrade
8. Executed signal-event reboot
9. Executed rpm -Uvh http://www.pagefault.org/download/e-smith/6.0/os/i386/pptpd-1.1.3-3es2.i386.rpm
10. Executed rpm -Uvh http://www.pagefault.org/download/e-smith/6.0/os/i386/e-smith-pptpd-1.10.0-02.noarch.rpm
11. Executed signal-event post-upgrade
12. Executed signal-event reboot
13. Attempted to estabislish a PPTP connection still no go
14. Removed all users (except admin - built in) and added user "test" and while creating the user chose "VPN Client Access Yes".
15. Reset password
16. Executed signal-event post-upgrade
17. Executed signal-event reboot
18. Attempted to estabislish a PPTP connection as user "test"  with default XP PPTP settings and it worked
19. Attempted to estabislish a PPTP connection as user "admin" with default XP PPTP settings and it worked :pint:  :pint:  :pint:

I read the forums inside out and there's a few people saying there's issues with the PPTP module in 6.x. Been using the same setup for number of clients and it has worked perfectly for all of them except one. Throughout the whole process it seemed like the SME server would not recognise the users as having PPTP access.

I hope my experience saves someone a couple of headaches !

Zoran

bernhard

PPTP VPN on SME6
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 12:21:52 AM »
Execuse me for breaking in but I to have a similar problem.

I have tried your solution but unfortunately the links above is dead.

And What do you mean with:

Executed signal-event post-upgrade
and
Executed signal-event reboot

When I try a command "signal-event post-upgrade"
or "signal-event reboot" I got an answer that there is no such command as "signal-event".

Perhaps I am just stupied but I don't understand what you mean.

And when you said that you removed "e-smith-pptpd-1.10.0-02 & pptpd-1.1.3-3es2" exactly what did you do.

And then you reinstalled the same packages (from the dead links)???

Please help!  ( I used to access my server with pptp before I upgraded from 5.6 to 6.xx and I had absolutely no problem then).

ztasevski

PPTP VPN on SME6
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 12:41:21 AM »
hi bernhard,

And What do you mean with:

Executed signal-event post-upgrade
and
Executed signal-event reboot

i meant the following commands executed:

/sbin/e-smith/signal-event post-upgrade
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event reboot

And when you said that you removed "e-smith-pptpd-1.10.0-02 & pptpd-1.1.3-3es2" exactly what did you do.

executed:

rpm -e e-smith-pptpd-1.10.0-02
rpm -e pptpd-1.1.3-3es2

rpm -Uvh http://www.pagefault.org/download/e-smith/6.0/os/i386/pptpd-1.1.3-3es2.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh http://www.pagefault.org/download/e-smith/6.0/os/i386/e-smith-pptpd-1.10.0-02.noarch.rpm

Please help! ( I used to access my server with pptp before I upgraded from 5.6 to 6.xx and I had absolutely no problem then).

i think the pptp module does not upgrade correctly or there's some package dependancies that break pptp

hope that helps !

zoran

bernhard

Thank's but...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 09:20:54 AM »
The links is still broken, there is a listing on  http://www.pagefault.org/download/e-smith/6.0/os/i386/ for the files but there is no files there.

Is there some other place to download them from?

And concerning the "upgrade", it is not an upgraded installation, it is a fresh new installation.

Actualy the same problem exist on four different installations, 1 at my home office and 3 on different locations at the company I work for, and all of them is new installations, (not upgraded ones), from the latest downloded iso-images.

So I think there is some other problem than upgrading/dependence problem.

The problem is:
I can connect to the server from my laptop without any problem and when I disconnect I can connect again frpom the same computer. If I try to connect from a different computer there is no way to do that than to wait for a couple of ours, then I can connect, but then I can not connect from the laptop. So the scenario is that I can only connect from one single computer at a time, (of cource I have different user accounts for them), and it must go at least one our between change of computers. I have set the number of PPTP users to five so it should be possible for them to connect at the same time and not at is now, I have to wait one our until I can connect with the other computer. (Strange behaviour!?)

bernhard

From Bernhard...
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 12:35:50 PM »
Ok. I have tried to remove both packages and run:

reinstalled them and run:

removed all accounts and run:

Created new accounts vith VPN-access and run:

trying to set up the vpn-tunnel, vith exactly the same results as before.

The first computer is ok, but not the second one. If i wait one our or so it is ok to connect from the other computer, (after i have terminated the other connection...

I have absolutely no idee for what reason this strange behaviour happend in version 6, I have used this software since ver 4.12 with no problem at all.

Someone HEEELP!!!!!

Offline nald

• +0/-0
    • http://www.phisl.net
PPTP VPN on SME6
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 12:29:05 PM »
I tried to read everything that has been posted.  I followed all the procedures which ztasevski had stated.  However the result is still the same.  I can't connect to the server using VPN connection.  Before i was using SME 5.6 and i immediately upgraded it into SME 6.0.1.  

Please anyone can help us on this particular problem.  
Thanks...

Nald