Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[ANNOUNCE]: New Spam Filter Server Manager Module

Offline albatroz

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 07:05:50 PM »
Dungog.net paid email filtering contrib also comes with a spamassassin 2.6x installation/configuration, I wonder how does your contrib could affect it.

Thanks in advance
Alejandro Lengua

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.scanmailx.com
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 01:24:53 AM »
The filter will work just fine but will not sort to junkmail and autodelete above 15. Therefore I would recommend that you disable these values. The result will be that the email will be tagged in the subject field with [SPAM score of sensitivity] when they have been detected as spam.

/Jesper

Offline sgt-spam

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 04:18:21 AM »
Just to be sure I did a signal-event post-upgrade, but my messages marked spam are still hitting the inbox.

Jesper - is there anything I can check or send you that may help, or am I an isolated incident?

Thanks!

Offline smeghead

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 07:02:43 AM »
.. had dig through the script and noticed that there are no obvious hooks into the email stream; the old setup used to replace the qmail-queue file with a custom one that called the orig after the spam check.

How is the new setup hooking the email stream?

I use the Dungog a/v stuff and this does it by calling spamassassin via the amavis.conf file if the option is checked on, is this how the new setup works?

Offline jmarcosm

• +0/-0
Re: [ANNOUNCE]: New Spam Filter Server Manager Module
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 11:26:08 PM »
Is possible to install this in a 5.6 vers.? I have already installed spamassassin and clamav.

Thanks in advance

Marcos

Quote from: "Knuddi"
The SME SpamFilter uses the new SpamAssassinV3 (release candidate 1) engine and has updated Razor2, and DCC network test modules associated. In the new Server-Manager panel it has been made very simple to configure Real Time Block/Black Lists (RBLs), White/Black Lists (WBLs) and other SpamAssasssin functions.  

See HowTo at:
http://sme.swerts-knudsen.dk/howtos/howto_29.htm

Please notice that this is a beta release so I am looking forward to get some feedback.

Rgds,
Jesper Knudsen
http://sme.swerts-knudsen.dk

Offline jmarcosm

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 11:30:16 PM »
Is possible to install this in a 5.6 vers.? I have already installed spamassassin and clamav.

Thanks in advance

Marcos

Rogue

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 11:58:38 PM »
I have noticed a problem - it seems mail retreived via fetchmail is not being filtered.

I don't know if this is a result of this update, or was happening before, as I have only just added the fetchmail accounts.

Yesterday I received about 500 emails, of which about 300 were spam. The daily report shows only 13 emails, no spam (which is about right for the domain account on the server).

Any ideas on how to get the fetchmail mail filtered through SA?

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 11:20:43 AM »
A few answeres to above questions.

- The SpamFilter will only work on 6.0.x
- The spamfilter hooks into the queue dependant of other installed packages.

1) If pagefault.org's antivirus is installed then is follow the rules set by Damien.

To enable Spamassassin after installing and configuring these packages via the web manager panel at the command line type the commands:

/sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop amavis-ng qmail-queue /var/qmail/bin/qmail-spamc
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event email-update.

2) If my own ClamAV script is installed then it will change the qmail-queue parameter in the amavis.conf file

3) If none of the above then it will directly hook into the queue system via:

/sbin/e-smith/db configuration setprop smtpfront-qmail ExternalInterfacesFilter /usr/bin/qmail-spamc
/sbin/e-smith/signal-event email-update

I do not know how dungog.net
interacts so I cannot say whether they can work together and how.

With respect to fetchmail then I will try to see how I can get this to work - stay tuned.

Sgt-Spam, I do not understand why you do get your email filtered and they arrive in the inbox. I do enable procmail per default. Could you post or email the procmail file for a given user?

/home/e-smith/files/users/xxx/.procmailrc

/Jesper

Offline sgt-spam

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 11:58:11 AM »
Quote from: "Knuddi"
Sgt-Spam, I do not understand why you do get your email filtered and they arrive in the inbox. I do enable procmail per default. Could you post or email the procmail file for a given user?

/home/e-smith/files/users/xxx/.procmailrc

/Jesper

Actually, I don't have a .procmailrc file (ls -al to show hidden) in any of my accounts.  I even created an account after the fact to see if that would help.

The script I used to install (not sure if it's been updated but I'll try a re-install after I hit 'Submit') is here.

Thanks for your time!

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 12:41:21 PM »
The script you used is correct and the latest - there is no need to re-install.

I assume that you have enabled the sorting funtions in the spamfilter :-) so my best suggestion would be to try to manually enable procmail. If you have UserPanel installed then try to enable for one user and check the .procmailrc file again.

You can also do the following (also requires usermanager but is easy):

# wget http://sme.swerts-knudsen.dk/downloads/SpamAssassin/lat-procmail
# lat-procmail -c "*|enabled|no|some|normal"

/Jesper

Offline sgt-spam

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 01:50:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice Jesper.

I downloaded / installed Dungog's userpanel and associated dependencies, then downloaded lat-procmail and executed it as you suggested.

Wa-la - email above the spam threshold is now being filtered to the junkmail folder, and messages marked spam above 15 are being deleted.

I looked back through your how-to and attempted to read the script that runs and did not see mention of the userpanel on the how-to or procmail in the script.  Did I miss a prerequisite (or misread the how-to / script)?  Not trying to be dumb (it comes easy to me) - just want to make sure when I go to load this at the office I've done it the right way.  Your additional steps are no trouble; just want to make sure I don't have any surprises.

Again, thanks, and good work!

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 03:03:44 PM »
Actually I have integrated the vital portions of the UserPanel and Lat-procmail in the spamfilter RPM to avoid having these as required installs.

I guess I have to have a look to see whether something wasn't done right.

Rgds,
Jesper

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2004, 09:43:30 PM »
Jesper,

This is good work, OK great work!  I upgraded SA on one of my test boxes without a hitch.  Up above you state that you will lose your RBL and WBL entries.  Your previous RBL entries really aren't lost until you save/restart on the spamfilter panel the first time.  For the RBL entries, is it possilbe to modify your script to read the output from /sbin/e-smith/db configuration getprop smtpfront-qmail RBLList?  If so, then if there are entries, you could capture them, and import them into /home/e-smith/spamassassin_V3 using  /sbin/e-smith/db spamassassin_V3 set rbl.global \|RBL1\|\RBL2\|.  That way, one wouldn't lose what they already had set.  Or, instead of re-inventing the wheel, just have your panel read the RBLList entries from the smtpfront-qmail property.  Once you save your entries from the spamfilter panel, it updates the entries in both DB's anyway.  For the WBL entries is it possible to modify your script to read the entries in the /home/e-smith/spamassassin DB and extract the entries from wbl.global and put them in /home/e-smith/spamassassin_V3?  That way, those entries are lost as well.  When you upgrade to spamfilter, the previous spamassassin DB still resides on the server.  Just my 2 cents worth.  You have done a great job with putting this together.  I, and the many others that have come to use/test your scripts appreciate your efforts.

Thanks,

JB

Jon_Reynolds

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 05:42:02 AM »
Hey Jesper,

One thing I have noticed that in the spam report it is not giving a percentage blocked for RBL's. I have watched the log and am seeing 451's so I know it is using them to block but just not recording in the spam result file mailes to the administrator. Is there an easy way to correct this? I am using the new spam filter by you and pagefaults latest AV.

Thanks for any help,

Jon

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2004, 02:26:42 PM »
Hi,

I have now released an updated SpamFilter. It can be downloaded at:

# rpm -Uvh http://sme.swerts-knudsen.dk/downloads/SpamFilter/sme-spamfilter-1.0.1-1.noarch.rpm

Items corrected in RPM:
- Daily spam statistics should now correctly count RBL rejects
- procmail was not always updated correctly leaving tagged emails in inbox rather than being transfers to junkmail
- procmail was not always updated correctly leaving emails with score above 15 left in Inbox

Install script enhancements when upgrading from e-smith-spamassassin (SpamAssassin V2) (done in spamfilter_install.sh)
- WBL are being migrated to SpamFilter
- If RBL list had been installed as per Ray Mitchell's Howto these are migrated to SpamFilter

Rgds,
Jesper