Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Network access over the internet via e-smith

$ilent Troopa

Network access over the internet via e-smith
« on: September 11, 2001, 06:35:57 AM »
Hi, is it possible to assess the local network that is behind the e-smith server? I have a small network mainly comprising of win2k machines and I'm looking to use some remote control software so that I can use the machines as if I was sat at them (similar to laplink & pc any where) If I can access the local network behind e-smith would it be using a web browser or would I need other software?

Would there be any advantage to setting up a dedicated server for a gateway, one for HTTP one for FTP and another for a Mail server? They would not be in heavy use but what I'm thinking is running each service on a separate machine so that the specs of the machines don't have to be high spec. Is it relativly easy to setup 3 machines in this way?

They would all be conected to the internet over a cable modem service and all share the same external IP address (as long as this works) I would be happy to hear your coments and to know from anyone that has set this kind of system up.

Bfn

$T 2001

jon

Re: Network access over the internet via e-smith
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2001, 12:58:14 PM »
If I understand you correctly, you could vpn into your network (vpn access is set up in the e-smith manager) and then use pc anywhere, remote anything etc to remote control any of the workstations, this method is quite secure as I understand it. I have done this and it works well.

It is a different matter however if you want to use a workstation behind an e-smith server to access another workstation behind a second e-smith server. You need ipsec vpn for that and it is rather more difficult to set up. e-smith will have this available in the next version (at additional expense)

WXP

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2001, 04:06:21 PM »
OK.. jon gave you a part of the answer I think.

You have another way to access your local network. VPN is secure but
it's still anoying to set it up everywhere you go.
you have something which could be more interesting. the port forwarding.
That means for example that the pc PC3 has VNC installed
on the ip 5901 and that pc is connected to E-smith so VNC is only
accessible on your local network.
If you want to have access from anywhere in the world, just forward the
port 5901 of your server to the client PC3.
And then you give the ip of your server to VNC Client and the port 5901
and it is directly forwarded on your pc PC3 on your local network.

Hope this helps.

$ilent Troopa

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2001, 12:29:28 PM »
Thanks for your help and response.

The software that I am thinking of using is NetOp and I have heard back from them and they tell me that I will need to open UDP or TCP Port 6502 on e-smith to access the NetOp software on the Win2k machines. Does anyone know of any security problems with this port? I guess it is safe.

It is unlikely that I will need to access a workstation behind an e-smith server to access another workstation behind a second e-smith server as i will install NetOp on each machine I need access to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Would there be any advantage to setting up a dedicated server for a gateway, one for HTTP one for FTP and another for a Mail server? They would not be in heavy use but what I'm thinking is running each service on a separate machine so that the specs of the machines don't have to be high spec. Is it relativly easy to setup 3 machines in this way?

They would all be conected to the internet over a cable modem service and all share the same external IP address (as long as this works) I would be happy to hear your coments and to know from anyone that has set this kind of system up."

Thanks

$ T 2001