Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

PANIC !!!!!!

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
PANIC !!!!!!
« on: July 29, 2004, 08:46:03 PM »
I've tried to install WebGUI following Ergin's How-To http://Http://ergin.dyndns.org/download/webgui/webgui603.htm and after instruction number 4 I got al lot of errors and since that moment I can't do anything with my server anymore.
I tried to reboot but I get the message that I can't mount or unmount, only the root can do that.
The error I get is:
grep: /proc/mounts: no such file or directory

Is there any hope for any repair, please say yes.......

Jon_Reynolds

PANIC !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:43:22 PM »
Hello,

I looked at your post and then at the howto you followed. Here is what Step 4 says:

4. Move files to Apache DocumentRoot, chown and chmod...
[root@smeserver601 root]# mv WebGUI /home/e-smith/files/primary/html/
[root@smeserver601 root]# cd /home/e-smith/files/primary/html/
[root@smeserver601 html]# chown -R www.www /

The last line looks as if it would change the permissions on your entire box to www.www, did this happen? If so, you will probably want to reinstall and ask the author of the howto to clarify this step a little more.

Hope that helps,

Jon

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
PANIC !!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:44:33 PM »
After [root@smeserver601 html]# chown -R www.www /
I got a lot (+/- 10) of errors about permissions.
The problem is, there's al lot of data in the user-boxes I don't want to lose, so if it is in any way possible I don't want to reinstall.

Jon_Reynolds

PANIC !!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 02:53:37 AM »
I think your hosed. This is what I would do though, I would make another sme box set it up just like your old one then transfer the data over. There might be something in SME that will reset the permissions so ask on the 'Experienced' list about that.

Jon

tape

PANIC !!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 01:11:05 AM »
it is a typo, the howto says "chown -R www.www WebGUI/" and not "chown -R www.www /".
Do a backup, if possible, then reinstall.

hth
Anton

Jon_Reynolds

PANIC !!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »
Quote from: "tape"
it is a typo, the howto says "chown -R www.www WebGUI/" and not "chown -R www.www /".
Do a backup, if possible, then reinstall.

hth
Anton

It most definitely did not say that yesterday. My post and the quote of Step 4 was cut and pasted right off of the website mentioned from the original post. The one good thing about it now being corrected is that we now know that the author of the page is right on top of any mistakes or typo's. Very Nice!

Jon

Offline EdelingF

• +0/-0
Thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 12:16:25 PM »
Thank you all, I see now I have made a big mistake!
I've copied the Howto from internet to Word and I think thats were it went wrong.
Luckely I was able to backup almost all my files.

Freek