Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Cannot connect with the Domain name, but ok to 192.xxx

dull

« on: August 19, 2004, 08:55:48 PM »
I tried to install SME 6.0.1 to several PC.  Some works, some don't and some works in a while and then it doesn't.

My problem is, I cannot connect to the http://domain on the same network internally both behind the router, but no problem if I connect from outside (router forward and DMZ to 192.168.x.x). It only works if I type http://192.168.x.x.

I can ping the SME server IP, but not the domain.

What should I check or something I have missed?

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:57:18 PM »
configure your workstation(s) to use SME as primary DNS server.

dull

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 09:31:55 PM »
Both SME server and the workstation are behind the same router, this will work?

My point is, it works before without setting SME as the primary server.  If I have to do it, how ?

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 09:49:12 AM »
Then you are using ISP DNS server it points to external routers IP. For your workstation it has to bounce back from router via NAT. Linux's NAT doesn't support it.
If you use for workstation internal DNS server on SME it will give SME's local (private) IP for your domain and it will work.

dull

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 12:51:11 AM »
Well, maybe I am stupid that I don't follow your quote and still wondering what should I do in order to make it work.  

I tried to use proxy server method, it works that I can reach the SME server page, but then I cannot use internet at the workstation.

Quote from: "Boris"
Then you are using ISP DNS server it points to external routers IP. For your workstation it has to bounce back from router via NAT. Linux's NAT doesn't support it.
If you use for workstation internal DNS server on SME it will give SME's local (private) IP for your domain and it will work.

Offline Boris

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 01:19:11 AM »
Configure your workstation to use your SME sever's private address as DNS (192.168.x.x) and don't use proxy setting for your browser.