Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Public DNS on SME 6.01

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
Public DNS on SME 6.01
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2005, 07:39:09 PM »
Michel,
If you're using dyndns, then that's where you name resolution lies, to make domain2 work you would need to create another account with them and point to your server. After that your server would know how to handle the directories to show. This thread is about having your own nameserver, where you register a domain and point to your SME and let it do the job.
-Aboout your issues with xoops:
Are you using your server in server/gateway mode? If so, and having SME as your DNS server inside your network, whatever domains you add to it, should resolve locally. The problems are not related to your permissions.

Hope this helps,

micronator

www.domain.com and domain.com
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2005, 08:58:11 PM »
Sorry stuntshell about dropping into a thread like that but this is the only place where there is somebody having the same problem. I looked into many other places and I didn't find a solution.

I am using the server as server&gateway

I have another server somewhere else and I have the same problem. So this time I decided to solve the problem.

That other server is also using dyndns for another domain than the Primary and it is using both domains name in the same account at dyndns.

Last night, I aslo thought that is was because there were 2 domains under the same account at dyndns so I had a friend to create another account at dyndns so I can try with only 1 domain by account. I have the same problem. So I don't think it is because of the 2 domains under the same account.

I am not at the location of that server. I worked from home.
I ssh to the remote server and I can locally ping both (www.domain2.dyndns.org) and (domain2.dyndns.org). So the server should be OK.

From home I can ping (domain2.dyndns.org) but not (www.domain2.dyndns.org): unknown host www.domain2.dyndns.org . So it looks like dyndns.org has something wrong but it is working for the Primary and not for the second domain. Both are configured the same standard way.

In httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost 0.0.0.0:80>
    ServerName www.domain2.dyndns.org
    ServerAlias domain2.dyndns.org  toto.domain2.dyndns.org
    DocumentRoot         /home/e-smith/files/ibays/dom2/html
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /home/e-smith/files/ibays/dom2/cgi-bin
    Alias       /files   /home/e-smith/files/ibays/dom2/files

Everything looks good both at dyndns.org and at the server. There is something I am missing.

If I cannot find something then I will try to do my own dns server but this is quite something and I would like to solve my problem until I can do my own dns server.

Again I am sorry to drop in like that but as I wrote above it is the only place I found with the exact same problem. If this is a problem or an inpoliteness, please tell me and I will not post again.

Michel-André

micronator

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2005, 01:18:55 AM »
Maybe I found something and I think it is quite weird.

I use lynx to acces (hhtp://www.domain2.dyndns.org) and I ended up at (org.com).
At the bottom of that page there is a link:(Information on how you reached this site), I clicked on it and this is the message:
  Org.com [transpar.gif]
   Only the best links ...
   HOTELS  |  CREDIT   CARDS  |  LOANS  |  GIFTS  |  GAMBLING  |  INVESTING  |  EDUCATION  |  HEALTH   &
   FITNESS  |  FLOWERS
   Occasionally  we  receive inquiries from users who do not understand why they have accessed our site.
   Please  be advised that you are not reaching our site as a result of spyware. We are not exactly sure
   why  you  have  been  directed  here, however, we believe it is a result of the autosearch feature of
   Internet  Explorer.  If  a  site entered into the address bar cannot be accessed, Explorer apparently
   appends  ".com"  to  the  name  and then tries to access that site. In the case of a search ending in
   .org,  Explorer  thus accesses our domain, "org.com." If you wish to turn off this behavior, we think
   it can be successfully accomplished by doing the following:
   1. From the "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options".
   2. Click on the "Advanced" tab.
   3. Under "Search from the Address Bar", select "Do not search from the Address bar".
   4. Click "OK".
   5. You may need to restart your computer.
   Please  note  that  this  does  not solve the problem of why you could not access the original search
   term,  and  if  that  site is still not accessible (due to DNS problems, a server being down, network
   problems,  a  typographical  error,  etc.)  you  should  now receive an error that the page cannot be
   displayed.
   HOTELS  |  CREDIT CARDS  |  LOANS  |  GIFTS  |  GAMBLING  |  INVESTING  |  EDUCATION  |  HEALTH &
   FITNESS  |  FLOWERS
      Copyright 2005, Org.com

I never heard of such a thing.

If I use lynx again and I type the address of the other server which have the same problem, I end up at the same url.

Is there somebody who ever saw that?

Michel-Andre

Offline Franco

• +0/-0
    • http://contribs.org
Public DNS on SME 6.01
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2005, 02:16:49 AM »
Michel,
This proves once again you're having name resolution problems. You've already mention you're using the gateway mode, another question would be about the DNS, are you using SME as DNS or did you set up to use from your provider?
I don't mean to be rude, or anything like that, but it would be best if you create another topic with these issues, so we can keep things organized. Also it would be easier for other people to help, since they will read the subject and maybe know exactly what your problem may be.

Regards and good luck!

micronator

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2005, 03:43:43 AM »
I send an email to dyndns explaining the situation. I just recieved an answer that solve the problem.

You have the 'wildcard' feature disabled for your 'domain2.dyndns.org' host, you need to have that feature enabled for 'www.domain.dyndns.org' to resolve to your IP address.  You can enable the wildcard setting on the configuration page for your 'domain2.dyndns.org'
host.

A real newbie mistake. :oops:
I hope it will help others.

Thank you for your patience stuntshell.

Michel-AndrĂ©  :pint: