Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

TiVo Series 2 and e-smith

jpnelson40

« on: November 30, 2004, 02:47:20 AM »
I can't get my Tivo Series 2 (AT&T) to negotiate with the Tivo central servers. The TiVo sees the local network easily, does music and pictures well, but can't seem to get through e-smith. I forwarded the usual TiVo ports 2190 (TCP & UDP) and 8080-8089 TCP to the TiVo local IP address.

I also tried level 2 tech support; they were patient and knowledgable, but ended up blaming my ISP. My ISP can't see that the ports in question are open, however.

I tried going directly into my Paradyne DSL modem, using a crossover cable, but I get the same type of errors (using my ISP gateway, DNS, and fixed IP address, of course, in the TiVo.

Has anyone got the TiVo to work with e-smith (6.0.1-01)? I have the upgrades from Sverts-Knudsen installed as well (some port issues have been noted with those, I read).

Offline briank

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 03:08:52 AM »
Hi - have a look at the Tivo logs might help you pin it down. I have a Tivo 1 modified to work in New Zealand and found I had to turn off SME's squid to get it to connect to the program guide server. This, however doesn't look like your problem.
Good luck
Brian

Offline rick1908

• +0/-0
    • http://theevansfamily.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 04:08:11 AM »
I had the same problem. My research found that the problem is with the Squid proxy server on the SME box.

Seems the tranparent proxy is enable by default. I can not remember the details, however it appears there is a problem with the way Tivo makes a http request.

Anyhow, you can disable the transparent proxy by doing the following from the command prompt (as root):

/sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop squid Transparent no
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event remoteaccess-update

Hope this is of some help.

If you do a search on "Tivo and Squid" in these forms you will find some more info on this problem.

Good luck.

-Rick
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ya,
Rick :pint:

pen25

Re: TiVo Series 2 and e-smith
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 05:51:27 AM »
Quote from: "jpnelson40"
I can't get my Tivo Series 2 (AT&T) to negotiate with the Tivo central servers. The TiVo sees the local network easily, does music and pictures well, but can't seem to get through e-smith. I forwarded the usual TiVo ports 2190 (TCP & UDP) and 8080-8089 TCP to the TiVo local IP address.

I also tried level 2 tech support; they were patient and knowledgable, but ended up blaming my ISP. My ISP can't see that the ports in question are open, however.

I tried going directly into my Paradyne DSL modem, using a crossover cable, but I get the same type of errors (using my ISP gateway, DNS, and fixed IP address, of course, in the TiVo.

Has anyone got the TiVo to work with e-smith (6.0.1-01)? I have the upgrades from Sverts-Knudsen installed as well (some port issues have been noted with those, I read).

problem isnt the server its with the provider. they are blocking the ports. you need to ask the provider what ports they have open and let them know what you need the ports open for. 8080 is a proxy port and also http backup port so some isp's are blocking that port to prevent servers. dont know what the other is for. do a port scan using grc and see what ports are open. then you can use something like dyndns that would redirect the port to another open port

jpnelson40

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:55:34 AM »
Just for completeness: in SME 7.1, my Tivo works fine in the default configuration. When I enable transproxy using Dansguardian (the Dungog setup in this case) or Optenet, the old behavior recurs. So it can't be the ISP (and they denied it as well) since without the transproxy it works. I can't figure it out further. I am surprised that the Tivo folks haven't seemed to be interested (Just use the phone, it seems) to fix this. I am not aware of any other systems that are so affected.

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
when squid is involved i've never been able to get my tivo to fetch data
without complicated workarounds, until now...
see
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2374
to get the tivo to bypass squid using iptables