Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Instalation problems

Gustavo Mársico

Instalation problems
« on: January 05, 2000, 12:07:08 AM »
This question may be stupid, but... Where can I find the root password? I recently installed the e-smith for a Server Only, and I only see the e-Smith configuration program in the console. If I acced to http:/xx.xx.xx.xx/e-smith-manager address, the userid and password is ask to me.

Thanks in advance...

Gustavo Mársico

cryblood

RE: Instalation problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2000, 12:09:56 AM »
"default" is the password

cryblood

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2000, 12:13:17 AM »
Oh... and "admin" is the ID

Gustavo Mársico

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2000, 12:17:54 AM »
That password works fine over console, but I don't work over web browser based admin tool. Do you know what happend? I can change the password in the console, but I can acceed by the web.

Thanks for your help

Gustavo Mársico

Gustavo Mársico

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2000, 12:20:01 AM »
Ok, that's it!!! Thank you!!!

cryblood

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2000, 12:39:13 AM »
Is that a record for the fastest answer?

Richard

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2000, 10:58:33 PM »
I too have a problem getting into e-smith-manager and I know what the username and password is )-: It will not accept 'default' as the 'admin password. I thought it might be aproblem with my win95 workstation setup so I logged on as root on the e-smith server and attempted to load 'e-smith-manager' using lynx ... still won't accept the password .... help.

Can I regenerate the admin password ... maybe the password file is corrupt?

RF

cryblood

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2000, 01:11:36 AM »
sorry cant really help you there...  but here is a few things to check:

1. the login ID is "admin" (without the quotes) not administrator,  many of my microsnot friends have that problem at first.

2. "admin" is for the web baised manager, "root" is for logging in to the console. ("admin" is also used as the ID for the lynx browser locally)

3. be sure caps lock is OFF and watch hitting the shift key an capping the first letter, I have that problem sometimes when my fingers are doing the typing, not my brain.

4. If you have already gotten into the manager once and changed the password both "admin" and "root" account's passwords will be whatever you changed it to.

Failing that, I would probably have to say dump and reload, unless anyone else knows how to fix it.

Charlie Brady

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2000, 06:09:29 AM »
Richard wrote:

> I too have a problem getting into e-smith-manager and I know
> what the username and password is )-: It will not accept
> 'default' as the 'admin password. I thought it might be
> aproblem with my win95 workstation setup so I logged on as
> root on the e-smith server and attempted to load
> 'e-smith-manager' using lynx ... still won't accept the
> password .... help.
>
> Can I regenerate the admin password ... maybe the password
> file is corrupt?

My guess is that you have changed the password using the command line passwd utility, and not the web interface. This would make the system, samba and apache passwords get out of synch. You might be able to fix the apache password by running:

/usr/bin/htpasswd /etc/httpd/users admin

Charlie