Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

index.htm not displayed

axcairns

index.htm not displayed
« on: March 05, 2004, 10:42:30 AM »
Hi,

I have just set up my first SME Server (yay!) and am having one small problem.

I have set up several i-bays, including two that contain html/php code. The rest are just internal file servers.

One of the html enabled i-bays functions correctly. If I specify the ibay name in the address the index.html page displays perfectly. I also pointed the primary domain to this i-bay (didn't think of using the primary i-bay until too late).

The other html enabled i-bay refuses to display the default web-page (index.html). Even if I specify index.html on the command line I get no response and NO ERRORS. The window title just stays the same as the last page loaded. If I specify another page (a php login page) it works fine.

I am confused. There is probably a simple answer to this.

Help!

Allan

axcairns

index.htm not displayed
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 11:16:53 AM »
Oh god this is getting worse. Now it's happening to other .html pages and I can't understand why some and not others!

This just went from minor annoyance to showstopper.

PLEASE HELP!

Allan

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
More info in "messages" log
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 01:15:34 PM »
You should be seeing some errors in your logs ... please post same for assistance.

Anonymous

index.htm not displayed
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
Nothing of interest in the logs but I think I found the problem.

These pages previously resided on an IIS web server. The php pages are descended from ASP pages on the original site. When redeveloping the site as PHP/MySQL the following two lines which appeared at the top of all my pages caused problems -

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Strange thing is, they never caused a problem in the html pages and, for the last month, have worked quite happily on a Gentoo Linux/Apache webserver. If I now remove those lines from the problem pages they work fine. Is it possible the version of apache e-smith uses has a problem with that code? Gentoo is pretty bleeding edge (one of the reasons I am switching to SMES) so I was probably using a more recent apache version on that. Alternately, is there a config setting in apache that affects this?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Allan

cydonia

index.htm not displayed
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 09:52:19 AM »
I am having the same problems...

It seems that Apache on SME doesn't like doctype declarations.

The specific line that causes the trouble for me is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

It works fine on my vhost server though...