Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Info about Dungog contribs?

Offline sgt-spam

• +0/-0
« on: September 28, 2004, 02:12:02 PM »
I've emailed their support group and searched here but can't seem to locate what I think I need...

I'm curious if anyone is using Dungog's DansGuardian contribs, and whether or not they allow reporting by username (ultimately supporting authentication).  I need to get our current tracking solution up and out of here, and would love for the SME to handle this.

Basically I'm looking for a web filtering solution that will keep me from modifying each client on the LAN and will show me surftime by user.

Thanks.

Offline ltc6netspec

• +0/-0
    • http://www.lth6.k12.il.us
Use IPCOP instead
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 04:29:04 PM »
Use IPCOP because you can get Dan's Guardian addon free.
www.IPCOP.org then look under addonz.  Very simple to use and setup.

loveless

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 04:47:08 PM »
If I remember correctly, the dungog.net content filter contrib does allow reporting by username.  But, you have to activate PAM authentication (also included).

And, IIRC, you'll need to specify the proxy server and port 8080 on each client.  I don't think I ever got the transparent proxy to work with DansGuardian.  (Depending on your network, this may vary in difficulty.  It's quite easy with Win2k/XP clients in an Active Directory network using GPOs.)

It has been quite some time since I looked at it though.

Offline stephen noble

• +1/-0
    • Dungog
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 12:46:11 PM »
>a web filtering solution that will keep me from modifying each client on the LAN

partly
you can have transparent, but that doesn't record the user

the low tech method of getting users to enter the values themselves will work if they want www bad enough

eg
transparent users go into default group
they get a blanket ban except for whitelisted sites

authenticated users
go into group A or group B with less restrictions
or none at all

>and will show me surftime by user.
no

regards
stephen noble

Offline sgt-spam

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I plan on looking into this a little more over the weekend when I don't have as much day-to-day garbage to worry about...