Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Trying to install SME 6.0.1 on SATA RAID ... BUG in SME ...

gatox

Same feeling here
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2004, 10:35:32 PM »
Got a Promise SX4000Lite IDE Raid card and SME won't allow me to load the drivers at any given point.

Nor by pressing "Shift" or "Ctrl-X" or answering the questions to Yes to load device drivers.

Somebody should really fix this since personnally I do not have time to fiddle with the Kernel.

I need something that works first time.  How can we promote such a wonderful distro if we can't load new drivers for NEWER technology.

Just my 2 cents.

nemtex

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2004, 12:20:20 PM »
idkeen,

First of all I would like to point out my Linux skills, apart from being able to pronounce it properly, are pretty much non existent. Well I can just about operate ‘MC’ as ‘VI’ just confuses the hell out of me.

I have a Promise sx4000 and I have been having the same problems as Gatox.

I have tried to install the driver prepared by idkeen but they do not load. I have installed SME on a standard IDE drive and installed the drivers, worked fine this way.

I then tried something that I used to do with windows systems, Ghost the partitions onto the RAID. I was pretty hopeful because of successes before.

Copied across fine, although it did take much longer than I had expected, still copied across no probs.

When it came to booting up, I got the SME/LILO splash screen. and it started to boot..... for a second or two.

From reading other posts on Contribs, I believe this to be a problem with the boot order. How can I change this on the standard drive so that the order is correct when transferred onto the RAID….. or am I wasting my time because ghosting drives in this situation just will not work with SME?

I have read posts about putting the fasttrak drivers into the initrd, whatever that is and something about PCITABLE and MODINFO?????

The reason I ask is Gatox seems to be having the same problem as me, I seem to have tried something no one else in this situation has (using Ghost) and idkeen has created a driver disk that actually works making you (idkeen) the most logical choice to ask for help.

If you could point me in the right direction or give me a rough idea what to do, I can give it a go (books, websites etc). Unfortunately at this point it looks like I may have to turn to Windows, a shame really because I’ve been using SME since v4 and never had a problem with it before.

Thanks for any help available

James

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
Intel S875WP1-E
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2005, 02:47:04 PM »
And here I'm with the same problem: Invested on this new hardware to find I couldn't load SME, not even 6.5a finds my Adaptec SATA.
Jeremy, what have you done after all?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Intel S875WP1-E
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2005, 04:25:25 PM »
Quote from: "stuntshell"
And here I'm with the same problem: Invested on this new hardware to find I couldn't load SME, not even 6.5a finds my Adaptec SATA.

Use your new hardware for a workstation, and some older hardware for the server.

unit10help

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 10:41:43 PM »
Has there been anyone that has figured this out.. We just got in a new dell with sata SAs, and are having the same problem..  please help

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007, 11:47:57 PM »
Quote from: "unit10help"
Has there been anyone that has figured this out.. We just got in a new dell with sata SAs, and are having the same problem..  please help

SME 6.0.1 is obsolete. Nobody should be trying to use it.

unit10help

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2007, 04:42:22 PM »
6.0.1 maybe obsolete as far as an old release, but it does the job that is needed.  with that said, I would happly use 7 but the user authentication program that we use doesn't work with 7.

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2007, 03:26:06 AM »
Quote from: "unit10help"
6.0.1 maybe obsolete as far as an old release, but it does the job that is needed.  with that said, I would happly use 7 but the user authentication program that we use doesn't work with 7.

What user authentication?

unit10help

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2007, 05:36:33 PM »
the rpms used to install aresme-upgppp-1.0-1.noarch.rpm and sme-squid-1.0-2.i386.rpm

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
You have both available for 7!

unit10help

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »
no they work on 6.01, but our new server is running SAS and 6.01 doesn't support SAS.  SME 7 will install but those RPms will not install correctly.  I have been looking to find an updated version to those rpms but cannot find any.

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2007, 06:31:28 PM »
OK, I wasn't clear.
You ain't gonna install RPMs made for SME6, look in the contribs section

unit10help

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
I have looked and not found anything.  seems like most are going to dansguardian.  I would prefer to stick with what i know.