Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Uploading a Large File to Yahoo Briefcase

henry_031174

« on: December 01, 2004, 03:29:45 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am a new user of E-smith and my problem is this.  Im using a YAHOO BRIEFCASE on the internet. and my problem is everytime i upload a file more than 2MB to my briefcase it does not upload to the briefcase.  I only exprience this when im using SME as my gateway same with as a proxy.

GaryChu

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 08:51:01 PM »
The default mail size is 2 MB in SME. I have successfully used below link to increase the mail size ( including attachment ) to 25 MB. http://mirror.contribs.org/smeserver/contribs/dmay/mitel/howto/webmail-attachment-size-howto.html

Note: For some reason, I cannot download Charlie Brady's contrib per the link, so I skipped that RPM without any obvious problems.

Offline RedBeard

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 06:04:11 PM »
Hi all,

Gary, is the above contrib for SME’s webmail only.  It looks like it is for the webmail service included with SME.  Would this contrib affect the attachments for a web-based mail service like Yahoo?

Henry are you using Dan’s Guardian web filter by chance?

I am having a similar problem with Yahoo Mail attachments, I have not tried briefcase.  When an e-mail file attachment is greater than about 320 kb it look like it times out and does not complete the attachment.  

We are currently running DansGuardian-2.8.0.3-1av636.i386 web filter with ClamAV-0.80 and an up to date SME 6.0.1.   DG is using a transparent proxy on port 8080.

Turning off DG allows the attachment to go thru.  (The largest file I have tried is about 600 kb)  

Allowing the computer to bypass DG by IP address does NOT allow the file to be sent.

I have tried clearing squid’s cache, and it did not help.  Since the files goes thru with DG turned off it appears to be a problem with DG and not with the squid proxy.

I haven’t tried using a different web based mail system such as hotmail yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we send out information weekly using a Yahoo account.   All I can do now is turn off the filter to send the file.

Thanks

GaryChu

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 05:21:31 AM »
Red, I have the contribs and CLAM working nicely in my SME 6.0 box. And yes, I routinely forward and send mails with greater than 2 MB attachments to Yahoo, Earthlink, AOL, sbcglobal.net, hotmail accounts with no problems. I also routinely receive emails with attachments larger than 2 MB but less than 25 MB each.  Any mail larger than 25 MB, whether outgoing via SME webmail or POP/IMAP client or incoming is met with an error such as - maximum size exceeded - message.

Hope this helps.

Offline RedBeard

• +0/-0
Does not appear to be a problem with DG
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 04:45:29 PM »
Well I did a little more testing and it does not appear to be a problem with DG.  As I was testing things last night I was getting inconsistent results.  The first computer I was at is behind a cheap 4 port hub and it appears to be causing some problems.  I moved to a computer that is connected to the main switch on the network and got consistent results.

I now think that it may be a problem with squid.  I can upload mail attachments for both hotmail and yahoo as long as they are less than 1 MB in size.  It does not matter if DG is enabled, a file over 1 MB in size does not get passed from the server to the web.  I used tcpdump on the external NIC and if the file is greater than 1 mb there is no activity showing the file being sent.  If it is less than 1 MB tcpdump show the file being sent immediately.  

Looks like it is time to look at how Squid is set up.  Any other suggestion?  

Thanks for the help.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Henry. 8^)

Offline Reinhold

• +0/-0
    • http://127.0.0.1
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 06:09:19 PM »
Henry,
RedBeard,

There should be no limit in squid ... DG only has a upper check size afaik...

Anything using php should have it's limit set high to 50Mbyte with these 4 lines of code.
Copy and paste them (without the # and in order) into any putty window:

# /sbin/e-smith/config setprop php PostMaxSize 50000000
# /sbin/e-smith/config setprop php UploadMaxFilesize 50000000
# /etc/e-smith/events/actions/conf-php
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd-e-smith graceful

No harm will be done ... just adjust 50000000 if you want less or more

Now if the PC slows down, maybe even starts thrashing you may want to give also time&space:

# /sbin/e-smith/config setprop php MaxExecutionTime 1800
# /sbin/e-smith/config setprop php MemoryLimit 100M
and make it know again
# /etc/e-smith/events/actions/conf-php
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd-e-smith graceful

Regards
Reinhold

Offline RedBeard

• +0/-0
I think I got it
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 07:47:14 PM »
Ok, I think I figured it out.  

First let me make clear what is going on.  If I log onto my Yahoo web Mail account and compose a message and then try to attach a file to the Yahoo email that is greater than 1 MB the attachment does not upload to the email.

I did some additional testing, when I used a Linux box I got the following error when the web upload was attempted:
=============================================================
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://us.f536.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Attachments?

The following error was encountered:
The request or reply is too large.

If you are making a POST or PUT request, then your request body (the thing you are trying to upload) is too large. If you are making a GET request, then the reply body (what you are trying to download) is too large. These limits have been established by the Internet Service Provider who operates this cache. Please contact them directly if you feel this is an error.

Your cache administrator is admin@XYXYXY.com.

Generated Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:23:24 GMT by server.XYXYXY.com (Squid/2.4.STABLE6)
=============================================================
This error was not received when trying this on the MS Win boxes.

So a little googling and I think that we need to change the following line in the squid.conf file from the default of 1 MB to the size of the web upload needed:

request_body_max_size 1 MB  

(see http://squid.visolve.com/squid/squid24s1/tuning.htm )

Actually, I guess the change should be made in a custom template file.

I am having trouble getting remote access to this server right now so I can’t try it out now, but I am fairly sure that this is the problem at this point and wanted to get the word back to Henry as I know I was getting frustrated with this.

Hope this helps and I will update this later this evening

Thanks for all the suggestions
 :-D

Offline RedBeard

• +0/-0
IT worked
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 07:00:13 AM »
Ok I got to try it out tonight and it WORKED! :hammer: This is how I modified the Squid cache to address the problem I was having with HTTP file uploads.

As root do the following. Create directory for custom template:

# mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/squid/squid.conf

Place template fragment into temlplate directory:

# echo "request_body_max_size 20 MB" > /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/\
squid/squid.conf/85request_body_max_size

Expand (activate) Template:

# /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/squid/squid.conf

RESTART SQUID to enable new settings:

# /etc/init.d/squid restart  

I was able to attach a 9MB file to a Yahoo e-mail with no problem.

Time for a :pint:

Offline allun

• +0/-0
    • http://www.protechnz.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 07:17:50 AM »
Hey, just thought i'd post this here so it gets into search results and maybe helps someone else :-)

The fix above for the squid upload size also fixed a problem I was having with Gallery (installed from jesper knudsen's contrib).  I noticed that I could upload photos bigger than 1MB  ONLY when not using my SME proxy.....until I followed the instructions in RedBeard's post!  There are lots of instuctions on the gallery support forums about allowing files larger than 20M (the gallery defaults) and modifying php.ini and the like, but in SME 6 the default seems to be 10M anyway, so that wasn't my problem.

Anyway, I agree about the  :pint: heheh

mbachmann

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 10:25:49 AM »

wallyrp

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 05:43:11 AM »
Good Evening,

This thread was a Godsend! Thanks so much for the information. I searched using all kinds of terminology but it took quite awhile before I found this thread.

I was pointed in the right way by turning off friendly HTTP errors in IE and I go the raw error which started me down the road to a solution. My error was 500 Internal Server error which pointed me to something in the SME box.

Offline Mace

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 08:58:19 AM »
Excellent! I was about to call Ceiva and find out why their server was broken and how long it would be before they fixed it. This saved me some humiliation.

The error I would get is as soon as I would hit the upload button was "The document contains no data" or something similar.

Thanks!

Offline crzy_dmd

• +0/-0
Re: IT worked
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 07:36:24 AM »
Quote from: "RedBeard"
Ok I got to try it out tonight and it WORKED! :hammer: This is how I modified the Squid cache to address the problem I was having with HTTP file uploads.

As root do the following. Create directory for custom template:

# mkdir -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/squid/squid.conf

Place template fragment into temlplate directory:

# echo "request_body_max_size 20 MB" > /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/\
squid/squid.conf/85request_body_max_size

Expand (activate) Template:

# /sbin/e-smith/expand-template /etc/squid/squid.conf

RESTART SQUID to enable new settings:

# /etc/init.d/squid restart  

I was able to attach a 9MB file to a Yahoo e-mail with no problem.

Time for a :pint:

Thanks a lot man, it works grate for me.... :lol: